Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Jimmy Boeheim Petitioning for Extra Season Due to Ivy Shutdown        (Topic#25859)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-14-22 11:45 AM - Post#333263    

From D1 Ticker:

Syracuse will petition the NCAA for MBB student-athlete Jimmy Boeheim to be able to return for a fifth season. For context: "The NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility to 2020-21 athletes due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Ivy League cancelled that season because of the pandemic, and therefore the conference's athletes were not afforded that same extra year. Jimmy Boeheim played for Cornell at the time, and it was that cancellation that led to him transferring to Syracuse in the first place." SINow's Sweeney observes: "This is worth watching from a precedent standpoint. The COVID year was put in place not as an extra year, but as a 'this year doesn't count' standpoint. For the Ivy guys who literally couldn't play, getting it as an extra year would be huge. And there are a bunch of them." ( link , link )

The Syracuse.com article is behind a paywall, but there is an updated comment from the coach that can be viewed:

UPDATE: Jim Boeheim was asked a follow-up question Friday morning about Jimmy’s status and said he didn’t think the senior forward would be interested in returning for a fifth year, but it is an option they’re looking at. He also said the choice is completely up to Jimmy, and any other player that has the option to return for another season.

“This is his choice,” Boeheim said on Gomez & Company. “It has nothing to do with the dad side at all or coach side. It’s his decision. Buddy (Boeheim) could come back. Cole (Swider) could come back. At the beginning of the year, I don’t think there was any interest for any of these guys to come back. Could that change by the end of the year? You know, things always can change but you have to wait and see and let them make their decision for what’s best for them.”

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Jimmy Boeheim Petitioning for Extra Season Due to Ivy Shutdown
01-14-22 12:21 PM - Post#333264    
    In response to rbg

His request makes sense to me but I am not sure if stated rules will block his request. Why should an athlete suffer based on the decision by only one conference?

Never understood why IL Presidents would not allow a player to have a 5th year at their school instead of being a Graduate Transfer but that is a different topic.

CM 
Senior

Reg: 10-11-18
01-17-22 08:58 AM - Post#333452    
    In response to bradley

Apparently the IL presidents revisited the 5th year discussion last year and reaffirmed their stand that the league will never allow it., I'd love to hear their reasoning.

As for the additional year of eligibility for all IL athletes, the number of kids who would take advantage of it would be vanishingly small, so why not do it.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-17-22 10:35 AM - Post#333456    
    In response to bradley

Penn and a few others allow it for a true medical redshirt (as long as the student has not been graduated). I don't know why all don't do it and allow it to be applied to the missed year, with the caveat that the Ivies will never allow graduated students to play as 5th year players with the exception of the lost year, which applies to a tiny number of players.

CM 
Senior

01-17-22 01:17 PM - Post#333476    
    In response to palestra38

Basically if you medical redshirt you also have to drop out of school for the year. Because paying for a year of school while not playing your sport does not make any sense at all.

I believe most IL schools also have limits on the number of full years you can receive financial aid, making a fifth year even more troublesome. I know they offered a blanket weird 5th year option for the class of 2021 if they wanted to come back to their same institution, but it involved having to apply to grad school at your same school, get aid, etc. And they made the offer incredibly late in the year, too. I don't think a single IL basketball player opted to do it.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-17-22 01:30 PM - Post#333484    
    In response to CM

Rai, Barry, Choh are all major players who are playing as grad students this year. I think there are a couple of others who are depth players. It was late, but some guys did it.

CM 
Senior

01-17-22 01:33 PM - Post#333486    
    In response to SomeGuy

So it's interesting, Rai is listed a 5th year and Barry as a grad student. Wonder what the distinction is.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.18 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 AM