Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 8 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#25894)
Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Yale
01-23-22 11:43 AM - Post#334144    
    In response to penn nation

Rough estimate from the PBP in the box score is they were together for 12 of Slajchert’s 19 minutes on court yesterday.

• penn nation Said:
I'd be interested to see a breakdown here, but at least in my faulty memory Slajchert and Dingle aren't often on the court at the same time.

• palestra38 Said:
They shouldn't be able to do it because Slajchert is also very tough in the half court if not doubled and Charles, Smith and Martz are all very effective 3 point shooters. Problem is we often have too many other guys taking too many shots, along with giving up too many second chances. But we have a mix of players that should be very tough to beat at our level....demonstrated by a beginning to end defeat of the consensus favorite.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-23-22 11:44 AM - Post#334145    
    In response to TheLine

Fortunately, Yale had no more luck from 3 than Penn did. The other narrative this game supports is that this Yale team does not have its usual frontcourt depth and makes them a better matchup for Penn as was discussed pregame.

Speaking of Dingle, does anyone else see some Allen Iverson in his game beyond the jersey number?

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-23-22 12:08 PM - Post#334147    
    In response to Streamers

The Penn player he’s reminding me of a lot lately is Mike Jordan. At the same stage in their careers MJ was also a ball-dominant point whose biggest weakness on O was a tendency to over-penetrate and throw up a few too many low percentage, heavily-contested shots in traffic. As he matured he got a lot better at choosing his spots and angles to drive, and at involving his teammates more when those opportunities weren’t there.

Not sure MJ ever ate possessions at Dingle’s current rate, but would love to see some KenPom/Dean Oliver breakdowns of the data from that era to check that assumption.

• Streamers Said:
Fortunately, Yale had no more luck from 3 than Penn did. The other narrative this game supports is that this Yale team does not have its usual frontcourt depth and makes them a better matchup for Penn as was discussed pregame.

Speaking of Dingle, does anyone else see some Allen Iverson in his game beyond the jersey number?

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-23-22 12:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-23-22 01:23 PM - Post#334149    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Speaking from experience, I'm sure you are very glad to have Dingle. Every team needs someone to take over when the offense drags or the shot clock is running down. Guys like Wes Saunders and Bryce Aiken were valuable, but there is a worry about the ball sticking in that player's hands. Dingle is not a negative like Stephon Marbury or Carmelo Anthony could be, despite their talents.

I watched some of yesterday's game. Neither offense thrived, and I respectfully believe that the difference was the ability of Dingle to create vs the fact that Penn seemed to limit Swain's ability to do the same when he tried to take over.

I always valued the perspective of an outsider/opponent. It tells you what others fear and feel - make of it what you may. Without Dingle, it seems that Penn's offense is less dangerous.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-23-22 03:12 PM - Post#334152    

That is one way to frame it.

Another is to say that, of the 32.5 minutes that Dingle played, Slajchert was on the court for 12 of them (assuming your data are accurate).

From what I have seen this year, far more often than not, Slajchert is on the court during the first point in the game when Dingle takes a breather.

• Chip Bayers Said:
Rough estimate from the PBP in the box score is they were together for 12 of Slajchert’s 19 minutes on court yesterday.

• penn nation Said:
I'd be interested to see a breakdown here, but at least in my faulty memory Slajchert and Dingle aren't often on the court at the same time.

• palestra38 Said:
They shouldn't be able to do it because Slajchert is also very tough in the half court if not doubled and Charles, Smith and Martz are all very effective 3 point shooters. Problem is we often have too many other guys taking too many shots, along with giving up too many second chances. But we have a mix of players that should be very tough to beat at our level....demonstrated by a beginning to end defeat of the consensus favorite.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Re: Yal
01-23-22 03:22 PM - Post#334153    

Your response to my post.

"Your grasp of KenPom data and it’s meaning is terribly shallow. Do some homework."

My response to your post.

Your analysis of the data I presented was right on. Nice post!

Thanks for the lesson. Perhaps my homework will be to always look up your posts before I make another post.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Re: Dingle passing
01-23-22 03:32 PM - Post#334155    
    In response to Streamers

Some relevant data

Pomeroy assist ratings in order of years

AJ, 14.1 16.8 26.5 31

There's the progress everybody wanted from him.

Jordan 13.4 17.4

Jordan is ahead of AJ as a second-year player. If he can make the huge jumps that AJ made thereafter, we will be very happy.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-23-22 03:56 PM - Post#334159    
    In response to UPIA1968

Haven’t had much time lately due to work and dad duties, but wanted to chime in to day yesterday was a great win and loved to see it as a fan. This team has some big holes, but the desire and effort is always there.

That said, there are some points in this thread that defy logic in my view… will share a different perspective as time permits.

One thing I want to comment on first - I’ve seen a few folks (@Penndemonium I feel like you mentioned this, correct me if wrong) imply that those fans disappointed with the state of program somehow think the players don’t play hard I completely disagree. I never see anyone questioning effort.

More thoughts to share when I can.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-23-22 04:48 PM - Post#334160    
    In response to Mike Porter

There was a specific comment by P38 re effort during the Princeton game. I think that was probably more a fan’s frustrated reaction to losing to Princeton more than anything else.

I think this team competes hard and keeps bouncing back from setbacks in an impressive way.

palestra38 
Professor

Yale
01-23-22 05:03 PM - Post#334161    
    In response to SomeGuy

This was my comment:

"But the lethargy of this team today and in all of our games against Princeton over the last 3 seasons is totally unacceptable. I remember when Penn would refuse to lose to Princeton. I don't see that anymore"

It was just a comment that I don't think they have the killer instinct when it comes to Princeton that Penn teams used to have---not that they are not playing hard generally. No question that it came out of frustration, but IMO, we used to play harder and with some anger against Princeton.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-23-22 06:59 PM - Post#334166    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I think I disagree a little here regarding offense and defense. We have an offense that has hovered right around being the best offense we’ve had since Dunphy left from a statistical standpoint relative to the rest of division one. I’m not sure the offense being even better is really the way to get where we need to be, simply because there is less room to improve.

As another poster pointed out, in a small six game sample size we have been playing better defensively in conference (OCC we had the #2 offense and the #7 defense in the league, while in league we have been #2 in defense so far). Playing Smith more has made a big difference on the defensive end. Regardless, defense is the area where there is significant room to improve overall.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-23-22 08:54 PM - Post#334170    
    In response to LyleGold

But the issue (and I think what nychoops is kind of getting at with his question about “what that means to you”) is that the same efforts and choices by Jordan may lead to both the “good” open shots and the “bad” forced shots. So you may not get one without the other. If you get 13 of 24, in a sense it doesn’t matter if he tossed the 11 missed shots backwards over his head into the stands or had them go in and out — it’s still a good shooting percentage. When you say Jordan probably missed shots during Yale’s run, well sure his usage rate makes that more likely. But whether it is the team or Dingle going 13 of 24 with the natural ebbs and flows that entails, it’s still just the flow of basketball (and reasonably efficient basketball). I’ll take that every day.

All that said, don’t take any of that as saying Jordan and the staff shouldn’t be thinking about how to get even more efficient. I assume he will continue to add wrinkles and develop every year — just like AJ, Rosen, Ugonna, MJ, Allen, and Maloney did. Dingle is already so good offensively that, as with some of those other guys, the improvements may not be statistically that stark (or even noticeable at all) his junior and senior years. But I fully expect he’ll keep adding to his game.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

01-23-22 09:23 PM - Post#334173    
    In response to SomeGuy

You make a bunch of good points, especially the examples of former Quakers who continued to develop their games over their four years. I already commented on the AJ analogy, who received some of the same criticism I’ve aimed at Dingle at a similar point in his career. I just can’t accept people saying, ”Leave Jordan alone, this is what you get with him. He is our best player after all. Oh, and let’s fire the coach since our gallant comeback against Princeton fell short.”

There’s ample margin for growth in Dingle’s game, and I imagine he would agree with that. If he does fulfill his potential, he’ll join that elite group you named (even being near the top of it) and he’ll bring the team along with him. I’m looking forward to seeing the first concrete evidence of it in March.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-23-22 11:00 PM - Post#334175    
    In response to LyleGold

Why would you rather criticize a 20 year old than the coach? That’s a weird mindset

LyleGold 
PhD Student

01-23-22 11:06 PM - Post#334176    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Nice try. I won’t bite.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-23-22 11:13 PM - Post#334177    
    In response to LyleGold

I don’t care if you bite or not. You’re being aggressively weird critic of the 31 point scorer vs the coach making hundreds of thousands of dollars for us to finish kenpom 200+.

palestra38 
Professor

01-24-22 08:45 AM - Post#334180    
    In response to Jeff2sf

The issue isn't whether Dingle can improve, it's whether he has taken difficult shots because he wants his points on a great team (see, McDonald, Keven) or because he is the only one who can get his own shot. And the obvious answer is the latter. If there is an area in which we need to improve, it's in the ball movement and setting picks for some of the catch and shoot players we have, notably Jonah Charles and Martz. That is a coaching issue, certainly not one for Dingle. And we had that same trouble in the second half against Yale, but got bailed out by Dingle and Slajchert floating through the lane.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-24-22 09:13 AM - Post#334181    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Says the author of the single most weirdly aggressive post regarding that 20 year old player (which began a whole weirdly aggressive thread).

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-24-22 09:39 AM - Post#334183    
    In response to SomeGuy

How dare you. I have ALWAYS made time out of my busy schedule to criticize the crappy job Steve has done. The good news is when you’re on a downward slope as this team has been for four years there’s plenty of blame to go around

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-24-22 10:11 AM - Post#334185    
    In response to Jeff2sf

and honestly, i still have no idea what to make of Jordan. He looks like one of the best ever at Penn. But his stats do not back that up... but his usage does...shrug.

Page 8 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:57 PM