Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: 522        (Topic#2596)
Husky - Bison 
maximus

Reg: 01-24-06
03-01-06 04:54 PM - Post#16560    

Average attendance for a Colgate home game this year.

Pathetic.

Bison22 
goober

Reg: 01-23-06
Re: 522
03-01-06 05:17 PM - Post#16561    
    In response to Husky - Bison

what's the point?

Anonymous 

03-01-06 05:58 PM - Post#16562    
    In response to Bison22

Or, to be precise, the average PUBLISHED attendance figure. Several people have told me that the actual CU attendance is even lower than what is shown in the box scores. For many games, they list virtually the same attendance - about 505. I'm not sure if they even have a ticket system for students to allow an accurate count.

Husky - Bison 
maximus

03-01-06 06:00 PM - Post#16563    
    In response to Bison22

To my post or to them playing DI basketball?

My point is that 522 people is a pathetic average for a DI program and the athletes at Colgate deserve better.

I do you bring a recruit the Court and show them 522 souls wathcing them play? They most probably played to crowds in HS much, much larger!

Bison22 
goober

03-02-06 02:12 PM - Post#16564    

just seems like a pointless topic...and compared to them...our football attendance is pathetic.....its all about winning....when I was at bucknell in 2000/2001 ...we were only pulling 1,000 in per game...and we have much larger local support......i don't know why colgate bball attendance is relevant to anything right now

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-02-06 02:42 PM - Post#16565    
    In response to Bison22

This is what we usually refer to as "a troll".

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
03-02-06 02:43 PM - Post#16566    
    In response to Bison22

or better yet, compare our hockey attendances... oh, wait.

522 is a really sad number... but there were ~29 division one teams (quick count) with averages below 1000 last year. colgate is one of the smallest and remotest schools in d1, which doesnt help. and, again, theyve got hockey.

also, at least on paper, thats UP from 383 last year.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Husky - Bison 
maximus

03-02-06 03:56 PM - Post#16567    
    In response to ericatbucknell

I'm not sure what to say other than don't respond to the thread if you're not interested in the topic. I could give a rat's a** about court storming but I don't criticize the topic.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-02-06 04:29 PM - Post#16568    

Maybe you should've posted this on the Colgate board.

Anonymous 

03-03-06 01:55 AM - Post#16569    
    In response to Bison22

Quote:

just seems like a pointless topic...and compared to them...our football attendance is pathetic.....its all about winning....when I was at bucknell in 2000/2001 ...we were only pulling 1,000 in per game...and we have much larger local support......i don't know why colgate bball attendance is relevant to anything right now

The games I attended in 2000-01 had much larger attendances than 1000. I don't know how perfect the attendances are in the box scores, but this is what the BU attendances were that year for PL games according to the box scores:

Opener vs Lock Haven drew 2083. Games in early January with no students around drew 927 and 812.

BTW, KB's statment on HoopTime last night about attendances of 200 was not accurate. While some crowds might have seemed like 200, the lowest BU attendance of his career at home is just under 800, according to the box scores. Most games in his freshman year had significantly larger attendances.

M.Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 02-11-06
03-03-06 02:04 AM - Post#16570    
    In response to

Wow... that Lock Haven game brings back memories. I remember they had this one kid who seriously looked like he was 10. So one of the guys in the Herd started a "Puberty!" chant... good times.

BuffaloBison 
Junior

Reg: 03-07-06
03-08-06 12:23 AM - Post#16571    
    In response to M.Bison

I'm with Husky on this. You can't separate Bucknell's b-ball future from the health of its league, and that turns on the health of all of its members. Sure, it'll hurt Colgate's recruiting if it can't get the numbers, but it will also hurt Bucknell (to a lesser extent, of course) if recruits realize that for half of their league games they'll be playing only in front of their opponents' family and close friends. In the long run, for Bucknell to thrive, the PL has to.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
03-08-06 01:35 AM - Post#16572    
    In response to BuffaloBison

I see a little bit of reshuffling in the PL at least in terms of men's basketball. IF (and that is a big if) teams like BU and HC continue to stay ahead of the pack, I see Colgate and Army leaving. But 2 teams would have to join. Who would the league consider good candidates (good academics/athletics)?

I could be crazy, but that is just my hunch.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
03-08-06 02:08 AM - Post#16573    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

I see a little bit of reshuffling in the PL at least in terms of men's basketball. IF (and that is a big if) teams like BU and HC continue to stay ahead of the pack, I see Colgate and Army leaving. But 2 teams would have to join. Who would the league consider good candidates (good academics/athletics)?

i dont think holy cross and bucknell being successful will have much impact on army or colgate. i dont think the league would want to boot either (army for obvious reasons, colgate as perhaps the leagues top academic institution). and, of course, theres colgate football.

anyway, it will be very interesting to see what happens when the big east splits. several teams are positioning themselves to make the jump on the football side of things (memphis, central florida, perhaps even east carolina), but its the basketball half of the conference that will have some interesting decisions to make. the programs the basketball half of the conference goes after will be intriguing, though. depending on who is taken by the big east, the atlantic 10s remaining teams may not make a lot of sense as a conference and could also split (st louis?), raiding the colonial and perhaps a bucknell or holy cross. this, in my mind, is the only way either team 'moves up'.

but to answer your question, boston university seems the best fit in my mind as an addition to the pl. the america east may soon find itself an inferior conference to the patriot... and a move might make sense. the only other teams i would really consider are much less likely candidates: fairfield (maac), william and mary (colonial), and davidson (southern).
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Anonymous 

03-08-06 02:08 AM - Post#16574    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

I think that's unlikely. Army, except for men's basketball, is one of the two dominant athletic powers in the league in both men's and women's sports (along with us). I couldn't imagine them leaving a league that works well for them in all sports except one. And in that one, men's basketball, there really is no league right now where they would be successful. They need to strengthen the program, not bolt the league. Colgate has been successful in some sports but they will certainly be getting better overall since they have pushed the envelope by starting to give scholarships in multiple sports. I doubt if the basketball tail will wag the all-sports dog.

Husky - Bison 
maximus

Pitfalls of Moving Up
03-08-06 12:18 PM - Post#16575    
    In response to

Fordham.........Enough said.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Re: Pitfalls of Moving Up
03-08-06 01:06 PM - Post#16576    

I dont think anyone would leave the Patriot League as a whole...I am just what iffing (and gettin way ahead of myself) as to what would happen if we turned into the WCC with Bucknell and Holy Cross way ahead of the pack. Would others, especially Army and Colgate with attendance isssues, look to leave for bball only? You never know. Weirder things have happened.

I think Davidson would be the best fit if that happened, followed by BU. At the moment, I believe William and Mary's bball team is awful.

jck45 
Junior

03-08-06 02:05 PM - Post#16577    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

I think Davidson would be the best fit if that happened,

I'm sure Willard would just love that....

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main....p;2s=NC&2z=

Anonymous 

03-08-06 02:20 PM - Post#16578    
    In response to jck45

1. I doubt Fordham would have left the PL, certainly not at the time they did, if they were allowed to have hoops scholarships. There was less immediate outcry among alums when they were a dominant team in the league than there was a few years later when they found they couldn't compete without scholarships.

2. Interesting names - William and Mary and Davidson. Both were among the teams originaly supposed to be founding members of the Patriot League (then called the Colonial League). Davidson was a brief member when it was a football only league before expanding to the other sports. Dropped out because they were non-competitive in football and maybe because of the distance. William and Mary bailed out early in the process over the scholarship issue.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-08-06 02:23 PM - Post#16579    
    In response to jck45

Quote:

Quote:

I think Davidson would be the best fit if that happened,

I'm sure Willard would just love that....

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main....p;2s=NC&2z=

JCK, that is fantastic! For those who don't frequent the HC board, Willard is a fierce critic of the travel imposed on HC by the return to Wed/Sat game days in the PL. JCK, however has simplified RW's task however.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.495 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:28 PM