Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#25981)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-05-22 01:05 AM - Post#335254    

I look forward to regular season tilts against Harvard like I look forward to root canals. Something absolutely ridiculous almost always happens, whether it's Kale Catchings scoring 16 in his first real career game (still his career high, of course), or whether it's getting stuck in Boston rush hour traffic and getting half the regular warm-up time, or whether it's Azar Swain being made to stand at the free throw line for four minutes of real time before being allowed to shoot the game-tying free throw while some real scholars in stripes tried to figure out whether there should be 1.4 seconds left or 1.3.

In any case, I'm sticking to my guns in saying that Yale is going to have its hands full with Harvard. Harvard plays a very physical, irritating style of defense (believe me, I mean this as a compliment) that has often given Yale fits, and Harvard biggest weakness on offense (turnovers) is one that Yale's style of defense isn't really geared to exploit.

On the plus side, Harvard's guards do not seem to be particularly gifted at defense, so I'm hopeful for big games from Gabbidon and Swain. Furthermore, not a one of the players on the team has ever participated in a win over Harvard in the regular season, and you can bet that they're all aware of that fact. Yale is also finally allowing undergrads to attend sporting events starting tomorrow, so I'd hope that there will be a robust fan presence in the building.

These next two games against Harvard could make or break the Crimson's season: getting swept would all but eliminate them, sweeping would put them in excellent position to overtake someone for the 4 seed. For that matter, if Yale is swept, they're suddenly in a perilous position with three losses and no tiebreaker against Harvard. Two very important games in a row for both teams.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
02-05-22 10:40 AM - Post#335265    
    In response to iogyhufi

I agree. Harvard has yales number. Except when it counts the most!

james 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:44 AM - Post#335266    
    In response to james

Harvard is more talented than Yale. But it depends on who plays for them. If they get Ledlum back w Forbes this is a tough matchup for yale per usual.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-05-22 08:48 PM - Post#335411    
    In response to james

Wow, now that was a defensive half of basketball. Despite being unable to get anything going at all offensively in the early going, the Bulldogs buckled down and defended phenomenally. EJ Jarvis had some good defensive plays, and it was nice to see Poulakidas come in to hit the three to end the half. Another half of basketball like that and Yale might even manage to win this one.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
02-05-22 09:55 PM - Post#335507    
    In response to iogyhufi

Swain is the man. Puts on a dribbling clinic and then gets the big shot to roll in. Meanwhile, total dive on the ensuing Harvard 3.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:14 PM - Post#335528    
    In response to dperry

Yale gets the crimson monkey off their backs. For this, there will be no complaints. We had some extreme Saturday night Ivy League officiating (Jones getting T'd up by the far official springs immediately to mind, as did the usual Harvard-doesn't-get-calle d-for-fouls thing, though the latter was at least largely addressed towards the end), and Yale's offense was hardly a thing of beauty, but in the end, they did just enough to get it done against a Harvard team that really needed that game.

Really excellent game from Jarvis, he had several excellent plays on the defensive end and several excellent rebounds. Kelly too made some big plays in opportune moments. Harvard hit some tough contested shots late to make it a game, and Yale looked a little too passive very late, but all's well that ends well. The turnovers absolutely must be cleaned up before Wednesday, however.

Also, to the Penn fans complaining about Yale's poor broadcast crew, don't point out the speck in the eye of another when there's a plank in your own.

james 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:19 PM - Post#335530    
    In response to iogyhufi

Kelly’s blocks were huge! for once yale neutralized their bigs

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-22 10:20 PM - Post#335532    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:

Also, to the Penn fans complaining about Yale's poor broadcast crew, don't point out the speck in the eye of another when there's a plank in your own.

This might be the funniest thing I’ve read in years on this board. Vince might be a terrible homer but at least he understands what’s going on in a game and what’s happening in the rest of the league.

For example, these two failed to notice how many ridiculous mistakes Swain made in the final minute to put this game in jeopardy, They sang his praises while he was committing multiple dumb turnovers.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:22 PM - Post#335534    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Oh of course, Swain did nothing worthy of praise down the stretch, you're totally right.

(I'll admit that I laughed out loud at "Swain is the most clutch player in recent Ivy history." Uh, I love Azar, but I'm gonna give this one to the guy who hit a double-clutch half-court shot to extend a game against Columbia.)

james 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:25 PM - Post#335535    
    In response to iogyhufi

it takes an epic tool to critique your best player in the last minute after his step back game won it for you.

esp when he went to a safety school and doesn’t understand the elite rivalry

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-05-22 10:31 PM - Post#335537    
    In response to iogyhufi

You’re right, it was completely appropriate to ignore the terrible turnovers because he made those two tough shots.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-05-22 10:34 PM - Post#335538    
    In response to james

• james Said:
it takes an epic tool to critique your best player in the last minute after his step back game won it for you.

esp when he went to a safety school and doesn’t understand the elite rivalry

You can tell someone is super basketball savvy when they roll out the safety school thing in lieu of an actual point.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-05-22 10:38 PM - Post#335541    

Ah true, I remember the nuanced criticism of AJ Brodeur when he allowed himself to be blocked from behind by a 6' bespectacled point guard in a critical juncture that put a late-game lead in jeopardy.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-05-22 10:44 PM - Post#335543    
    In response to iogyhufi

“Alexa, what’s a non-sequitur?”

“A non-sequitur is this iggyhufi reply.”

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-05-22 10:45 PM - Post#335544    

The bottom line is almost no Ivy basketball players would get into any Ivy school at all if they were simply part of the general applicant pool.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
02-05-22 11:02 PM - Post#335547    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
The bottom line is almost no Ivy basketball players would get into any Ivy school at all if they were simply part of the general applicant pool.

The deeply ironic part of this is that the situation not only in basketball but across the board in Ivy recruited athlete admissions remains this way some 40 years after HYP insisted on introducing the AI. Because they were so annoyed at Penn giving educational opportunities to disadvantaged inner city African-American students via the West Philly pipeline from Overbrook & West Philly Highs..

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.362 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:03 PM