Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: On the bright side...        (Topic#26022)
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-12-22 06:17 PM - Post#336208    

Ok, Princeton is absolutely trashing us.

But my fifth graders gutted out another win! I had expected this to be an easy game. Our opponents had lost to teams that we had beaten.

They showed up with three players noticeably taller than others. I didn't remember seeing them at the earlier games. The other coach was apologetic and above board, telling me that he only had four fifth graders available and he had asked some sixth graders to play against us. I'm actually going to be in the same boat next weekend (although I'm going to recruit other fifth graders as replacements).

ANYWAY, they jumped to an early lead, but we came back and hung tough against those sixth graders! My own kid had her best game of the season, getting a game high eight points, including the clincher with a minute thirty to go to give us a 16-14 win. It should serve us well in the playoffs!!

Now let's hope that the Dartmouth men can at least make it look semi-respectable for the Sunday papers....

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
02-12-22 09:14 PM - Post#336246    
    In response to Go Green

Congratulations to your fifth graders for getting over that initial sizing-up kids always do of their opponents and not just saying, "THEY'RE SO TALL" and giving up. That's big. I will guess that your team shot better from the field than the Big Green did in the first half: 17%.

Worth noting that Dartmouth had not lost that badly to an Ivy opponent in 55 years, which seems like a long time, until you remember Dartmouth hasn't been Ivy League champions in 62 years. Le sigh.

45 points is 4 points more than all of their other Ivy losses this season combined.

The question is how the team rebounds. Any team can have an embarrassing game like this one. But now that they're truly spoilers--three of their remaining five games are against teams currently in the top 4--will they keep competing? That will say a lot about their future.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-13-22 05:14 PM - Post#336385    
    In response to flinder

Basically, Princeton did to us in basketball what we did to them in football last Fall.

Oh well...

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
02-13-22 05:34 PM - Post#336392    
    In response to Go Green

If you want to go there, I'm calling a timeout until Ledlum is ready to return.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Re: On the bright side...
02-17-22 06:52 AM - Post#336631    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

I'm actually going to be in the same boat next weekend (although I'm going to recruit other fifth graders as replacements).

I had practice yesterday afternoon. I invited my replacements players (and yes-they are fifth graders) for Saturday's game to the practice.

Good news--they can play! I should be just fine for Saturday!

Of course, we will see whether or not the other team brings in replacements as well. I tell you--these holiday weekends can really lead to a lot of shenanigans in youth sports...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 AM