Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Penn II        (Topic#26025)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-13-22 01:30 AM - Post#336270    

Well, the last game against the Quakers followed recent tradition where Yale is hot garbage at the drafty old barn in University City. It should therefore stand to reason that this game will follow the recent home tradition where Yale plays like hot garbage for 36 minutes, then Penn chokes in the most improbable of ways (cf. 2018, where Donahue bizarrely outsmarts himself by putting in Human Victory Cigar Sam Jones in to shoot free throws, which goes poorly and costs Penn the outright title; 2020, when Penn loses despite 27% season shooter Devon Goodman going 6-7 from 3 due to blowing a ten point lead in 100 seconds of game time, an event later dubbed "the Fail at Yale" by the Daily Pennsylvanian).

I will be interested in seeing how the Bulldogs' recent big man Renaissance affects the game. Penn's bigs aren't exactly fantastic, and with Knowling putting his name in contention for ROY and Jarvis proving his mettle as a solid big on both ends, Yale has the potential to take advantage at the rim. It will also be interesting to see too how both teams' stars play in this game. How will Yale defend this time? Will the offense be up and running sufficiently well, or are they going to end up in another rock fight?

These are two big games for the Bulldogs: a sweep of the weekend all but seals an outright championship and the one seed. Hopefully the student body will come out in force to support the team.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Penn II
02-13-22 09:46 AM - Post#336282    
    In response to iogyhufi

..It's all about the Penn game. If Penn wins, it gets the tiebreaker. If Penn loses, Yale can still lose to Princeton and win the title.

But I'm looking forward to the game, despite the fact that we both know that it's 99% that both teams are in the tournament.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
02-13-22 12:40 PM - Post#336299    
    In response to iogyhufi

I’m a Penn grad, but I just want to say how much I respect the trash talk.
Frankly, there’s not enough of it on this board.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-13-22 12:51 PM - Post#336303    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
I’m a Penn grad, but I just want to say how much I respect the trash talk.
Frankly, there’s not enough of it on this board.

It tells you all you need to know that there was far more discussion of the H-Y game on the Penn board than on this one.

[Does this count as trash talking? ]

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
02-13-22 01:09 PM - Post#336311    
    In response to penn nation

its a simple game plan.

trap dingle when he gets off the bus. and if they are banging in 3s off the reversal... live with it

i didnt know thats the son of dana dingle. no wonder. that u mass team was awesome. everyone remembers camby but Lou Roe was a beast on the glass and dingle was a baller too

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-13-22 01:21 PM - Post#336313    
    In response to james

• james Said:
its a simple game plan.

trap dingle when he gets off the bus. and if they are banging in 3s off the reversal... live with it

i didnt know thats the son of dana dingle. no wonder. that u mass team was awesome. everyone remembers camby but Lou Roe was a beast on the glass and dingle was a baller too

Penn took them down to the wire in '93 in the NCAA first round, but got Saturday Night Massacred by them in Amherst on national TV in '95.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
02-13-22 01:39 PM - Post#336317    
    In response to james

Long time Penn fans remember Dana Dingle well as he and Lou Roe were the backbone of the #3 seed UMass team that the #14 Quakers faced in the NCAA Tournament in Syracuse in 1993. Despite the first of three March Madness shooting disasters by Matt Maloney (4/16), the young Penn team held its head high in a 4 point loss knowing it had a bright future ahead. They would string together two more undefeated Ivy seasons, eventually setting a record 48 game conference winning streak. Maybe Dana’s memory of that team, with current HC Steve Donahue as Fran Dunphy’s assistant, along with some remarkable struggles against Temple in the Palestra (anyone remember John Chaney threatening to kill Calipari?), encouraged him to steer Jordan towards the Cathedral.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-13-22 02:23 PM - Post#336324    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:
Well, the last game against the Quakers followed recent tradition where Yale is hot garbage at the drafty old barn in University City.

Ha, so funny. I’d never take a cheap shot at Payne Whitney, as it’s the only other gym in the Ivies with any atmosphere whatsoever. I have taken shots at your coach’s tactics, especially in the early years of his tenure, but that’s a story for a different time. Just ask Jeff Schiffner.

But still, you’re not the first to make the mistake of referring to a magnificent monument filled with history and tradition as a barn. E.M. Forster, in his eminent, but at times cringeworthy novel, A Room with a View , (perhaps the best known of the genre about tightly wound 19th century Brits journeying to Tuscany and immediately unraveling), in reference to the Basilica of Santa Croce, which contains the tombs of Michelangelo, Macchiavelli, and Galileo, as well as important frescoes by Giotto and sculptures by Donatello, says,”Santa Croce, though like a barn, has harvested many beautiful things inside its walls.” Although the enormously important Franciscan church is not a cathedral, the Palestra is.

The Palestra: Cathedral of Basketball
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TV4QT6/ref=cm_ sw_r_c...

palestra38 
Professor

02-13-22 02:43 PM - Post#336330    
    In response to LyleGold

What's more, they replace all the windows 3 years ago (they no longer open) and it's not drafty at all

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-13-22 02:52 PM - Post#336332    
    In response to palestra38

It was really never drafty. It used to get so suffocatingly hot, even on the coldest winter nights, that they’d open the doors along the north side at halftime to let the air in. Those of us who have sat in those stands for decades are familiar with the refreshing rush of cold air at intermission, which also helps cleanse the Cathedral of the stench of “Yale’s hot garbage”, iogy’s only salient observation.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-13-22 03:30 PM - Post#336349    
    In response to LyleGold

If I were going to make a list of the top five things in the whole world that I don't care about, what Yale fans think of the Palestra would probably be on it.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Penn II
02-13-22 03:42 PM - Post#336352    
    In response to Silver Maple

Yeah, well, those guys played the Safety School card recently, so their futile attempts to find a way to get under our skin need to be called out. Jealousy is generally a bad look.

palestra38 
Professor

02-13-22 03:46 PM - Post#336353    
    In response to LyleGold

Let's not generalize and cause a flame war. One guy used the safety school line, and he isn't on this thread.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Penn II
02-13-22 03:47 PM - Post#336354    
    In response to palestra38

You got something better to do?

I mildly toned it down, but that’s about it.

james 
Masters Student

02-13-22 03:53 PM - Post#336357    
    In response to LyleGold

i have a piece of wood from the palestra as a bottle opener on my bar.

I scored double digits there as a freshman. Happy memory

Penn kicked our butt though

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-13-22 04:04 PM - Post#336360    
    In response to LyleGold

Merciful heavens, who knew that the Palestra was such serious business? I certainly am not jealous of the Palestra, if for no other reason than that PWG is an ideal type of gym for Ivy League teams nowadays: it's small enough that you could feasibly sell it out in non-tourney situations, and it's small in volume so that it doesn't need to be full to get loud (and gets really loud when it is full). For whatever reason, students just don't attend games in the same numbers that they evidently used to do. I can't comment on Penn's attendance, nor do I care to, but given the usual attendance at Yale games, I wouldn't want Yale to play home games in an 8700 seat gym. It'd feel cavernous and empty all the time.

Anyway, back to the game at hand: I think a key matchup will be Martz against Knowling (presuming Martz has passed protocols by Friday). They're both undersized 4-men who can handle the ball well, but with generally opposite scoring profiles. If either one proves incapable of guarding the other, that will place a lot of strain on the opposing defense.

james 
Masters Student

02-13-22 04:05 PM - Post#336361    
    In response to james

it’s all in good fun. The palestra is great. my worst memory there is not losing by 30 to Maloney allen bowman Krug etc.

It is watching harvard beat yale in the 2015 playoff live.

It’s a great venue and we hadn’t won anything in modern times which is why I trudged north to see live

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-13-22 04:19 PM - Post#336363    
    In response to james

Ten people in the Palestra sound like 100. The hearing-aid makers should subsidize the place for increasing demand.

james 
Masters Student

02-13-22 04:19 PM - Post#336364    
    In response to james

really surprised knowling has proved to be so unguardable when he posts in the league so far. He has great length and touch but isn’t big or bulky. To stop him you can’t let him back you down to get to his left hand

Given he starts on the roll or slip that’s actually a defensive key and my guess is a focal point for anyone left.

he played well against st Mary’s I think but wasn’t yet getting the pt out of conference. Otherwise that would be the instructional video on how to stop him. Bc size and strength shld be able to negate his positioning

when he hopefully gets confidence in his face up game then the options will be hopefully more limited in how to defend him

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-13-22 04:29 PM - Post#336369    
    In response to james

He reminds me a bit of Tamenang Choh (I stress a bit, please do not read this as me saying that Knowling is currently as good as Choh) in terms of style. He's an undersized post-up big with decent handles and a nose for the ball. I 100% agree that if he adds a face-up game he'll be a really tough player to guard going forward.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.163 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:39 PM