Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: 2022 Transfer Portal        (Topic#26120)
MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
06-22-22 02:37 PM - Post#342486    
    In response to MrPhillie

From an interview with Michah Shrewsberry regarding Andrew Funk this season:

“I think Andrew Funk is a very underrated passer. He can play in pick-and-rolls, he can make decisions. Going back to my Purdue days, he’s got a feel of a Sasha Stefanovic to him, the passer that Sasha was, and how I tried to use Sasha in ATO situations. Andrew has that same feel. It’s really underrated. It’s not something people see a whole lot. They see him as a shooter. And either one of them, they don’t have to shoulder the load for the whole team.They don’t have to take as many. Like Andrew had to take tough shots. That’s what his team needed him to do. I think he gets easier shots playing with a Jalen Pickett, playing with a Cam Wynter, playing with a Seth Lundy. He’s not getting the No. 1 guy defensively every single game. That’s where things will open up and change with those guys.”

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal
06-30-22 12:02 PM - Post#342859    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • JDBison2010 Said:
  • Scotty-14 Said:
Jack Forest from St Joe's just committed to Bucknell from the Transfer Portal. 2 Years to play, though maybe only one since he will graduate next year.

Good news. Hopefully we can keep him for two but you never know with this administration. Love bringing in a veteran who has played in two stronger conferences. Should do well if he can stay healthy

If I recall correctly, when he was coming out of high school, we were on his short list. Believe he committed to Columbia before we had a chance to get him on campus for an official. Nice slow play by Davis

That's correct. Bucknell was supposed to be his next visit but he never made it to Lewisburg. His final four were Boston U, Bucknell, Columbia, and Brown. Also had offers from Drexel, Penn, Lehigh, Cornell, and NJIT.

He had a solid first year at Columbia, playing about 25 mpg and averaging about 9 ppg and 3.3 rpg. Only hit 30% of his twos and 35% on threes. When the season ended, he said:

""As the season progressed, I realized that I really wanted to play professional basketball," he explained. "After the season, I evaluated how it went and realized that Columbia probably wasn't the best place for me. So, looking at St. Joe's when I reopened my recruiting, Coach Lange came on really strong and talked about player development. Didn't just talk about it, but had evidence of it. He showed me how they are going to develop me over the next few years to help me reach my dreams."

Billy Lange is not a particularly good coach, but he is often a good salesman.

Forrest ended up not having to sit out a transfer season due to covid changes, and he had a pretty good sophomore year at Hawk Hill despite missing time due to injury. He started seven of 14 games when he was healthy, averaging 10.4 ppg and 3.3 rpg over 25 mpg. Hit 55% on twos and 34% on threes.

I'm not sure what happened his third year, but there was massive regression and reduced playing time. Played only 14 mpg, averaging 3.6 ppg and 1.7 rpg. Hit only 25% of his threes. Over three years, he only hit 32.4% from beyond the arc, which is poor for someone who had the reputation of being a good long-rang shooter. Although he is the same size as Andrew Funk, plays the same position, and is from the Philly suburbs, I think it is safe to say that he will not replace Funk.

One other issue is that because this is his second transfer, he may be required to sit out the season. To be able to play, he will need an NCAA waiver. I don't know if that's something the staff could have checked before the transfer became official, although I tend to doubt it.

I think he should be a useful addition, although hardly a difference-maker. In any event, it's a much better use of a late spring scholarship than what was done the previous two years - where the scholarship basically was just thrown away.

Forrest was just granted a waiver by the NCAA to have immediate eligibility. Although not unexpected, given the NCAA's very relaxed attitued on this since 2019, it would have been disastrous to give a scholarship to a player of his experience and then have him be required to sit a year.

The plan is for him to play two years for the Bison, presumably because some of his St. Joes credits did not transfer.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.21 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:06 PM