Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: NIT        (Topic#26158)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-15-22 08:50 PM - Post#339331    
    In response to SRP

Down ten with 90 seconds left and VCU with the ball. Not looking too good, but high variance outcome is still possible with a shaky ball-handling team like VCU's.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-15-22 08:51 PM - Post#339332    
    In response to SRP

VCU broke that pressure a lot better than Yale.

penn nation 
Professor

03-15-22 08:57 PM - Post#339333    
    In response to penn nation

The Friborg miss on the 1 and 1 basically ended it right there, otherwise that could have been an interesting final 30 seconds.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-15-22 08:57 PM - Post#339334    

Freiberg missing the front end of the one and one is killer.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-15-22 08:57 PM - Post#339335    

Had a chance to make it interesting but Drew missed the front end of the one and one. FT shooting once again is miserable.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-15-22 08:59 PM - Post#339336    
    In response to TigerFan

VCU hitting its highest point total of the season kind of fits the narrative for Princeton this year. Princeton missing a ton of good trey looks does not.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-15-22 09:02 PM - Post#339337    
    In response to SRP

That game was there for the taking but its a lot to ask the guys to come back from a tough weekend in Cambridge and one day rest to play such a physical team. NIT committee did not do the Tigers any favors. Proud of the team but that was disappointing.

penn nation 
Professor

03-15-22 09:10 PM - Post#339338    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
VCU hitting its highest point total of the season kind of fits the narrative for Princeton this year. Princeton missing a ton of good trey looks does not.

They did end up shooting 35% from 3, so not that horrid in the end.

This is the best team Princeton has faced this year. Most other years, I imagine they've probably played at least a couple of other comparable teams (if not better than that) in seasons when they've played in the postseason.

I think that showed in the sheer athleticism of VCU. Some close-in baskets that Princeton normally makes were thwarted, and some passes or drives that Princeton normally makes ended up becoming turnovers. And some of VCU's baskets on those drives were something that frankly Princeton hadn't seen too much of this year.

Princeton competed hard and represented the IL well tonight. Tough to play on short rest after such an emotional contest on Sunday.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
NIT
03-15-22 09:29 PM - Post#339339    

We cannot complain about lack of respect every year if we never win the first game.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: NIT
03-15-22 09:50 PM - Post#339340    
    In response to sparman

Eh, it was a great season for Princeton. After a year off and a lost year of recruiting for all the Ivies because they insisted on not playing, they had the best team in the League.

But no Ivy team this year would have beaten this VCU team, which is just a ridiculously athletic team.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
NIT
03-15-22 10:22 PM - Post#339342    
    In response to palestra38

A tired Princeton team playing a well-rested VCU on their homecourt - automatic loss. Impressed this was even close for 30+ minutes.

Really sad to see a great regular season end so anticlimactically. It could have been truly special postseason, but we didn't take care of business.

On Sunday, that embarrassing final possession was a result of Jaelin and Tosan being unable to decide who gets the final shot. Next year, it's Tosan's ball 100%, no doubt about it.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-15-22 10:37 PM - Post#339343    

• palestra38 Said:
But no Ivy team this year would have beaten this VCU team, which is just a ridiculously athletic team.

I’m not so sure P38. Princeton (or Yale, for that matter) on four days rest, as VCU had, might have been different. And even as exhausted physically and emotionally as they must have been, if Princeton makes it’s (lowly) season average of 65% of freebies instead of 36% and hits one more from deep, I think they win that game. Hell, your guys on their best night could have given them a run.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-15-22 10:44 PM - Post#339345    
    In response to TigerFan

Princeton lives and dies by its 3 point shooting. 35% (VCU) and 33.3% (Yale) just not enough.

penn nation 
Professor

03-15-22 10:46 PM - Post#339346    
    In response to TigerFan

Beg to disagree.

This was a step up in class for Princeton. Their schedule did not really prepare them for a team like this.

When Penn and Yale took a step up in class (or more) this year, it did not end well, either.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-15-22 11:59 PM - Post#339347    

I think that Coach Henderson got the most out this team - ultimately not deep or athletic enough to handle these teams - and probably hurt them here and in Ivy Madness. This was a classic Princeton team with an Iron 5 or 6. But it was two great athletes and two great three point shooting role players and Ethan Wright who was somewhere in between plus Allocco to spell the starters.

When you look at the last two teams to make the NCAAs, they had a lot more: Cook, Weisz, Cannady, Stephens, Bell plus Miller (lost Brase and Caruso) - Hummer, Maddox, Davis, Mavraides, plus Saunders, Darrow, Connolly, Bray

If Kellman hadn’t had injury issues and developed into a contributor this year - I think that might have taken them to the next level.

And I think they win Ivy Madness if it is at Jadwin as it would have been if not for the lost season. But I’m not as confident that they would have measured up in the NCAAs as Coach Henderson.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-16-22 09:46 AM - Post#339355    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
We cannot complain about lack of respect every year if we never win the first game.

This.

palestra38 
Professor

03-16-22 09:52 AM - Post#339357    
    In response to Go Green

The decision of the Ivies not to play last year will reverberate for some time. Had this not occurred, both Yale and Harvard would have been far better. Princeton managed it better than anyone and had the best team this year, but the Ivies as a whole would have been stronger (and Princeton unlikely to have been the best team) had none of this occurred.

I don't think we can look at it just in the sense that we never win the first game. First of all, lack of success in the NCAA's goes back to the 1980s, where the Ivies won just 2 games, but Cornell and Harvard's success and then Yale's first round win and the scare they put to Duke shows "it can be done." But we, as a league, are pretty much starting from scratch.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-16-22 10:27 AM - Post#339360    

To be clear, I am not unhappy with PU's season or the coach's performance, which are independent of my well-established disdain for the outcome distortion caused by the tournament. I think as others have said we did much better than expected. And because coaching matters, I do not discount their prospects for next year. Good programs stay relevant.

But I feel there is a presumption outside the IL that we (the IL) aren't ready to play with the big and almost-big boys (and they don't want to share the pie anyway), so until we regularly show something in their events they need not be forced to recognize us closer to the manner we think is appropriate. We can rationalize close losses but they are soon forgotten by the powers that be.

penn nation 
Professor

03-16-22 11:00 AM - Post#339362    
    In response to sparman

Like you said, the big boys don't want leagues like the IL to do well.

They stack the deck against us. Try getting a game to play against them in your home arena. They even eliminated the portion of the erstwhile RPI which rewarded teams that played on the road against good teams.

College football is much the same. Nowadays you'll never see a team like Alabama have to play a single road game (i.e., where their opponent is playing at home) the entire season--and yet still at the end of the day be crowned a national champion, or be in the running for one. Teams from lesser leagues, even if undefeated, nonetheless get regularly disparaged.

• sparman Said:

But I feel there is a presumption outside the IL that we (the IL) aren't ready to play with the big and almost-big boys (and they don't want to share the pie anyway), so until we regularly show something in their events they need not be forced to recognize us closer to the manner we think is appropriate. We can rationalize close losses but they are soon forgotten by the powers that be.

Edited by penn nation on 03-16-22 11:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
03-16-22 12:59 PM - Post#339375    
    In response to umbrellaman

I don't know if I agree about Coach Mitch. The crappy ft shooting being one thing and Jaelin's slow starts being another? Smells of motivation? Maybe call a time out and say damn it Tosan make your #%$@ free throws?
I do have to say that Ethan Wright rocked my world especially with his rebounding? I would not be surprised to see him in the NBA one day? Like a Caruso or Reeves?

Page 5 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:17 AM