Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 6 « First<3456
Username Post: WBB - NCAA        (Topic#26159)
penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-21-22 10:20 PM - Post#339748    
    In response to TigerFan

Listening to IU press conference. Coach Moren really complimenting Princeton.

"I told my team....If I told you that they had 20 more shots than we did and we still won, would you believe it?"

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
03-21-22 10:30 PM - Post#339750    
    In response to penn nation

They played a top 10 team tough on their home court on a night when our star did not shoot well. It hurts, but we should be very proud.
I am not sure what all the variables were that led to the choices on
the last two possessions, but I know we are fortunate to have
Berube making those decisions.
Can't wait to see what next year brings. Thanks for this season,
Ladies.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
03-21-22 10:30 PM - Post#339751    

I'm just really impressed with that performance. I can't get over what a courageous run the Tigers made to come all the way back from 14 down to take the lead. And to do that on Indiana's home court! (Its crazy that the top seeds still host the first two rounds of this tournament. That might have made sense when the women's game didn't draw much of a crowd but it seems completely inappropriate now.)

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
03-21-22 10:34 PM - Post#339752    
    In response to TigerFan

The big crowds are on home courts

PeteD 
Masters Student
PeteD
Loc: California
Reg: 03-13-07
03-21-22 10:41 PM - Post#339755    
    In response to TigerFan

• TigerFan Said:
Holy smokes! Tigers up 50-49 with 5 minutes to play. Amazing!

That score brought back memories of an NCAA game 33 years ago! It felt like they had Indiana on the ropes at that point.

I liked the idea of the 2 for 1 and the quick 3-pt shot, but hated the last possession… Chen didn’t have much success off the dribble all night long (credit Indiana’s D) and with the season on the line, hoped for something in Berube’s bag of tricks.

Congrats on a great season for the Tigers… they will likely be back next year.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-21-22 10:44 PM - Post#339756    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Yes, by definition the big crowds are on home courts because they are playing these games on home courts. But I think many of these teams' fans would travel to see them play. They should move to neutral courts.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

03-21-22 10:59 PM - Post#339757    
    In response to TigerFan

What seems out of your reach is the reason the crowds are big.

penn nation 
Professor

03-21-22 11:03 PM - Post#339758    

Berube in her press conference gave a shout out for wanting Princeton to be able to host at Jadwin next year.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-21-22 11:03 PM - Post#339759    
    In response to TigerFan

Tough one to lose. But, I was ready to throw in the towel when we were 14 down early in the 2nd half. I don’t know how we closed the gap when it seemed that every shot was clanking harmlessly off the rim. I couldn’t believe it when we gained the lead! I feel bad for Abby who looked frustrated toward the end when nothing was falling for her. Also, Kaitlyn, although she will be back and has even better days ahead.
Thanks for a great trip, Coach and Team! See you next season.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

03-21-22 11:07 PM - Post#339760    

I am with Carla on that one. Home court is a huge factor in this tournament. Tigers will get a better seed next year.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
03-21-22 11:22 PM - Post#339762    

Except that, if you listened to her entire press conference, it was clear she resoundingly prefers these games to be played on a neutral court, "just like the men," she said. The line about Jadwin was sort of a throwaway line, because I don't think she realistically believes Princeton would be seeded a #4 or better next year.

penn nation 
Professor

03-21-22 11:25 PM - Post#339764    
    In response to Albert08

• Albert08 Said:
Except that, if you listened to her entire press conference, it was clear she resoundingly prefers these games to be played on a neutral court, "just like the men," she said. The line about Jadwin was sort of a throwaway line, because I don't think she realistically believes Princeton would be seeded a #4 or better next year.

They're not exactly on neutral courts--most of the time, the top teams end up playing relatively close to home.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-21-22 11:25 PM - Post#339765    
    In response to whitakk

• whitakk Said:
  • umbrellaman Said:
What do you think of the decision to hold for the last shot down 2?

Didn’t really understand it. Might make sense if you have a great 3-point shooting team to go for the win and/or don’t trust your defense to get a stop, but neither applies here. (Also didn’t love the call on the possession before, but at least that got a 2-for-1 and gave your best player a chance to hit a dagger.)

Saw it again and it's very much going for the three -- Mitchell doesn't roll but comes right off the screen to set a pindown for Abby -- but the timing and geography of the play looks off, and even in the best case it's a really tough pass to ask Chen to make.

So I like the idea of going for the win but I don't think the play as drawn up had much chance of working.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-22-22 06:27 AM - Post#339768    
    In response to whitakk

Great performance by the Tigers last night, who had to fight through a lot of adversity including losing their two best scorers early to foul trouble. They never backed down playing a top ten team on their packed home court. And the Tigers gave them everything they could handle despite Chen and Meyers being neutralized. Indiana is an outstanding team and matched Princeton’s defensive intensity, yet Stone and Cunningham were able to step up and Mitchell was her usual indomitable presence on the boards. And not a bad preview for next year, by the way!

Final sequence was hard to watch. I like the 2-for-1 giving Meyers the chance to insert a dagger, she has made contested shots all year and there is not another player I would want with the ball in her hands. But the last possession was poorly executed with Indiana taking away all of the angles that the Tiger coaches had drawn up and Plan B was also a dud. Rats, would have loved to see them pull it out.

But huge props and congrats to Coach Berube and this valiant Tiger team, thank you for a memorable season!

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-22-22 08:19 AM - Post#339769    
    In response to Tiger69

I think the TV commentator, whose name I cannot recall, had it right when she said Meyers was frustrated having to sit earlier and then pressed to make up when she finally got in the game. Also Indiana is a very good defensive team, I doubt Tigers ever had nearly as many blocked shots by other teams during the season. PU might be at the same level, but there is a clear athletic difference between most other ivy teams and the Big 10 and it takes a while to adjust.I

Sorry to see Meyers cycle off but we said the same when Alarie graduated, plus Mitchell and Chen are still ascending and the incoming recruits look very exciting. I don't see coach Griffith becoming less frustrated next year.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
03-22-22 12:49 PM - Post#339782    
    In response to sparman

Terrific game. Tigers should be very proud of themselves. Playing a top ten team on their court with Abby struggling and shooting percentages heavily skewed in Indiana's favor, it was a minor miracle that the game came down to the last few seconds. The key to the comeback was once again defense. Indiana only scored six points in the third quarter and seventeen in the entire half. I wonder if those were season lows for them?

On a really positive note, I think this game exposed a silver lining for the future. With Abby in foul trouble early and a bit off her game, credit to Indiana, they obviously saw what she did to Kentucky, the Tigers still made a game of it and showed they are more than just Abby Meyers. She'll be a huge loss for sure but there are more and more signs that they'll be able find a way to survive that loss. Just like they did this year without Littlefield and Alarie.

One other thing that needs to be mentioned is how much Grace Stone has picked up her offensive game the last few weeks of the season.

The future of Princeton women's basketball is blindingly bright to say the least.

Finally, having the top four seeds being able to host the first round in the NCAAs is a huge advantage for them. In my opinion, proves the absurdity of the ILT, making the top seed have to play on the four seeds home court.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
03-22-22 01:38 PM - Post#339785    

"Letting them play" would have been a good thing in the first 5 minutes of the game. Lot of cheap fouls called.

penn nation 
Professor

WBB - NCAA
03-22-22 01:55 PM - Post#339786    
    In response to Tiger84

Lots of physical contact going to the hoop with no fouls called as the game went on, however.

That got Princeton back into the game.

Edited by penn nation on 03-22-22 01:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 6 of 6 « First<3456
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.658 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:25 PM