Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Let's hear an in person game report for once, huh?        (Topic#2624)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-06 03:59 AM - Post#16739    

C'mon fellas. How'd we beat Princeton?

I'd written a post earlier today that got inadvertantly deleted (yeah right, Bruno) that said Brown would be very tough for both P's this weekend. Very glad to see Brown start their final weekend with a win.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Let's hear an in person game report for once, huh?
03-04-06 05:55 PM - Post#16740    
    In response to Bruno

Great man-to-man defense, Brown shut and locked the backdoor, limited Greeman's effectiveness (3 for 5) from the field (1 for 3 from the 3) in 40 minutes of play. Rebounding was even (24-23) but Brown won the turnover battle (16-21). Brown was 19-37 from the floor, 19-28 from the line, P was 14-35 and 15-17. Jeppeson and Becker were the difference makers. MacDonald and Huffman also played well, as Jake pointed out Brown's bench outscored P's 14-0.

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
03-05-06 02:16 AM - Post#16741    
    In response to Old Bear

I know this is a day late but I just wanted to add to Old Bear's synopsis. The Bears did a great job on defense against Princeton. They were playing zone until P'ton threw their first pass which was an interesting strategy. I'm not sure if it messed up the Tigers or not but they weren't really clicking on offense. In general Brown also did a great job clogging up the middle so the backdoor looks weren't open very much.

On the whole it wasn't the prettiest of games and at times it was just plain ugly by both teams. After seeing Princeton for the first time I have no idea how they won 8 Ivy games this year. They have no big guy and just aren't that talented.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
Reg: 11-21-04
03-05-06 03:49 PM - Post#16742    
    In response to BrownAlum

Alum, you commented here on Princeton and elsewhere on Penn, based on one sighting of each. Hardly a representative sample, and certainly not a basis for concluding anything.

Agree that Princeton doesn't have the raw talent that they've had in the past, but Scott has shown that he knows how to coach defense -- they play very, very solid team D, and use that as a tool to keep themselves in games until they can get some layups or make some threes. In the League, it works more often than not, because most Ivy teams aren't capable of scoring enough points against them to win. Friday night, it didn't work.

Penn, meanwhile, has suffered some significant injuries (Danley, Ebede, McMahon, Osmundson) and Grandieri was severly under the weather on Saturday night. Moreover, they were coming off a clinching win (and a tough one at that) the night before at Yale. A let-down would have been expected and entirely understandable. It happened. But they still found a way to win. All things considered, that describes to me a good (and impressive) team. Are they likely to win or even compete in the tournament -- probably not, in part due to the injuries. But that doesn't dim their accomplishments in my view.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.01 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:33 PM