Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Cameron Lewis Chooses Penn        (Topic#265)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
12-18-04 01:00 AM - Post#1312    

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=332120&nid=1283294&fhn=1

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Cameron Lewis Chooses Penn
12-18-04 02:30 AM - Post#1313    
    In response to AsiaSunset

This is shaping up to be a pretty nice class. Good job Dunph. Recruiting's weird. All the madness with LaSalle and yet he's got his whole class assembled (well, 5 guys anyway)pre-Xmas. Last year, he isn't going anywhere, and it takes a while to get two commits.

Anonymous 

12-18-04 07:01 AM - Post#1314    
    In response to Jeff2sf

That is very strange. I wonder if it has to do with academics, now that Penn is alone at number 4. Makes us stand out a little more maybe. Who knows what Dunphy did differently, maybe the attention he got nationally with the La Salle job helped raise his profile and status among recruits, thus making them want to play for him more. Whatever happened, im very happy we got Lewis, and hopefully he pans out. The best would be if he grew another inch or two and fills out his frame in the next couple of years and become a dominant force. I'm excited to see how this young team shapes up in the next 2 or 3 years.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-18-04 11:26 AM - Post#1315    
    In response to

Not unusual and reflects the acceleration of the commitment time table. We have 5 women bb players who were admitted as well. There are a ton of committed kids in the league already this year.

This is a very good year for the league in terms of mens bb recruiting. We're not the only ones who did well. What is exciting about this class is we got 5 good kids who actually look like a team. I haven't seen these kids but others have and this is what I was told. As a starter - all are supposed to be good students and hard nosed kids.

Lewis is a 4/5 who is long, has the ability to defend the post and is a big time rebounder. With a little left handed/right handed jump hook he can be a star in time. The last thing he needs is a 15 foot jumper coming out of the blocks. An athlete like Koko with a better body but not the range. Unlike Koko he appears to have an ability to get stronger a lot quicker and has broad shoulders that most good post players have (which neither Koko or U had had). Will really be good if he can polish his interior and basline came from 12 feet in. Even if he's not Kevin Garnett, the defense and rebounding and athleticism is critical to team success and he excels here.

Votel is a 4. He is supposed to be tough as nails and can rebound and shoot the ball. Think Paul Romanchuk.

McMahon is a 6'7" small forward. Could even play the 2 if he had to. Think Spencer Gloger in terms of skill set. Looks like his game is meant for our system.

Egee is a 1/2 with a lot of upside. Reminds a lot of people of a young Andy Toole. He needs to play a lot of bb in the next 9 months.

Aron Cohen is solid 6-2 Ivy pg who has many of the qualities of a Klatsky but he's bigger. Heady, aggressive defender who'll bury the three.

You never know which kids will emerge but this is a particularly well rounded group. Add Grandieri to the mix (4 years left because of the ACL) and Penn has some good young players to support the current crew in the years to come. The staff did a great job. I love watching this year's group so far and these hs seniors promise good things over the next few years.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-18-04 11:59 AM - Post#1316    

As an Exeter grad, Lewis was the guy I really wanted. It is nice to see that the old school is prepping hoops stars for the Ivy (outside of Dartmouth) again, as it did back in the day. I too, have heard nothing but good things about Lewis as a student and a player. Who knows, maybe that 15-footer will come with time. If it does, watch out.

Anonymous 

12-18-04 01:26 PM - Post#1317    

From what I've read, its hard not to like this group (and think Dunphy & Co. have done an excellent job). It seems like we're really going to have some front line strength the next couple of years(Pet/Danley/Votel/Lewis). I guess the big question is whether or not there's a quality PG lurking in this group or on the bench.

FWIW, a friend who's a big UCLA fan says that if McM had been a little bigger or a little quicker he would have been a big time prospect. If one of these guys turns out to have been a sleeper we may look back and see this as a great class.

Anonymous 

12-18-04 01:57 PM - Post#1318    
    In response to

Chuck,

Not to denigrate the quality of the recruiting class, which appears to be excellent, but your quote "if McM had been a little bigger or a little quicker he would have been a big time prospect" confuses me. Isn't that pretty much true of most of the highly-sought after recruits in the league?

Anonymous 

12-18-04 02:03 PM - Post#1319    
    In response to

Well, one supposes that's true...though, I think the guy I know at UCLA was saying that this kid was very close to being a big time player. He was responding to an email from me...so, maybe he was just being encouraging. Take it for what it's worth...

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-18-04 02:35 PM - Post#1320    

FANTASTIC! This is what I was hoping to see... looks like this recruiting class is shaping up to be quite nice. We have gotten several good classes in a row, so congrats to Dunphy and his staff for their efforts. My only worry is where to find playing time for all these guys. If we only play 8 people for any serious minutes, there are going to be some unhappy players (and players with skills too). A good problem to have, I know, but I hope Fran can grow accustomed to playing more guys. Honestly, depth has often been a big factor in keeping our better teams from getting to the next level, so hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

-Mike

Anonymous 

12-18-04 02:42 PM - Post#1321    
    In response to

To second Chuck, there were a number of UCLA people who thought McMahon, present abilities and all, would be playing in Westwood next season - until Howland had a late flurry of high profile signings, all of whom were more highly regarded than McMahon. Still, the kid can play and loves to play. This is shaping up as a very, very impressive Ivy class.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-18-04 02:52 PM - Post#1322    
    In response to

My understanding is that that flurry was subsequent to McMahon's decision to turn away a UCLA opportunity. Realistically I think Howland saw him as a team resource who would be there for 4 or 5 years and add stability. No doubt it would have been a difficult spot for him in terms of getting on the court.

Interesting that some of these guys who've gone to big time programs have found their way onto the court. The Haas kid at Stanford looked like a last minute throw in. I think Scott Greeman was initially offered his spot. He's getting PT now.

McMahon is not a prototypical power conference three, but I heard he's not only bigger than Jeff Schifner, but that he has a little more athleticism and better skill level coming in. If he has Schifner's heart and work ethic, I think he'll be a real impact player at Penn.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
If you want to evaluate ivy league recruiting . .
12-18-04 03:01 PM - Post#1323    

. . .There is a double header at the Hill School in Pottstown starting at 3:00 PM today, Saturday, December 18. Noah Levine (Princeton) and Evan Harris (Harvard) in opening game. Aron Cohen (Penn) in 4:30 game.

Anybody plan to be there?

Rob 
maximus

Dunphy's Appeal
12-19-04 12:16 AM - Post#1324    
    In response to

"Who knows what Dunphy did differently, maybe the attention he got nationally with the La Salle job helped raise his profile and status among recruits, thus making them want to play for him more."

I kind of doubt anyone(other than Penn's recruiting class)outside Philadelphia was paying much attention to the LaSalle-Dunphy soap opera. Anyway, he does very well most years.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-19-04 06:47 PM - Post#1325    

It's always interesting to me when kids commit practically simultaneously, as Lewis and Whitman apparently did. Does that mean, for instance, that Whitman (or Penn, for that matter, in regard to Whitman) was waiting on Lewis' decision? It seemed like this happened in the big man extravaganza between Penn & Princeton a couple of years ago when Elbogen, Danley, Pettinella, and Schaen all committed in a span of about 3 days.

Anonymous 

12-19-04 09:13 PM - Post#1326    
    In response to SomeGuy

When do early decision notifications go out? I would guess that serves to cluster public commitments.

Jon Solomon 
T.A.
Jon Solomon
Loc: Mercer County, NJ
12-19-04 09:57 PM - Post#1327    
    In response to

The ED notifications have been out since at least last Wednesday. - JS
http://www.princetonbasketball.com

Anonymous 

12-19-04 10:24 PM - Post#1328    
    In response to

In my mind's eye, I see a first day of practice next year when the red team of Lewis, Votel, McMahon, Grandieri, and Kach, for example, scrimmage against Cohen, Egee, Pettinella, Franklin, and Whitehurst to see who emerges to challenge Manthey, Ibby, Zoller, Ebede, and Danley for time. Just find us some good shooters in the bunch, and we'll be cookin. BTY, I saw Manthey in the Red and Blue scrimmage last year and can report that we are in for a treat at the guard position when he becomes eligible this season. He is incredibly quick, as in Mike Jordan or Ibby quick. He didn't shoot much then, but he injected a pace that we haven't seen too much in Quakerland in the last few years. This season is going to be great fun, and next season we return to glory.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-20-04 02:07 AM - Post#1329    
    In response to

My understanding is that Manthey is eligible to play against Villanova. Is that right?

Anonymous 

12-20-04 02:17 AM - Post#1330    
    In response to SomeGuy

Don't know. Read on this Board that it was 7 games, so sounds right.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
12-20-04 07:13 PM - Post#1331    
    In response to

Cam Lewis is a bit differnt due to his family's history at Penn...

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.312 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:57 AM