Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Women's Basketball 2022-23        (Topic#26614)
Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-25-23 07:37 AM - Post#355049    
    In response to candyfan

These kinds of things will undoubtedly continue...which means that schools like Bucknell will serve as a farm system to develop players for schools with different standards. Players who leave forget the possibilities at Bucknell for a broad spectrum of experiences which can equip them to handle much more after hoops.

Will we ever see a win in a NCAA D1 tournament again for the likes of Colgate, Lehigh and any PL school?

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-25-23 08:07 AM - Post#355052    
    In response to Bison54

The combination of NIL dollars and the transfer portal is making college basketball a highly segmented sport, made up of an ever shrinking number of haves and a growing number of have nots. In the future, I can see 40-50 teams in a new Division 1 with the remainder of the teams in a Division 2 like organization.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-25-23 08:34 AM - Post#355057    
    In response to HoleinOne

Agree. There will likely be a structure like this, as now exists in football. Such is the pity.

Although, is the NCAA willing to give up March Madness which allows an FDU or a Princeton to advance? My guess is that their viewership is up because of the "underdog support" syndrome which happens almost every year.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-25-23 11:56 AM - Post#355064    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:
This PORTAL business has to stop!
The NCAA has tinkered too much with the system and now we reap the MESS that college basketball is!

Until this transfer craze is repaired, and it may never occur, we'll have these young kids who are not yet Women nor Men, making foolish decisions to move here or go there. (see Jimmy Sotos, etc.)

How can a Coach do justice to their program when you have this nonsense hanging over your head?

This disease, and that's what it is, has affected both the boys and girls teams at Bucknell and everywhere else. Now I suppose we'll have somebody saying that Trevor Woodruff has been out of touch with his team/players, or some other trash?

Thanx NCAA, for nothing, meddling in one of our nationally loved and supported past times, college basketball!

Agree 1000%!!!!

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-25-23 01:46 PM - Post#355074    
    In response to bison63

It’s not up to me to say whether or not a decision is foolish for another person. Factors that drive a decision are individual in nature, and we are all different. In the example given, who is anyone but Jimmy Sotos to say his was a good decision or not? It is his life. Only he truly knew the variable considered, the facts that mattered. We were able to make our decisions, so let others make theirs. Just because Bucknell was right for you doesn’t major right for everybody.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-25-23 02:31 PM - Post#355075    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
It’s not up to me to say whether or not a decision is foolish for another person. Factors that drive a decision are individual in nature, and we are all different. In the example given, who is anyone but Jimmy Sotos to say his was a good decision or not? It is his life. Only he truly knew the variable considered, the facts that mattered. We were able to make our decisions, so let others make theirs. Just because Bucknell was right for you doesn’t major right for everybody.

Agree.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
03-25-23 03:05 PM - Post#355077    
    In response to Bison137

I am 100% certain Jimmy Sotos left Bucknell because of Nathan Davis.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-25-23 03:10 PM - Post#355078    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
I am 100% certain Jimmy Sotos left Bucknell because of Nathan Davis.

True.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-25-23 04:54 PM - Post#355082    
    In response to Bison137

Remi Susselman has now entered the transfer portal. There may be more. I think eventually there will be a coaching change, but I’m not sure when.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-25-23 11:20 PM - Post#355100    
    In response to Bison137

Say what you will, but it seems to me that a decision by these athletes to transfer is a basketball related decision more than it is an academic one. Now if CC transfers to Harvard, Yale or Penn, I will retract that comment. But the “ you can play right away” transfer rule takes stability away from college athletics and imo makes the name “student athlete” a joke. True as stated in an above post, we don’t know all of the factors involved, but I sure am skeptical about whether athletes are leaving Bucknell in order to get a better education somewhere else, and if it is to improve their basketball situation by going to a place where they will get more playing time ( which absolutely cannot be the case with CC), or more visibility in a higher profile program, then I think it is a bad decision. I am not referring here to COVID 5th year players, which is really an entirely different issue. Now is it possible that after two years in college a 20 year old may have gotten s firmer fix on what they want to do in life, and another school is better suited to provide the education they need ? Certainly! And in that case “go and good luck to you.” But for some reason I do not believe that is the case here.

Finally as to the coaching change comment, there is no way Coach Woodruff is being fired ( short of having committed some grievous offense that I know nothing about) so if a change is coming, and the 2 women are leaving because of that, then Woodruff must be leaving on his own , and he has already told the team. If that is the case, we will know real soon I would think.

Anyway, the transfer rule sux.

Bison69 
Freshman

Reg: 03-03-12
03-26-23 02:05 AM - Post#355107    
    In response to bison63

You hit the nail on the head about the phrase "student athlete" being a joke. I read in the paper the other day about a pair of twins who transferred from the Fresno women's BB program to Miami where they are making $2M in NIL this year according to Forbes. There was always a degree to which the term mercenary could be applied to the revenue producing college sports but the combination of NIL and relaxed transfer capability has sent that into overdrive. The article was actually about Maggie Siegrist who talked about how NIL has transformed her life. It's hard to argue that athletes should be taking a longer view when they can cash in immediately, and at least in Siegrist's case she will have a diploma from a decent university in her back pocket should she need it when her athletic career has run its course.

I know next to nothing about how NIL actually works but apparently alumni groups are instrumental in setting up NIL programs for the athletes they want to attract whether it be incoming freshmen or transferees. All of this plays into the hands of the P5 programs so don't expect to see changes any time soon. Nevertheless, while we get eaten by the bigger fish, in order to compete we will have to ensure that our own NIL programs enable us to compensate by attracting freshmen and transfers from lesser programs in turn. When Truax was talking about looking for a candidate who could recruit and develop kids, I suspect it's more important they succeed in working the transfer portal and building up NIL resources.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
Women's Basketball 2022-23
03-31-23 08:15 AM - Post#355405    
    In response to Bison54

54, you bring up a good point. I managed a number of start-ups and was able to provide motivators, often other than money, that incented great people to join versus going with a larger, more established employer. Without sounding like a Pollyanna, I know how difficult this will be but sense that Griffin will use every available resource including alumni, high school coaching contacts, etc. to sell Bison advantages versus Davis who appeared to isolate himself. If we could add the Bucknell Administration to that list re: transfers and 5th year players that would be significant.

Edited by HoleinOne on 03-31-23 08:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
03-31-23 09:13 AM - Post#355410    
    In response to HoleinOne

Griffin is young enough and has enough savvy and swagger to get us the players we need to succeed. But this whole NIL stuff is just another iteration of the days when we'd get the good players, and "the man" would take care of the academics until the last year when the player wouldn't graduate and be basically out on the streets. Now the carrot is money and playing time. I say lets pay and play.

I also want to add that Bucknell did not participate in having "the man" help the players while they were in college, they have always been a legitimate upstanding great university with the nature of the bucknellian student being the immunity to the old social ill of questionalble university practices when it comes to winning basketball teams.

Edited by Paulie777 on 03-31-23 09:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-19-23 08:10 PM - Post#355816    
    In response to bison63

Bison added a transfer from Fordham today: 5=9 PG Sophia Sabino, who was a redshirt freshman this past year. Missed her true freshman year due to injury. Her older sister played for Lafayette a few years ago and another sister played for St. Francis (PA). Sabino committed to Fordham prior to the start of her junior year.

Sabino played for one of the NJ Shore's powerhouse programs, Red Bank Catholic, and also for the NJ Shoreshots, which is a very strong AAU program headed up by her mother. Incoming Bison recruit Rosey Scognamiglio also played for the Shoreshots for a number of years. Both Red Bank Catholic and the Shoreshots are loaded with future D1 players, so building a relationship in that area could be very valuable.

The Bison still have two open roster spots, and I would not be at all surprised if there is not at least one more incoming player.

HC13 
Freshman

Reg: 01-05-16
04-20-23 02:03 PM - Post#355823    
    In response to Bison137

Ashley O'Connor transfers in from Fordham. Played HS at St. John Vianney. Limited mins last season as a FR.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-24-23 12:55 PM - Post#355846    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Remi Susselman has now entered the transfer portal. There may be more. I think eventually there will be a coaching change, but I’m not sure when.

Sisselman ends up at Lehigh.

Collins thus far has visited Penn State, Boston College, Fairfield, and maybe others.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-24-23 02:21 PM - Post#355848    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Collins thus far has visited Penn State, Boston College, Fairfield, and maybe others.

Also had an official visit to Columbia, which has been a very good program.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
04-24-23 03:17 PM - Post#355852    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Ow, that hurts! But I have to admit that's a good fit for her with their 3-pt oriented offense.

HC13 
Freshman

Reg: 01-05-16
04-28-23 11:19 AM - Post#355954    
    In response to jkrun80

Klag into the portal

bison63 
Postdoc

04-28-23 12:51 PM - Post#355959    
    In response to HC13

Losing a player to another PL school sucks, as does this whole transfer portal concept.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.911 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:00 AM