Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Fordham Observations        (Topic#26618)
Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
11-07-22 11:17 PM - Post#346032    

A few observations on the Green's competitive opening night loss to Fordham on the road that was closer than the 88-74 final score indicates.

1. No shame in the outcome. Fordham is a solid team, with everyone back and some talented newcomers. They should finish in the upper division of the A10.

2. Dusan Neskovic (23 pts, 6rb 5-5 from 3) has game. I said as much before last season, then he got no run. This year will be different.

3. Dame Adelekun (21 pts 5 rb) looks like an all-Ivy type. He's going to be tough for some teams to defend.

4. Ryan Cornish (14, 5, 4) still looks like Ron Weasley and thus is especially fun to watch. He is the only established player who can create off the dribble.

5. Coach Mclaughlin is searching for other contributors. He played 12 guys in meaningful minutes, but no one else made much of a contribution (collectively they were 4-20 from the floor). There was one ugly stretch where he had all three freshmen on the floor. Krystowiak got much less time than I expected. I am assuming Obgu and Hudson (both DNP) are hurt.

All in all, they looked better than expected.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
11-08-22 06:17 AM - Post#346052    
    In response to Greenhorn

Our women played like **** in the last 90 seconds against Bryant.

Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
11-08-22 01:59 PM - Post#346078    
    In response to Go Green

Yes. but it's encouraging that they were even in a competitive enough situation to choke. Those were rare last year.

As an optimist, I'd note that xfer Mekkena Boyd looked solid with the ball, Soph Victoria Page can score, Frosh Olivia Lawlor was gritty, and they are playing (and I fear will continue to have to play) without their best player from last year, sophomore Doreen Ariik.

Give Coach Shibles some time. She was left with a pretty empty cupboard and has things heading in the right direction.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
11-08-22 02:07 PM - Post#346080    
    In response to Greenhorn

• Greenhorn Said:
Yes. but it's encouraging that they were even in a competitive enough situation to choke. Those were rare last year.

As an optimist, I'd note that xfer Mekkena Boyd looked solid with the ball, Soph Victoria Page can score, Frosh Olivia Lawlor was gritty, and they are playing (and I fear will continue to have to play) without their best player from last year, sophomore Doreen Ariik.

Give Coach Shibles some time. She was left with a pretty empty cupboard and has things heading in the right direction.

That's certainly the optimist's perspective. But down the stretch, we airballed two three-point attempts and simply coughed up the ball three other times on careless turnovers.

Even Shibles looked disgusted.

Hopefully the players understand that they got to execute better than that if they want to start winning games.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
11-09-22 01:18 PM - Post#346163    
    In response to Go Green

The biggest concern is that Bryant is not a good team at all.

The only reason Dartmouth had the lead to begin with was Bryant guards turned the ball over continuously in the first half with atrocious post entry passes. They cleaned that up in the second half, which a) allowed their post player to go crazy and end up with 22 pts. b) spread the floor so Bryant guards could start hitting open 3s.

I agree that Lawlor is a nice addition to this team and brings a level of size+athleticism they haven't had in a while. I doubt this version of the team will be worse than last year's, but they'll need to beat a semi-competent team before I think they're anything but meciocre.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.654 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:53 AM