Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hawaii        (Topic#26653)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
11-14-22 01:50 AM - Post#346506    

Matt Knowling put up his third consecutive 20-point game yesterday. He's looking more and more like a first team All-Ivy player every game. Hawaii is going to be a fair bit better than EWU, and obviously they have home court for this matchup. It should be a close one, and I may just have to stay awake long enough to watch it (tipoff is at 7pm Hawaii time, which is midnight Eastern - somewhat unneighborly of Hawaii to do to the one EST team in this whole tournament).

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Hawaii
11-15-22 01:49 AM - Post#346558    
    In response to iogyhufi

Yale leads 17-16 at the half. The defense is genuinely excellent, the offense is, uh, not. Of note - exactly one three-pointer was made in the whole first half (a bomb from Mahoney). Knowling leads all scorers with 8.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Hawaii
11-15-22 03:22 AM - Post#346559    
    In response to iogyhufi

Yale comes out on top 62-59 in OT. About as classic as the fourth game of the season can be. The second half had plenty of punch-counterpunch, but behind 18 from Knowling, 14 from Mahoney, and phenomenal defense from Jarvis and Mbeng, Yale pulls through. One point for improvement - Hawaii absolutely dominated the boards, with a 40% ORB rate and 20 more rebounds total. The Bulldogs will have to fix that going forward.

I need a whiskey after that one.

Edited by iogyhufi on 11-15-22 03:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
11-15-22 04:51 AM - Post#346561    
    In response to iogyhufi

I saw the second half. Typical poise and fight from Yale, which was needed given the venue and the agony-ecstacy officiating. It seemed like Mahoney's lethal FT shooting was a big key to pulling it out down the stretch.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
11-15-22 08:27 AM - Post#346564    
    In response to SRP

gutsy win.

3 in 4 days showed for both. but the refs did call an odd game. i thought it was balanced. but ticky tack checks on the floor were called. nothing up top
made it a mans game inside.

hawaii is a tough physical team. the oreb stats arent particularly reflective on the rebounding side. their fire hydrant 5-10'guard cleaned up on the bricks. they were quick to the caroom playground style. good on them.

jarvis, kelly and yassine gharam were terrific. knowling is a tough guard now the way he is moving inside/out.

i give the game ball to yassine. basically no time last year. so he leads the team all OT after mbeng is done in a snake pit 9 hrs from home.

well done young man.

i said i liked this team. they can beat you in more ways than i originally thought.
knowling, jarvis, kelley, yassine all trending better. and defense is elite.

james 
Masters Student

11-15-22 08:28 AM - Post#346565    
    In response to james

and hat tip to EJ on the dunk block.
i have him at 5 blocks. official at 4.

they actually looked clean also though these refs werent calling much up top on either.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-15-22 04:34 PM - Post#346583    
    In response to james

Apparently this is the first time Yale has been 4-0 since the 1949-50 season.

Thinking about recent seasons where Yale has come close:
2014-15 - Yale opened with QPac, D3 Newbury, UIC, and Southern Illinois. Yale ended the season 77 in KenPom and the best of these teams finished 177, so you'd think they'd have managed it here. But Yale dropped a howler in Hamden to open the season before winning the next five games.
2015-16 - the year Yale beat Baylor, they rattled off wins over Fairfield, Sacred Heart, and Lehigh before letting a game at KP 18 SMU slip through their fingers.
2018-19 - Yale went 2-2 against Cal, Memphis, Vermont, and Bryant. The Memphis loss (in 2OT) featured some of the worst officiating known to mankind (Yale was called for 40 fouls to Memphis' 22), and Yale was without defensive stopper Trey Phills for the Vermont game, where Vermont's star PG Stef Smith boosted the Catamounts to victory.

Obviously the first four teams Yale played didn't have a team as strong as they usually have there, but it's still a fine accomplishment.

james 
Masters Student

11-16-22 02:53 PM - Post#346684    
    In response to iogyhufi

Crazy. The memphis game was so ooc.
this has been a benign schedule so far

We shall see.

But knowling has improved his jumper and the inside out movement makes him tough to guard.

Hawaii had solid personnel and coaching I think….if healthy this team can win in different ways unlike last year
But I assume besides Kentucky we don’t need to get outrebounded like that
I am hopeful the tight 3 point defense and bricks undermined the Oreb efforts

But we shall see

james 
Masters Student

11-16-22 03:02 PM - Post#346685    
    In response to james

I also like the lineup experimentation

Hawaii forced James to go bigger when he could

I wish he’d start jarvis ooc but was encouraged that knowling Kelly and jarvis played together

Jarvis and Kelly were very good. Hawaiis da Silva and hepa are pretty good. Remember that hepa is like the best recruit ever from Alaska and he disappointed at Texas but he isn’t an easy guard

Front court has been a strength even excluding knowlings start which I was hopeful for

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-16-22 03:24 PM - Post#346686    
    In response to james

Oh I think Hawaii is going to be strong this year. They're at a disadvantage with all their road games being literally an ocean away, but they clearly have a lot of talent.

I was pleased to see that the team could win when things aren't going right. Good mentality to control what you can control even when you can't hit shots, you're tired, and you're in front of a hostile crowd.

This team as-is is going to be good, barring injury. If they want to be really good, they need to get more consistent production from the guards. Not that they've been playing poorly, but they need to be able to really punish teams who pack the paint to stop Knowling/Jarvis. Vermont will be a good test come Tuesday.

james 
Masters Student

11-16-22 08:46 PM - Post#346694    
    In response to iogyhufi

i like what i am seeing out of poulakidas and mahoney.
hopefully pouli's 2 pt efficiency increases. really both.
pouli can really create his shot on anyone i think. quick release. and he has length. i see why hm's went after him even in a covid year.

mbeng and hopefully feinberg et all have some upward mean reversion in shooting efficiency to come.

molloy aint afraid either. he adds a dimension given he is built like a defensive end.

anyway, vermont etc will offer stiffer tests to come. but the options are all intriguing.

basa ama and wolf are exciting for the future
i liked their minutes and hopefully they get their chances.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-17-22 05:05 PM - Post#346743    
    In response to james

In other future opponent news, Colorado sandwiches a road win over #11 Tennessee between a road loss to KP 300 Grambling State and a neutral site loss to KP 146 UMass. A bizarrely inconsistent team, but it looks like Yale should have a puncher's chance in that game at least.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

12-26-22 12:07 AM - Post#348475    
    In response to iogyhufi

Update on the 'Bows: they just won the Diamond Head Classic with wins over Pepperdine, Wazzu (taking out old Ivy hand Kyle Smith in the process), and a red-hot SMU at the buzzer. Hawaii will be trouble in the Big West.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
12-26-22 10:49 AM - Post#348478    
    In response to iogyhufi

Yale has earned the #1 seed based on OCC performance. Cornell has obviously been the biggest surprise and a real threat to win every night. Harvard and Princeton Square off Saturday in a game that should answer a lot of questions about both teams. Penn will contend, of course. One of these teams will have a disappointing finish to its season. Better get out the tie-breaker manual!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.214 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:27 AM