Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Colorado        (Topic#26706)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
11-26-22 12:20 AM - Post#347090    

Yale's next test is a Sunday afternoon tilt high in the Rockies with a reunion with an old friend (Jalen Gabbidon) and an old foe (Ethan Wright). Colorado is a very inconsistent team - how the same team that lost to Grambling State and UMass can beat Tennessee and smoke Texas A&M is beyond me. This is a winnable game if things tilt the right way, but obviously it'd be a lot easier if Yale gets the bad version of Colorado.

The Buffs like to run, which at altitude will be a fitness test for the Bulldogs. When they hit their threes, it seems like things open up a lot for them, so Yale will need to hold them down on that front as best they can. Yale is currently 14th in the country at d3P%, which should prove useful (unless you're mrjames, who steadfastly argues that d3P% is mostly luck).

Unfortunately this game is consigned to the Pac-12 Network, but it should be a good one.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
11-27-22 06:13 PM - Post#347160    
    In response to iogyhufi

well tough ending considering the last two possessions.

Pouli lit up gabbidon. Given he called out the plays I am sorry but he’s a turncoat for this one. He did corral the steal on the last second play to tie

Ft disparity was garbage

Mile high adv isn’t small says my wife who played there

we like tad Boyle bc he is recruiting in our family as we speak
But even the wife didn’t like the play calls

Viva yale!

james 
Masters Student

11-27-22 06:23 PM - Post#347162    
    In response to james

we didn’t get the inside whistle in the 1st half which affecting our finishing
Or really ever when it mattered
The offense was much better in 2nd half
One play away and considering 2 contributors know our sets not bad

They have a garbage big and we Shld have pounded him
But otherwise they aren’t an easy matchup for us given their size at most positions

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-27-22 06:47 PM - Post#347163    
    In response to james

Poulakidas was unguardable. The big stiff they had (Lovering) was hard to punish given that the refs wouldn't call him for anything. That was not Yale's best effort, but Poulakidas' unconscious 3 point shooting kept us in it. Our defense got a lot better in the second, which was nice. I like us against Butler after seeing that, and certainly in the rest of Yale's non-con outside of KY, they should be heavily favored.

I think Yale has shown that they can guard an awful lot of teams at a high level at this point, and that's what's going to take them places if they can keep it up.

james 
Masters Student

11-27-22 07:42 PM - Post#347169    
    In response to iogyhufi

I agree

Tadd Boyle thinks it’s a big win so that’s respect
And he acknowledged the altitude adv but not the refs

We need bez to get going and hit some shots. obv possession at the end was unfortunate but it followed a nice drive

Yassine really runs this offense well. He’s a surprise

pouli was loved by some power 5 programs I spoke to during recruiting process so he doesn’t surprise me much

the team guards so when shots fall we are fine

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-27-22 08:31 PM - Post#347173    
    In response to james

Every so often, Gharram makes absolutely amazing passes. His floor vision is really good.

I think Mbeng is struggling with decisiveness more than anything. He's so talented, it's easy to forget he's a true sophomore and a young one at that. I think it'll be easier for him once Yale leaves the killer portion of the noncon and he can have some games against easier teams to find his rhythm.

Agreed about the defense - KenPom says Yale has the 55th best D in the country, and that's the sort of thing that wins you championships. The O will come as the young guys learn the offense and get more comfortable with the actions it requires.

I didn't realize this at first, but even though Yale's noncon isn't exactly full of great teams, the Bulldogs have only two home games against D1 competition. Wednesday is a home game against Howard, and then the next game in JLA is January 6 against Dartmouth. It's a great test to play road games even against poor teams, and I'm really impressed with how they've handled it so far.

james 
Masters Student

11-28-22 10:20 AM - Post#347192    
    In response to iogyhufi

that’s an excellent point.

I was just reflecting on this road notion in hs sports watching some hs tournaments.
The refs are awful (home court/fan influence) and fans are crazy and every parent is putting a Hail Mary on their kids and going all in. It really makes u want to jump out of your skin with kids involved.

Now move up to college sports…with all the extra weight and distinctions.

Anyway it’s just hard to win on the road in this hyper competitive world we live in starting w grassroot sports and certainly d1

I feel old but I tell my family members this. It is just harder w different stakes involved than 25 yrs ago when I came along.

In other news Samson Aletan is a beast. We just watched him on espn+ in a nationally televised game.
His frame reminds me of a kid from the usvi who I played against
When he was unknown.

I know I know. Don’t get ahead of yourself.

But what a damn pickup for yale!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.128 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:50 PM