Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: all-girl three-way action!!        (Topic#2673)
The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
03-06-06 10:28 PM - Post#17084    

If, as expected, Dartmouth and Princeton win at home on Tuesday night against Harvard and Penn, respectively, they and Brown will be in a three-way tie for the Ivy championship in women's basketball. The playoff possibilities are set forth here:

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=5004

The article says that if there is a three-way tie, the team that gets a bye will be determined with a "coin draw." In fact they would do better to roll a die, since I don't think you can choose among three alternatives with a two-sided randomizer.*

Columbia, this year's codoormat with Yale, nearly upset this scenario against Dartmouth on Friday. The game was tight all the way, and the Lions hit a three-pointer with about 12 seconds left in regulation to tie it up and then went out to a four-point lead in overtime.

Then Dartmouth turned on the pressure against a tired Lions defense and regained the lead as Fatima Kamara used her signature move--driving the baseline, dribbling past the basket, then whirling around and sinking a layup--three or four possessions in a row, and the Columbia players were too spent to do much except wave at her.

Even so, at the end, Columbia got the ball back down three with 10 or 12 seconds left. Unfortunately, the in-bounder--Cate Taylor, the same player who hit the three-pointer at the end of regulation--stepped on the baseline and that was basically all she wrote. Final score: Dartmouth 70, Columbia 65 (OT).

* Well, I guess you can do it by flipping two coins--say HH is Dartmouth, HT is Brown, TH is Princeton, and if it's TT you flip again. You might have to flip several times in succession, but that only heightens the suspense.

The Lion King 
Senior

Princeton gets a bye
03-08-06 01:39 PM - Post#17085    
    In response to The Lion King

The "coin draw" gave Princeton a free pass, so Dartmouth and Brown will play at Yale on Friday evening, with the winner playing Princeton at Yale on Sunday afternoon:

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/article.asp?intID=5009

It seems a little unfair that both games are at a neutral site, doesn't it? I think it would be better to make the team that gets a first-round bye play on the road in the second round. That way, if you assume (roughly) that a neutral-site game is a 50-50 proposition and that a home team has a 2/3 chance of winning, each team has a 1/3 shot. (I forget how they did this when there was a three-way tie on the men's side a few years back.)

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Re: Princeton gets a bye
03-08-06 01:50 PM - Post#17086    

That year, the bye was determined by the best combined record against the other 2 schools. Essentially, it punished Princeton and Yale for losing to better teams (not that I'm complaining). Both games were at a neutral site.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-08-06 05:59 PM - Post#17087    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

About the first-round neutral site in 2001-02...I could obviously see two factors at play. Penn fans packing The Palestra to cheer against Princeton because of the rivalry or the notion that if we're going to lose to anyone, we'd rather lose to Yale than a rival. But, since Princeton is closer, I could see more Tigers fans that Bulldogs fans being able to make the trip.

Can anyone in attendance at that first-round game summarize the breakdown in attendance?

NCT 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
03-08-06 09:06 PM - Post#17088    
    In response to mrjames

Not to provide more fuel for the recent trashing of Princeton's fan base around here, but there were considerably more Yale fans at that game than PU fans, if my memory is correct.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-10-06 11:09 PM - Post#17089    
    In response to NCT

Quote:

Not to provide more fuel for the recent trashing of Princeton's fan base around here, but there were considerably more Yale fans at that game than PU fans, if my memory is correct.

But there were more Penn fans than either. The NY Times article the next day made note of the overwhelming presence of Penn fans and their chant at the end of the game of "It doesn't matter!"

The Lion King 
Senior

Dartmouth-Princeton gametracker
03-12-06 06:12 PM - Post#17090    

can be found at

http://livestats.dartmouthathletics.collegesports.com/livestats/data/w-baskbl/431766/gt_index.html

The Lion King 
Senior

Dartmouth-Princeton
03-12-06 07:10 PM - Post#17091    

Dartmouth 31, Princeton 26 early in second half

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.491 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:16 AM