Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Kansas        (Topic#26811)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-22-22 10:21 AM - Post#348387    

Harvard at Kansas (-21.5) today. Take Kansas and give the points. Harvard can't shoot 3's (27%) which would be the only way they wouldn't get blown out bigly. Hope we emerge healthy.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
12-22-22 11:58 AM - Post#348391    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

In the last eight years (starting from the 50-point UVA blowout), Harvard has only lost by more than 21 points once -- not any of the trips to UK/KU/UNC/etc, but the home game against Dartmouth to end last season.

Of course this Harvard team isn't as good as most of those were, but there's a pattern of playing up against good teams, which I think might be more than a coincidence.

CrimsonBlood 
Freshman

Reg: 03-15-18
12-22-22 10:33 PM - Post#348448    
    In response to whitakk

Harvard played tough. Remarkably, they had a chance to win despite not playing our best.

A few learnings from this game:

-The team is tough and won’t back down. Typical Amaker-coached team. Look, this team is nowhere near as talented as some squads from previous years, but they went into the defending National champions home court and had a single digit game down the stretch. They will compete with any Ivy team all year.

-Free throws continue to be a problem. 5/14 from the charity stripe is not going to cut it. Ajogbor in particular… 0/5. I mean, come on. Some of his attempts were laughably bad. He is a good athlete but becomes a liability if he can’t put up a half decent free throw and make at least 50%.

-Ledlum forced it tonight. He’s our best player, but seemed to be pressing. Maybe to show off to scouts, not sure. But he played too much 1 v 1 basketball. That works in the Ivy League, but not against a team like Kansas. 6-18 on the night with 5 turnovers.

-Guard play continues to be erratic. 15 team turnovers vs 12 assists is not good. Silverstein and Sakota in particular seemed uncomfortable out there. Silverstein will often drive to the paint, pick up his dribble, and then force a turnover. Sakota just doesn’t seem that comfortable off the dribble at all.

-on the other hand, I liked what I saw from Nelson. 4-7 from the field, only one turnover to 4 assists. In my opinion, he needs to be given more responsibility of this offense because he showed a spark against elite competition.

-Finally, I was surprised at how little Okpara played. I would’ve rather seen him get more minutes than Ajogbor, given the Ajogbor’s turnovers and inability to make a free throw. Ajogbor did play good defense with high energy- I’ll give him that.

It will be interesting to see how this team looks in Ivy play.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-23-22 01:09 AM - Post#348452    
    In response to CrimsonBlood

I believe my expectations were heavily influenced by my PTSD incurred while attending UVA’s 76-27 thrashing of a much better 2014-15 Crimson squad. That was the same squad that fell to UNC 67-65 in rhe NCAA tournament, game I also attended and we could have won.

We shot 3’s a little better today (7-22). I believe that’s our key to sustained success. Of course we also went 5-14 on FT’s. One step forward…..

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
12-23-22 11:14 AM - Post#348454    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I like how hard we are playing defensively, and there are moments on the offensive end. Don't love heading into Jadwin next Saturday. The beginning of the Ivy slate is not kind--not to look ahead but have to have one of the first three and then take care of business against Columbia and Dartmouth.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
12-23-22 12:17 PM - Post#348456    
    In response to digamma

What's the deal on Lesmond?

Three's and free throws will determine the story for the Ivy season. Young team has grown up, but first 3 Ivy games on road is asking a lot. Surely Kansas effort produced some confidence for all.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:50 AM