Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Another WBB loss        (Topic#26825)
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-27-23 01:58 PM - Post#352680    
    In response to CM

• CM Said:
This is the knock on Dartmouth the last several years, they are essentially recruiting D 2/3 players to a D1 program. Fair to say the results back that up.

I guess hiring a staff that has zero experience recruiting at the D1 level might not be a great idea....

This time CM, I'm not going to argue with you.

There are only two ways to turn around a losing program--coach your players up or get better players. Thus far, it does not appear that Shibles has done either.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
02-27-23 02:54 PM - Post#352683    
    In response to Go Green

The top Ivys are getting nationally ranked prospects who are choosing those programs over the highest mid-majors or even Power5 programs. Penn has two transfers from Power5 programs and most of their rotation players had offers from conferences above the Ivy. Same for Columbia, Princeton, and Harvard.

It's really hard to tell how good a coach she is, to be fair. Huge winning legacy at D3 but at D1 part of being a good coach is getting and retaining good players.

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-27-23 03:58 PM - Post#352687    
    In response to CM

I fully appreciate that it is not easy going after the same players as HYPP. And I guess Columbia is reaching that level as well. We may lose most of those battles.

I also fully appreciate that it is not easy getting players to forego scholarships at competitive programs.

But can't we get players with SOME other D-I offers? How hard can it be? Isn't there the same overlap for female high school basketball players between the Ivy and the Patriot League as there is in other sports? Beating out Colgate, Holy Cross, Lehigh and others for players would be a step in the right direction for us...

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
02-27-23 11:31 PM - Post#352711    
    In response to Go Green

I scrolled down to the senior spotlights. These were their favorite moments from four years of Dartmouth hoops:
• “My favorite memory is beating Harvard at home my freshman year. It was an amazing way to open the season and a great introduction to Ivy League play.”
• “My favorite memory is playing and scoring against Columbia last season.”
• “My favorite memory was playing at Iowa this year because I got to play in front of my friends and family, and got to show my teammates where I grew up.”
• "My favorite memory is from freshman year when we celebrated the win over Harvard."

So, to sum up: two said they loved the first of just six Ivy League victories (assuming they lose their season finale) they had in their careers, one liked getting to actually play in a game that one time, and one enjoyed getting to show her teammates around...Iowa City.

I guess it can only go up from here (or just plateau at the ocean's floor).

I will say that I liked hiring Shibles. It worked well for Princeton (though Berube played at UConn, not Bates). Her bio says Swarthmore gave her five years to turn a basement team into a competitive one, so maybe that's how long it takes here? I hope we both have that much patience and are ultimately rewarded for it. I mean, we've waited through five seasons of Ivy Madness without a top four finish and 63 seasons without an Ivy League regular season title for the men, and here we still are, boats against the current, still borne towards that green light (or ceaselessly into the past--whatever).

CM 
Masters Student

02-28-23 07:10 AM - Post#352717    
    In response to flinder

I will give the kids in the program a break every time. Those women had to say something in their senior highlights, I'm sure if they could have been honest you'd have heard something totally different.

Not a single person on Shibles's staff has experience in D1 basketball. Go compare her staff to Brown's, which was even worse than Dartmouth when LeBlanc started last year.

Btw, Berube had two years coaching u16 and u17 girls Team USA, that alone gave her access to the best high school programs in the country

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-28-23 09:52 AM - Post#352718    
    In response to CM

I suppose we will find out soon enough if Shibles decides to shake up her staff to add more D-I experience. Although I can't imagine anyone anxious to join a program that is threatening the record for consecutive conference losses...

Any idea what that record might be for the Ivy? I'm well aware that CalTech lost several hundred basketball games in a row before finally winning...

CM 
Masters Student

02-28-23 10:09 AM - Post#352720    
    In response to Go Green

They have long way to catch Columbia's early '90s record. 10 wins over 8 Ivy seasons, including 2 winless Ivy records.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
02-28-23 04:44 PM - Post#352742    
    In response to Go Green

Interesting that you should mention CalTech for losing hundreds of games in a row before winning. This year they ended with a mediocre record of 8-17. Their head coach is Annie Tarakchian, who could be described as a branch of the Courtney Banghart coaching tree. Annie played for Banghart at Princeton and was All-Ivy her last two years.

https://gocaltech.com/sports/womens-basketb all/ros...

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-02-23 07:10 AM - Post#352840    
    In response to Albert08

• Albert08 Said:
Interesting that you should mention CalTech for losing hundreds of games in a row before winning. This year they ended with a mediocre record of 8-17. Their head coach is Annie Tarakchian, who could be described as a branch of the Courtney Banghart coaching tree. Annie played for Banghart at Princeton and was All-Ivy her last two years.

https://gocaltech.com/sports/womens-basketb all/ros...

Wasn't aware of this. Thanks for sharing! Will be interesting to see what she does in her career.

Turning CalTech into a respectable team is no easy feat..

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.856 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:38 PM