Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown in the NC        (Topic#26840)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-02-23 11:08 AM - Post#348718    

Relative to expectations, Brown had a good NC performance. Highlighted by the great wins at Bryant and URI. Only one ‘bad’ loss at Loyola, and they didn’t play well at MSU plus couldn’t score at Northwestern in a game that was winnable because of their defense.

The defense has been such a surprise. I’m still not sure exactly how or why. But they are the top defensive rebounding team in the nation (due in large part to Wojcik), they force turnovers and are solid enough in the other areas. But it’s the biggest reason they have a winning record and they tied up lots of teams in knots, including Northwestern.

The offense has underwhelmed. They get turned over a ton. They don’t get many 2nd chance points off the boards. And of course the FT shooting has been the worst in the nation. Their shooting from the field though has been solid, and their assist rate - which can be a deceiving stat - has been very high. So those last two stats give you some hope that the offense itself maybe isn’t broken and that if they just control what they can control a little better, they’ve got upside here.

Brown has a recent history of underperforming in the Ivy after having a promising NC season, so who knows if any of these trends continue. It’s not exactly a stretch to expect their FT shooting will improve and their defensive rebounding will decline. But the beginning of league play is huge for them, because the teams they’d have to beat to make the Ivy tournament are right in front of them. Two of the teams they’ll need to finish ahead of come to the Pitz, and I’d think those are games they probably need to win to have a shot. At some point you just need to win the home games and take out the lesser teams on the road.

It all starts tonight.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
Brown in the NC
01-02-23 01:58 PM - Post#348724    
    In response to Bruno

I think we've really benefitted from Owusu-Anane playing more minutes and Anya's arrival. Not only are they good rebounders, they've also contributed with rim defense - Anya had a couple nice blocks at Northwestern - and Nana is also good for a steal or two a game. Off the bench, Ndur and Cooley bring good energy on the boards and on defense. And I haven't even mentioned Kimo or the rebounding of Wojcik, as you alluded to, Bruno.

Turnovers are the main obstacle for us, IMO - our opponents are averaging 14.2 points off our turnovers per 40 minutes. And some of the same guys who are difference makers on D are the guys who are particularly loose with the ball, especially Anya and Nana, although Nana has done much better in his last five games. I think Kino and Nana have been connecting more of late, and I'm hopeful that the latter can emerge as a third reliable option on offense. Another question mark is Dan Friday - will he be back for Ivy play and can he be a difference maker? I will be interested to see how Penn defends us this evening and how some of the younger guys fare as we transition to conference play.

Edited by Ever True on 01-02-23 02:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-02-23 02:05 PM - Post#348725    
    In response to Ever True

I think Friday can help, both on the office and the rebounding, but I’m not sure when he’s going to be healthy enough to play. He will have considerable rust to wear off.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-02-23 05:10 PM - Post#348732    
    In response to Old Bear

Really too bad about Friday and his health. He’s had extended injuries that kept him out for weeks at a time every year he’s been here. He is a difference-maker when he’s right, although not a great perimeter defender. His one-handed shot, his assist rate, his ballhandling and his ability to create for himself - all assets we miss.

Agree Nana and Anya have formed a formidable frontcourt and they’ve really offset the losses of Choh and Gainey. And Ndur! He’s also been a positive surprise. He makes plays.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.139 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:41 AM