Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn        (Topic#26843)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-02-23 10:11 PM - Post#348792    

I liked how Brown battled in the 2nd. Fantastic showing by Kino and a really good one from Nana as well. Lots of gutty play and really great on the boards. They missed countless open shots, and the big ones they hit were all Kino quick release which became most of the scoring in the 2nd half. Biggest gripe was that this strong defensive team got zero stops down the stretch. Penn scored every time. Yes, sometimes on tough shots. But no stops when it mattered.

Slachjert was unbelievable. Just too good to be beaten. I didn’t know how great he could be. Dingle was almost as incredible in the 2nd half. Two memorable performances. If they play like that they can win the league.

Even with those performances, Brown can’t lose this game by 9 at home.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Penn
01-02-23 10:26 PM - Post#348794    
    In response to Bruno

Also notable: two primary weaknesses made a difference tonight. The first being 16 turnovers - many unforced (stay in bounds maybe). The second being FTs. Lotsa points left out there. Between those two that’s ballgame.

At some point we stopped doubling Dingle, and seemed like that’s when he took off.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-02-23 10:29 PM - Post#348795    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, I was asking this on the Penn board during the game, but I just don't understand why Martin went away from the defense they used in the first half. It forced Dingle to give the ball up, primarily to the Penn big men down low who weren't particularly effective.

They played Penn much more straight up in the 2nd half, and that played to the Quakers' advantage. The first half Dingle had very little room to operate, but not so in the second half.

Edited by penn nation on 01-02-23 10:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-03-23 12:25 AM - Post#348800    
    In response to penn nation

Dunno. Focus may have shifted to Slajchert after a first half in which he seemed the more dangerous. Dingle only took a few shots and wasn’t playing particularly aggressively. Feels like we got lulled to sleep. But Dingle can’t be guarded 1-on-1 in this league.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Penn
01-03-23 08:19 AM - Post#348806    
    In response to Bruno

The Quakers have two elite Ivy guards while the Bears have one. Both teams played really hard on O and D. But two elite guards asserting themselves in the second half outweighed the efforts of one.
The Bears have four home games to start the season. And 5 out of the first 6. Losing to the pre-season favorite in a hard fought game is not a horrible thing. Especially in a league in a league that seems to have good balance. But Brown will need to start holding serve on their home court, starting this weekend with Harvard and Dartmouth, to have any chance of contending for a play-off spot.

Edited by JBears on 01-03-23 08:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-03-23 09:52 AM - Post#348809    
    In response to JBears

I see both Yale and Princeton as more the favorites to win. Penn is good, not great. They have the best backcourt in the league IMO. But I’d still put the other two ahead of them as more complete teams, despite how Yale (!) started the season.

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
01-03-23 01:04 PM - Post#348820    
    In response to Bruno

Was at the game last night - it was a pleasure to watch Slajchert and Lilly go back and forth last night, even if I would've liked to see the Bears come out on top.

I thought that the Bears dictated the pace in the first half and played at Penn's preferred speed in the second. I'm not sure if this was a result of the change in defensive approach or vice versa, but I don't think we're going to win many games that way. Especially when we shoot 26% from beyond the arc - I love the energy that Ferrari and Cowan bring on D but they cannot go 0 for the night from three if we want to win.

I will say that this team's energy shone threw last night - Nana is a great leader, even as a sophomore, and brought the guys together at multiple points throughout the second half. The team was clearly disappointed at the end of the game. I don't think I've seen a coach move as quickly through the handshake line as Mike did last night. I feel optimistic that they'll be up and ready for Harvard on Friday, which will be important, as I agree with JBears that without a W in that one, the play-offs will quickly become a pipe dream.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-03-23 01:57 PM - Post#348822    
    In response to Bruno

Good points, Bruno. I must have been reading the work of a Penn prognosticator. Being in the gym last night, I was impressed with Penn’s size and athleticism. They really got out on the Brown shooters and collapsed quickly to clog the interior, as well. If they had a stronger scoring option on the inside to complement the lead guards, they’d be that much tougher to defend.
The Bears have to work so hard to get off a decent shot, as there are no real “scores” or “shooters” except for Lily, Jr. He is the only one who can make his own shot. Without a reliable second scoring option, the great ball movement the Bears have exhibited is often negated by a missed open jump shot.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.868 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:34 AM