Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn/Princeton        (Topic#26857)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-07-23 03:43 PM - Post#349096    

Very quiet on this board after an impressive win v. Penn. The comments over on the Quaker board are pretty spot-on, but did anyone foresee Ryan Kiachian getting meaningful PT last night? And that includes Ryan's mom.

Battle for first place tonight. 3 games against Princeton last year were decided by a total of 11 points. I see no reason that trend won't continue.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
01-09-23 12:31 PM - Post#349254    
    In response to mountainred

My 2 cents. Solid win vs Penn as Cornell had too much depth for them. Cornell's guards outplayed Dingle and Slajchert and Penn did not get much production from anyone else except Martz. Princeton was a tough but winnable game for Cornell but Princeton was solid, especially the last 3-4 minutes of the game. The refs were bad for both teams and almost lost control, with lots of holding and grabbing on both ends. The strangest play of the game is when Dolan stole it from Langborg who then dove and looked like he fouled him, Ragland got involved by going for the loose ball and somehow Langborg ended up at the other end for a one-and-one. Bad call, but Cornell fell apart at key times during the game. I thought Gray played OK but got a technical foul for something after Princeton committed a foul against him. Princeton made both technical shots and we missed the one and one. Williams was no factor as he got into foul trouble and it seemed like every time he got in the game he took another foul, he seemed more concerned about the fans. Evbuomwan is a tough matchup, too big for a guard and too skilled for a big, he is fun to watch. Princeton deserved the win.

I was surprised with the playing time for Kiachian, he must be playing well in practice and Earl is probably looking for a low post option.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Penn/Princeton
01-09-23 02:37 PM - Post#349265    
    In response to FlareScreen

Don't know how you can say the Cornell backcourt outplayed the Penn backcourt---Slajchert/Din gle outscored any 2 Cornell guards. Definitely, the depth played a role. But the game was decided in a little over a 2 minute period during which (depending on how you look at it), the refs either allowed Cornell to hack any Quaker with a ball in his hands or Penn could not withstand the tough defensive pressure and they turned it over 5 times and a 1 point Penn lead became a 12 point Cornell lead. Turnovers were the difference on Friday. I think we'll see a different Penn performance at the Palestra. Congrats on the strong game, though.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
Re: Penn/Princeton
01-09-23 05:15 PM - Post#349280    
    In response to palestra38

Fair enough, but I said outplayed, not outscored. Dingle and Slajchert outscored the 2 Cornell guards (Williams and Dolan) 36-24. Both combos played comparable minutes. The Cornell duo had 11 assists, 2 turnovers and 12 rebounds. The Penn duo had 3 assists, 7 turnovers and 1 rebound. It was a good game and I am sure Penn will be ready for the rematch on their home court.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-09-23 06:28 PM - Post#349281    
    In response to FlareScreen

Both games were physical, and I thought the refs struggled to control it both nights. I had wondered if the chippiness between Penn and Cornell would go away with Dickinson and Jelani Williams graduating. Seemed like a lot of guys (particularly Gray, Nazir Williams, and Slajchert) were ready to pick it up. Lots of holding and grabbing and bumping throughout. Should be an interesting rematch.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.149 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:41 AM