Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Savants needed        (Topic#26867)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
01-10-23 06:12 PM - Post#349344    

So now that we have had a few days to reflect on the disasters of the last weekend (I am referencing the MBB program only; I am willing to assume that the refs robbed the women in Philly with the 21-3 foul shot disparity), quo vadis? I thought the Penn game was far more dispiriting than the Princeton game insofar as Dingle really exposed us, but did anybody see anything positive (excluding the fact that the coaches ditched the bowling team shirts)?

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
01-10-23 07:00 PM - Post#349347    
    In response to Chet Forte

The women lost at Philly because the most of the five starters played 45 minutes at Princeton on Friday night. Penn is a good team, and while we usually can shift into fifth gear whenever we are challenged, the women just didn't have enough in the tank.

The men are a more depressing story. Against Princeton, we proved we don't have a competitive center; against Penn, we proved we don't yet have competitive guards. In theory, we have some talent on the squad, and it is just all part of the growth process. But that explanation is getting ever thinner as we get deeper into the season.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-10-23 08:33 PM - Post#349349    
    In response to cc66

Gentlemen, as almost always, I agree with your comments, but I am sure our arrogant buddy on this Board, the good "Dr. V." will claim once again that anyone who criticizes Coach Engles in any manner is wrong and unqualified to do so because none of us understand the game of basketball. I await with much anticipation his certain attack.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-11-23 07:53 AM - Post#349359    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Perhaps Dr. V has new insights.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-12-23 01:05 PM - Post#349432    

I don't know why we played so poorly last weekend. We had played pretty well the previous 3 games, the Ws against Lafayette and Yale and the OT loss to UMES. We're obviously very young, Murphy's having lost most of the OC games may explain why his shooting has dropped off from last year, and not having our best three point shooter, Shockley-Okeke, hurts. But even given all that, and given that Pr and Penn are good to very good teams, I don't know why individually most of our players played worse.

Re criticism and "arrogance," when it comes to matters about which I care, and I care about our program, I don't have much tolerance for verbal diarrhea. I have this quaint notion that if I don't have some credible evidentiary basis and some logic for saying something, I should then keep my mouth shut. Some on our board have an opposite view and think that ignorance is license. That's your right, but don't whine when I call you out on it.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-12-23 03:47 PM - Post#349446    
    In response to Dr. V

CSO was on the bench in civvies last weekend. I assume he is out for the year.The hallmark of a well coached team which has a talent deficit is to play relentless defense. I can understand Murphy’s airballs, and the inability of others to create their shot, and our lack of muscle down low except for Tavroff, but what I cannot understand is why our guys are so soft on defense.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-13-23 03:06 PM - Post#349485    

We played D well in the preceding three games, particularly in the OT game we lost. Again, it's unclear why we took a step back last weekend.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-14-23 10:01 AM - Post#349499    
    In response to Dr. V

First Ivy back to back is probably tough on a young team, too.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:19 AM