Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#26875)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
01-13-23 06:51 PM - Post#349489    

Yale leads Cornell 49-43 at half. Cornell is scorching the rims (8-13 from 3), but Yale's offense has been clinical, and some of the threes are starting to fall for the Bulldogs.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Cornell
01-13-23 07:57 PM - Post#349490    
    In response to iogyhufi

Well, the offense continues to be the problem. As good as it was in the first half, the offense stagnated in the second for far too long. Cornell hit a lot of contested shots, which is their forte, and Yale again missed too many wide-open threes.

mbaprof 67
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
01-14-23 09:50 AM - Post#349497    
    In response to iogyhufi

When yale was up 15, Barstool had Cornell plus 11.5 and 9 to 1 to win which they did easily.

scoop85 
Freshman

Loc: Goshen, NY
Reg: 02-16-12
Cornell
01-14-23 10:35 AM - Post#349501    
    In response to mbaprof

A mind-blowing last 10 minutes for Cornell. They couldn’t miss from the floor or the free throw line (where they struggled earlier this year), and Yale looked like the proverbial deer in headlights. Hard to believe Nazir Williams was scoreless against Princeton after his All-Ivy level game yesterday.

Very important for Cornell to have come out of the home stretch against P-P-Y 2-1. Hopefully the Big Red takes care of business in NYC Monday.

[sorry, I meant to post this on the Cornell board]

Edited by scoop85 on 01-14-23 10:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Cornell
01-14-23 11:30 AM - Post#349503    
    In response to scoop85

The game was eerily reminiscent of the one Penn played in Ithaca the previous Friday night.

In last week's game, Martz picked up his fourth foul midway through the second half, which hurt Penn at both ends of the floor. In last night's game, sitting Mbeng after he picked up his fourth returned similar results.

At those critical junctures, Cornell cranked up the defensive pressure and pulled away down the stretch. Both Penn and Yale struggled with the pressure, committing turnovers that hampered their offensive continuity, and neither team was able to get critical stops when they really needed them.

Cornell's depth was more productive than that of either opponent.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 01-14-23 11:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
01-14-23 02:23 PM - Post#349506    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

What do you guys think the issue is with your team? They played so well OOC. Think you will still make the tourney. Anyway, just beat Princeton twice. And Harvard again.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

01-14-23 03:36 PM - Post#349518    
    In response to OldBig5

My guess is that it's a combination of factors. For one, Yale has exactly two players who play significant minutes that are at all shooters - Poulakidas and Mahoney - and one of them is still getting used to the collegiate pace of play. I think teams in the noncon didn't have enough tape or enough history with Yale to know this, so they played defense more or less straight up, and the two shooters were able to get hot with open shots. In league, Yale's opponents have started doubling Knowling aggressively the second he catches it in the post and leaving nonshooters like Mbeng and Jarvis and Kelly to do it. Yale isn't able to get offense easily, and nobody has really emerged as That Guy who can get a bucket when the team really needs it. Azar Swain was a historically good shotmaker, and that papered over a lot of Yale's issues from last year - remember how poor Yale looked in the noncon last year. Yale is shooting 23.5% from 3 in conference, and that's not a recipe for success no matter how talented you might be.

For another, this is a very inexperienced team. According to KenPom, Yale averages 0.9 years of D-1 experience, good for 338th in the country and 6th in league. Of course, this is a problem for the league as a whole due to the cancelled season, but Yale lost so so much of its offensive production in Gabbidon and Swain. I think they're struggling to figure out who should take over the scoring roles now that they're facing stiffer defense in-league.

It's also probably a momentum thing. Young teams can be exceptionally prone to ruts, and it wouldn't surprise me if having a single rusty game against Columbia sort of snowballed.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Cornell
01-14-23 05:28 PM - Post#349564    
    In response to iogyhufi

• iogyhufi Said:
Azar Swain was a historically good shotmaker, and that papered over a lot of Yale's issues from last year

I think that's the biggest one. Swain was that go-to scorer who could basically create something out of nothing.

That's how you guys beat us last year in the title game. Tosan was the best overall player in the league... but Swain was more clutch when both teams needed buckets at the end. Today, we got snake-bit by another great go-to scorer in Kino Lilly.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
01-14-23 07:48 PM - Post#349572    
    In response to gokinsmen

If Yale plays like they did yesterday they'll make the tournament and be a tough out there -- I thought they looked great overall, nobody is winning in Ithaca when Cornell goes 13-27 from three and gets some good whistles. Dumping the two easy openers just made the path a lot harder, because now they're in games where they can play well and still lose.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Cornell
01-14-23 09:26 PM - Post#349583    
    In response to whitakk

Fair's fair, but I'm still concerned. Cornell is an especially poor defensive team in the half court, especially when they can't force turnovers. Yale did generally execute well, to be sure, but I'll feel more comfortable about their prospects if they can convert consistently against a Brown or a Harvard type.

The reffing part I can't argue with - Nazir Williams got a very Bryce Aiken whistle in the second half.

Edited by iogyhufi on 01-14-23 09:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-14-23 09:51 PM - Post#349586    
    In response to iogyhufi

When Yale was running its offense well, the passing and cutting were very effective against Cornell's sort-of-sound gambling defense. But during the run, Cornell got some steals on those gambles and Yale seemed to lose its confidence in running its stuff.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.398 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:41 PM