Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Pearce is Freshman of week        (Topic#26922)
LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
01-23-23 06:13 PM - Post#350083    

Second time he wins that honor. A little early
to think about individual honors, but if the awards were
given now, Princeton has legitimate claims to Player,
Freshman and Coach of he Year.
They are an easy team to watch and support.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-24-23 12:09 AM - Post#350129    
    In response to LocalTiger

We’d best not count our chickens ….

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
01-24-23 11:52 AM - Post#350148    
    In response to Tiger69

In a press scrum following the Dartmouth game Mitch said he did not believe any other freshman player started every game. And this kid gets better every night. His rebounding skill is uncanny, he is the men's team Ellie Mitchell. Even Myles Stephens did not start until the middle of his sophomore year and he was a pretty goid rebounder, too.
Tosan was more effective last year because of his historic assist total, but he remains the bell cow. A lot of POY competition.
If the team wins the title Mitch should be a strong candidate for COY.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Pearce is Freshman of week
01-24-23 01:25 PM - Post#350153    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

I predict another year with different winners of the 14 game League Championship and the 2 game tournament. That should make the real 14 game Champ justifiably furious, whoever that might be. Going forward, the future Champ should get the NCAA BID and the tourney winner should get the consolation NIT bid. If the same team wins both, let the NCAA decide if we get multiple bids like the Power 5 Conferences.

Edited by Tiger69 on 01-24-23 01:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

01-24-23 01:38 PM - Post#350154    
    In response to Tiger69

Jones was interviewed on ESPNU radio this morning.
Not quite locker room Board material, but very confident
Yale should win the League. Early sloppiness means
no room for error, but OOC and recent history makes
them team to beat.
Saturday means more to them than us -- standings and we are away-- but we need to show up with some swagger.
We want to. win the regular season and the Tournament,
and Saturday is a message game.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
Re: Pearce is Freshman of week
01-24-23 02:11 PM - Post#350157    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
That should make the real 14 game Champ justifiably furious, whoever that might be. Going forward, the future Champ should get the NCAA BID and the tourney winner should get the consolation NIT bid. If the same team wins both, let the NCAA decide if we get multiple bids like the Power 5 Conferences.

We've gone through this before.

1) Why would the regular season champ be "furious" about not going to the NCAA if they don't win the conference tournament? It happens several times a year every year. Everyone knows the rules.

2) What's in it for the NIT to agree to take a school that they don't want? They need to sell tickets. The NCAA probably doesn't give a **** if a one-bid conference sends its regular season champ or its 7th place team. Both will be underdogs in the first round anyway... Worst case scenario, the 7th place team goes to the play-in game and has a chance to win a game when everyone's watching.

Edited by Go Green on 01-24-23 02:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-24-23 03:47 PM - Post#350162    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
We've gone through this before.

Yes, yes we have. Yet that doesn't seem to stop, or even slow, your roll.

It's the old "If I didn't convince people the first 100 times I said it, I guess I need to say it again" theory that still is looking for empirical evidence.

Go Green 
PhD Student

01-24-23 04:17 PM - Post#350163    
    In response to sparman

How's this:

The tournament is here to stay. It's normal. Everyone is playing by the same rules. It's basketball as we know it.

Being "furious" that the regular season champ won't go to the NCAA if they lose the conference tournament is like being "furious" that your team lost a game on a three-point shot because the three-point line didn't exist in your day.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

01-24-23 04:40 PM - Post#350164    

In the Henderson years Jones has a better record against the Tigers than any other coach. And he is usually a little chippy about it. He had very little to say about the Tigers in the post tourney press conf after first Ivy Madness, and that team was 16-0. No one on the Princeton side was surprised.
This is a big game but it is only the first of a potential 3 matchups.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

01-24-23 05:11 PM - Post#350166    

I agree with all of that. My concern is that Princeton
plays with less confidence against Yale than the other Ivies,
This team is still finding itself. Three freshman are big
contributors. They don't need to win, but they need
to play with confidence and poise. If that happens, their talent
should carry the day.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-24-23 08:57 PM - Post#350172    

The tournament is stupid, unlike the three-point line, and would be easily reversible, also unlike the three-point line.

It is has made the season notably worse, with excessive attention focused on the battle for mediocrity (4th place).

It reduced the League's desirable differentiation and "old-school" flair in favor of mimicking the bottom-feeding low majors.

It has failed to deliver big crowds and a great atmosphere as was promised, and not holding it on the higher seed's home floor is ridiculous, as is the shoehorning of the women's and men's events together to the detriment of both.

Of course players and coaches will say they like it, but unfortunately for reasons extraneous to the long-term health and well-being of the league. Even something like second-place and third-place have a playoff game to take on the first-place team (which gets a bye) would be better than the current format.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

01-24-23 10:10 PM - Post#350173    
    In response to SRP

Please get off your soapbox. You don't like the tournament, but it's over. We are tired of this.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-24-23 11:25 PM - Post#350178    

Sorry TT. I’m not getting over it. Bad decisions can be reversed. Not much chance of the following happening anytime soon. But, let’s say Dartmouth somehow wins the League Championship and then loses the silly 2 game tourney. How do you think our friend Go Green will react to an NIT spot? So far, we are the only school that got screwed out a trip to the real Tournament (NCAA). Let’s see how others feel when it happens to their team … especially when the silly tourney is played on a hostile court.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-24-23 11:32 PM - Post#350180    
    In response to Go Green

GG. You can have you f-ing 2 game tournament. Just give it the prize it deserves … the NIT. The tourney is a consolation event and therefore deserves the consolation prize. The Real Champ is the one who won over the season, not over a weekend, and therefore deserves the real prize: a trip to face the best.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-24-23 11:36 PM - Post#350181    
    In response to Tiger69

Caden Pierce (Spell check for the old school alums) is the Frosh of the week. Congrats.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-24-23 11:51 PM - Post#350182    
    In response to sparman

Sparman: we are fellow Tigers and I nearly always respect your informed posts. But, simply because the decision, very BAD imho, was made to give the tourney winner the NCAA bid does not mean that it cannot be reversed. Last year Princeton WON the Ivy Basketball Championship. Yet we lost a subsequent tourney game by a basket to yale effectively undoing our achievement of winning the season Championship and therefore were “awarded” an NIT bid. In the NIT The team played as if it didn’t care and neither did I. Meanwhile, yale, a season also ran, embarrassed the Ivies by losing their NCAA game in which they were clearly overmatched.

Go Green 
PhD Student

01-25-23 06:21 AM - Post#350184    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Sorry TT. I’m not getting over it. Bad decisions can be reversed. Not much chance of the following happening anytime soon. But, let’s say Dartmouth somehow wins the League Championship and then loses the silly 2 game tourney. How do you think our friend Go Green will react to an NIT spot? So far, we are the only school that got screwed out a trip to the real Tournament (NCAA). Let’s see how others feel when it happens to their team … especially when the silly tourney is played on a hostile court.

Again, non-#1 seeds win their conference tournaments every year. Occasionally, they make a big run in the NCAA. Florida Gulf Coast and St. Peter's come to mind. Numerous others either played competitively or even won games (Bucknell, Holy Cross). If it were up to you, none of that would have happened.

If Princeton didn't take the NIT seriously last season, that's their own fault. They took the NIT seriously in 1999 and it looked like everyone had a lot of fun. I even went to the game against Xavier and sat next to a then-Princeton student who said that he had hitchhiked from NJ to Cincinnati to watch the game. Princeton played well, but eventually fell to a physically superior Xavier team.

And yes, I assure you that improvements to the game such as the three-point line and the shot clock can indeed be reversed. They won't be because they made the game better. Ditto for conference tournaments. They're fun. I'm sorry that they aren't your cup of tea. But you look like such an old foogy by continuing to oppose them.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Pearce is Freshman of week
01-25-23 06:29 AM - Post#350185    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:

As I have said several times in the past, I'd be fine with going to the NIT if Dartmouth won the regular season and lost the conference tournament. I think the NIT is fun. Princeton men had a great NIT run in 1999. Columbia women had a great WNIT run last season.

Why you continue to treat the NIT as some sort of disgrace is a mystery to me. If you didn't watch Princeton in 1999 or Columbia last season, you missed something.

Edited by Go Green on 01-25-23 06:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-25-23 09:43 AM - Post#350186    
    In response to Tiger69

T69, you were not the intended subject of my post. I should have been clearer.

As I think is well known, I am not in "the tournament is a good thing" camp, but I don’t see it being changed so I try to limit my comments to the occasional snarky joke at the tournament's expense when the opportunity presents itself.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

01-25-23 11:28 AM - Post#350188    
    In response to sparman

What some call a "bad decision" and a "stupid idea" were approved overwhelmingly by the players, the coaches and the athletic administrators. Full disclosure, every time I offered an opinion before the tournament was approved I was against it. I have since experienced a change of heart. Lots of excitement in a setting in which the #1 seed can be defeated. If the regular season title winner goes to the big dance the rationale for the ILT disappears.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.504 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:30 AM