Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Pearce is Freshman of week        (Topic#26922)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-25-23 12:09 PM - Post#350191    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

GG: Please read my comments carefully. I AM NOT AGAINST THE D@MN TOURNEY, OR ANY OF THE OTHER GROWING NUMBER OF POST SEASON TOURNAMENTS IF THE TEAMS ARE OFFERED BIDS AND THE PLAYERS WISH TO PLAY!!! I SIMPLY BELIEVE STRONGLY THAT THE ACKNOWLEDGED 14 GAME LEAGUE CHAMPION (PLAYOFF IF TIE(S)) DESERVES THE NCAA BID.
Enough for this season. But I’ll be back again next year and will always be rooting for the tourney 4 seed (unless my Tigers are #1) until enough others have felt the sting of playing an entire season to win the Championship, only to be relegated to a half butt post season tournament

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-25-23 12:57 PM - Post#350197    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
GG: Please read my comments carefully. I AM NOT AGAINST THE D@MN TOURNEY, OR ANY OF THE OTHER GROWING NUMBER OF POST SEASON TOURNAMENTS IF THE TEAMS ARE OFFERED BIDS AND THE PLAYERS WISH TO PLAY!!! I SIMPLY BELIEVE STRONGLY THAT THE ACKNOWLEDGED 14 GAME LEAGUE CHAMPION (PLAYOFF IF TIE(S)) DESERVES THE NCAA BID.
Enough for this season. But I’ll be back again next year and will always be rooting for the tourney 4 seed (unless my Tigers are #1) until enough others have felt the sting of playing an entire season to win the Championship, only to be relegated to a half butt post season tournament

Given that there is no point of a tournament if the winner isn't going to go to the NCAA, it's hard to read your sentiments as being congruent with each other.

But if Henry Fonda can convince 11 of his fellow jurors to vote "not guilty," I'm sure you can easily convince the rest of the world why the tournament champion should go to the NIT.

Best of luck.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-25-23 01:52 PM - Post#350198    
    In response to Tiger69

It is interesting—I also root for the #4 seed all things being equal. However, that is part of why I like the tournament. I like seeing upsets. It’s why the first couple rounds of the NCAA tournament is my favorite few days in the sports season. I’m always going to root for the underdog unless my team is playing.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-25-23 05:32 PM - Post#350201    
    In response to Go Green

Twelve Angry Men? Great flick!

Proposed prize for tourney winners if they don’t want the NIT as a consolation prize: free pizza for a year?

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
01-25-23 08:00 PM - Post#350202    
    In response to Tiger69

The value and fairness of a post season tournament to determine who goes to the NCAAs has been discussed on these boards ad nauseum for years. It is also not unique to the Ivy League nor is it a recent happening. Nor has it just been argued back and forth between fans. Many of you may already know this, if so forgive me for rehashing yesterday's news. BTW, how did a thread about Caden Pearce being ROW transform into ILT talk again?

Anyway, believe it or not but a school actually left a high-profile conference once over disagreements like what has been debated here. Way back when, the ACC was but a handful of conferences to hold a post season tournament to determine their conference representative in the dance. And yes, EVERYONE was a one bid conference then. In the late 60s and early 70s South Carolina had some really good teams. Often ranked in the top 5. Yet they were upset in the ACC tournament every year. They were PO'd that numerous independents received at large bids while they had to stay home despite having inarguably better teams. It led to the gamecocks withdrawing from the ACC thinking they were a lock to get into the tournament as an at large. What they apparently didn't realize was that they were good because of the quality of the recruits, many of whom were from the Long Island area, they attracted because they wanted to play in the ACC. With their withdrawal, that pipeline dried up rapidly.

Obviously, once the NCAA field was expanded and all power conferences received multiple bids, and money began to dictate almost everything, all of this became a moot point. I realize there were other factors involved in South Carolina's withdrawal, but basketball was a large part.

My point is Ivy basketball fans are not the only, or the first group, to be upset with the regular season champion not going to the tournament if they lost in the post season tournament. For what it's worth, I'm not crazy about the ILT and as a Princeton fan, no I don't think the Tigers got screwed last year. Everyone knows going in how it works. Bellyaching after you lose is about as lame as it gets. If the Tiger women don't win the regular season title this year, I'm not going to take a deep breath and say, thank God for the ILT. For all but the regular season champ, the ILT is a mulligan and I've never liked mulligans. Even when I played golf.

I wonder what the power conferences would be doing if everybody was still a one bid league? Hmmmmm.....

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-25-23 11:21 PM - Post#350217    
    In response to SecS3

I remember when the Pac-10 or 12 didn't have a tournament (up through 1985-86, then adopted one, then dropped it in 1990 because it was a terrible idea, and didn't go back to having one until 2002. It struggled with attendance and went through multiple formats for quite a while. Probably they would be better off without a tourney as well, though for very different reasons from the Ivy League.

As for ToothlessTiger's "up with people" attitude toward the status quo, I'm sorry if something that has proven not to be what it was promised to be hasn't achieved universal acclaim. It will continue to be an own goal as long as the current circumstances of college basketball persist.

The only good part of it is that with the new sparse schedule in the regular season, it feels like the teams don't get in enough games to fully develop (even if they are playing as many as before), so a couple of extra games at the end is welcome for that reason at least.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-26-23 08:42 AM - Post#350221    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Twelve Angry Men? Great flick!

Proposed prize for tourney winners if they don’t want the NIT as a consolation prize: free pizza for a year?

Just in case you haven't seen the movie in a while, Fonda's arguments became more and more convincing as he went on.

You're going in the opposite direction by suggesting that the conference champion can turn down the NIT and get free pizza instead.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
Pearce is Freshman of week
01-26-23 09:24 AM - Post#350223    
    In response to Go Green

OT, but it is frequently pointed out (by actual lawyers and judges, like Justice Sotomayor) that most of Juror #8's (Fonda) arguments are completely outside what is allowed in such a setting and thus totally unrealistic. In other words, like many arguments advanced in favor of the ILT, fabulous fiction.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
01-27-23 02:56 PM - Post#350306    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

During my time on campus in the early 80s, I distinctly recall some letters to the Prince and/or PAW claiming that co-education was still "an experiment", as though the decision to let woman defile the campus by their mere presence would be reversed. (Having married an alumna, I found that thinking especially galling!)

I was long in favor of the 14-game tournament, but the ILT is here, and it's here to stay. If you want to press for change, focus on modifying that format to one that gives more meaning to the regular season. Example: Stretch the tourney to 3 days and do 1 of the following

If you keep the tournament at 4 teams, have 4 play 3 on Friday, winner vs 2 Saturday, winner vs 1 Sunday.

Or if willing to expand to 5 teams, play 5-2 and 4-3 Friday, winners meet Saturday, winner vs. 1 Sunday.

Note for those focused on wanting to require being in the Top 4 to get in: I hear you. But the Men's Lacrosse tournament takes 4 of 7 teams (57%). Taking 5 of 8 (62.5%) wouldn't be that far off from the standard established by Lacrosse before the hoops tournament was created.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

01-27-23 08:38 PM - Post#350322    
    In response to Tiger84

Put all 8 in, play the first game at the higher seed, final 4 at a neutral site.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
02-13-23 03:01 PM - Post#351547    
    In response to Old Bear

He wins again. Surprising this week,
but not as much as Tosan not making the honor roll.
This is a very strange selection process.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Pearce is Freshman of week
02-13-23 08:12 PM - Post#351566    
    In response to LocalTiger

Pierce has been our second most valuable player this season thanks to his rebounding, defense and low TO rate. Can't wait to see what he can add scoring-wise in a post-Tosan world.

At 6'6", I'd like to see Caden develop a reliable midrange jumper. 3pt fake, couple dribbles, pull-up from 15 feet.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
Re: Pearce is Freshman of week
02-14-23 08:06 PM - Post#351618    
    In response to gokinsmen

MH will not ever have players routinely shooting mid-range jumpers. A ticket to the bench.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-15-23 07:25 AM - Post#351628    
    In response to SRP

He should spend the summer at the Steph Curry 3-ball camp. If only there were such a thing.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
02-15-23 09:55 PM - Post#351695    
    In response to SRP

They should. Kaitlyn Chen does it all the
time and is very effective.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.192 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:16 AM