Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown        (Topic#26934)
IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
01-27-23 10:10 PM - Post#350325    

The Bears and the Big Red played a couple of the League's most exciting games in 2021-22. Both were road wins decided by buzzer-beating putbacks.

It's a little hard to know what to expect from Brown in league games away from the Pizz. They have played only one conference road game, a one possession loss to Yale. Already with two home losses, the Bears could really use this W.

With Dan Friday's return, the Bears have kicked things up a notch. If Anya and Ndur are ready to go, they will combine with Anane to give Cornell's big men a hard time. A big game from Keno Lilly would also give the visitors a shot in the arm. People have groused about Brown's low FT%, but it does not seem to have directly cost them a game.

Cornell, as usual, will push the pace and use its long bench. If Brown is at full strength, they have enough depth to counter that strategy. This game should be close. A low score favors the Bears. A high score favors the Big Red.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

01-28-23 03:53 PM - Post#350346    
    In response to IvyBballFan

Brown up 35-33 at the half.

Cornell was 4-18 from 3pt land in the second half last week in Cambridge. They just added a 2-14 distance performance to that in today's first half.

Despite the absence of Anya, Ndur, and Friday, the Bears are right in this one. It looks as if it will go down to the last minute yet again.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

01-28-23 05:05 PM - Post#350357    

Cornell revs it up in the second half to wear down and outscore Brown 47-38, securing an 80-73 win and reaching 5-2 at the halfway point of the League season.

Swingman Chris Manon, starting in place of the injured Nazir Williams, led the way with a 23P/10R double-double.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-29-23 10:46 AM - Post#350462    

Watching the replay, it is good to see the guys win on a day where the threes weren't falling and were a key man down (I know Brown was missing key players too).

With Guy's 1-7 performance, he is now shooting 27 of 100 from behind the arc; I hope everyone here can do the math. That is literally the worst percentage on the team, unless you count Ryan Kiachian's 0 for 0 as lower. Ragland has also shot more threes than anyone on the team and by a wide margin versus everyone except Keller. Earl is pushing a lot of the right buttons and I know the system is meant to be loose and free, but Guy's green light has to turn off.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
01-30-23 09:35 AM - Post#350501    
    In response to mountainred

To me, shot selection has been the difference between a very good and a good Cornell team. I was willing to give Ragland the benefit of the doubt early in the season but that ship has sailed after 19 games. He is an efficient inside scorer but when he gets the ball at the top of the key on their secondary fast break he is shooting most of the time. With so many good 3-point shooters on the team he needs to get them shots and passing from the high post with his size and skills is a no-brainer.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
01-30-23 10:14 AM - Post#350504    
    In response to FlareScreen

I can understand Earl wanting the guys to feel free to shoot as part of this offense. The defense can't sleep on anyone. Some ill-advised shots will be a part of that and I can live with it when you have a top 25 offensive efficiency -- even if causes me to curse at my computer screen.

Ragland is the one exception. His bombs 3 seconds into the shot clock feel like turnovers considering how poor an outside shooter he is and how good the rest of the offense is. Last year he had a five game streak in the OOC season where he was 10-16. Otherwise, he is a consistent 27% shooter from out there. Thing is, otherwise he has some solid skills. He just needs to limit his thee point shooting to Isaiah Gray levels.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.361 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:39 AM