Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Harvard I        (Topic#26939)
Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Harvard I
01-29-23 06:15 AM - Post#350452    
    In response to PennFan10

Lots of odd results on the path to that 13 league ranking:

* The league’s best win right now is … Cornell, Dartmouth, and Columbia over Yale.

* The best non-conference win is Penn over #107 Temple.

* The league’s worst loss is by it’s KenPom leader, Yale, to its KenPom worst Columbia—but Columbia & Dartmouth may claim that ignominious honor if Incarnate Word drops from their current #343 behind the Lions #345.

* Thanks to St. Joe’s recent 3-game win streak and a close road loss in OT to GW raising them all the way to #197, league standings leader Princeton right now has more losses outside the top 200 (Navy, Delaware, Brown) than Penn (LaSalle, Dartmouth).

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-29-23 06:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Harvard I
01-29-23 07:10 AM - Post#350454    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Also: hadn’t paid attention to how the transfer portal as well as teams switching leagues has really wreaked havoc on some of last year’s quality mid-major conferences. Look at the tumbles of the MAAC and the CAA from the mid-teens to the mid-20s in KenPom—with the latter, for example, having just this year added the long-struggling HBUC programs NC A&T and Hampton from the MEAC.

Even the MVC has been diluted and fallen just behind the Ivies thanks to replacing last year’s #10 Loyola with Belmont, Murray State, and UIC (Although the Ramblers dropping off a cliff this year in their new league sure isn’t helping the A10.)

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-29-23 07:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
Re: Harvard I
01-29-23 09:34 AM - Post#350458    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I said it at the time and nobody here believed me and I'll say it again now: the cancellation of the 20-21 season did long term damage to Ivy League basketball as it relates to the teams' national viability.

Players missed a whole year of development and coaches are now saddled with explaining to recruits why their school's presidents treat their sports like they're D3. Add to that the changing landscape as it relates to transfers, NIL, and 5th year players, and expecting the Ivy programs to compete with other mid-majors as they did previous to 2020 seems foolhardy.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
01-29-23 09:37 AM - Post#350459    
    In response to PennFan10

Friggin ridiculous that with all the Ivy brainpower,the league cant figure out how to a balanced home and away schedule for fairness,players and fans. Especially with a no doubleheader header policy and women playing almost mirror image schedule.
This year lets just make it as hard as possble for a couple of non traditional tournament participants to get in..

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
01-29-23 09:50 AM - Post#350460    
    In response to mbaprof

Don't confuse the brainpower of Ivy students/faculty with the grinding mediocrity of their respective athletic departments. Stuffed with middle managers who create bureaucracy simply to justify their positions, athletic departments will always make the wrong decision given half a chance.

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
01-29-23 12:46 PM - Post#350471    
    In response to CM

Great win and great atmosphere. Looking forward to next weekend after a Birds win today

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-30-23 03:02 PM - Post#350513    
    In response to yoyo

Excellent win and glad to see the team bounce back at home after multiple rough losses. Next weekend is critical and I think you really have to sweep weekend to stay on track. Let's see what they can do.

Jordan Dingle is SO good, but finally got multiple players not named Clark to provide some scoring help. Only way we get anywhere rest of the season, that will have to become typical rather than a pleasant surprise.

I do have to wonder what is up with Clark though? Injured?

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-30-23 03:42 PM - Post#350518    
    In response to Mike Porter

I have wondered about this. Slajchert doesn’t appear to have the same burst, particularly without the ball, since the Brown game. Always looks like he is skating more than cutting hard as he comes around screens, etc. Everything looks better when you are making shots, and guys knowing where you are going makes a difference, too. But while I see differences in how he is defended with the ball, i don’t see any differences when he doesn’t have the ball, yet he seems slower trying to get free. Maybe he needs different cleats. He hasn’t looked the same to me since that incredibly impressive Brown game where he scored 30+ AND chased Lilly around screens for 40 minutes.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.565 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:14 PM