Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Halfway through the Ivy        (Topic#26954)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-31-23 12:09 AM - Post#350538    

Brown is on the outside looking in to the top four, and are just about where I thought they’d be. At 3-4, they’ve played like they’re in the middle of the pack. They haven’t played as well defensively but have probably put up better offense than in the regular season. Wojcik, Nana and Kino have all had great moments and have played very well. Nice to see Cooley find his d spots of late. Lewis has been a pleasant surprise. Cowan hasn’t turned into that 3 and koryu
D guy. But big injuries to Anya, Ndur and Friday, who just cannot seem to stay on the floor.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Halfway through the Ivy
01-31-23 08:10 PM - Post#350556    
    In response to Bruno

I’d rather not use injuries as an excuse, but I believe if Anya, Friday, and the Ndur were healthy, our record would be better. I hope we get Anya back before the season ends, and I hope we see some more Friday than we have. Ndur is gone for the season.

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
Halfway through the Ivy
02-01-23 12:20 AM - Post#350565    
    In response to Old Bear

At the beginning of conference play, I figured that this was a bridge year and was hoping for the young guys to get good minutes and opportunities to develop. If we were able to knock off some of the top four teams, all the better. Thus far, we have shown we can hang with the league's best, but are just missing that one last boost to put us over the top.

As you've both alluded to, the obvious downer is the injury bug, which it feels like this team has largely avoided in recent years. I hope that Anya makes his return before the season's end - I could also see them keeping him out as they seemed to do with Nana last season, but I would think a finger injury is less of a risk than Nana's shoulder was.

The big news to me is that Nana and Kino look like the real deal - Kino has taken a major step up from last season and looks like a generational talent and Nana is already one of the better rebounders in the league. My biggest hope for the second half of the season is that their classmate Cooley will continue to grow - he's scored in double digits in three consecutive games. If this trio continues to develop and all goes well, I am optimistic about what this team can achieve during their junior and senior years.

Friday and Cowan were two guys that I was really excited about when they arrived on campus. Unfortunately, barring some bright flashes here and there, it has not gone as I would've hoped for them. Their two classmates, Watts and Kogelnik, are no longer in the program, but were part of a class that looked heavy on wing shooting and defense. That is exactly what we are missing right now from our bench. I love the energy that Kimo brings, but he and Cowan are shooting 25% and 26% respectively from the 3PT line. Cowan's shot baffles me - sometimes he has it and sometimes, like against Cornell when he shot 2/11 from three, he doesn't. Perhaps Lesburt and Erold aren't ready yet - I wouldn't mind seeing them get some more minutes as we get closer to the end of the season.

Regardless, this is a fun group of guys to watch. There is a lot of talent there and most of it, bar Wojcik, will be back next year, in addition to a freshman class that has some intriguing players in it. I look forward to watching them give it their all. Who knows, it's been a crazy Ivy League season thus far, there may be some more twists and turns for this team yet.

Edited by Ever True on 02-01-23 12:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.205 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:08 AM