Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia women        (Topic#26979)
ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-05-23 01:01 PM - Post#350929    

Tigers put on a show in front of the largest crowd in Columbia women's history. While this was another defensive tour de force, it was the Tiger offense that was the difference yesterday. At Jadwin Columbia managed only 53 in regulation, about 30 less than their average. Tigers only scored 53, too.
Since Madison St. Rose found her game the offense has produced very well. I think she deserves Freshman POY, especially if she continues her present pace. She is doing now what Chen was doing last year as Abby Meyers' running mate. And you can't overstate the significance of the rebounding of Ellie Mitchell. She reminds me of Bella controlling the glass.
Could be a two bid year if the Tigers win the tournament.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-23 01:14 PM - Post#350931    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

MStR was the difference in the two games. That extra offense kept us out front.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
Re: Columbia women
02-05-23 01:26 PM - Post#350933    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

With regard to the NCAA bids, as of Feb. 3 ESPN's Bracketology places Columbia as the Ivy AQ with a #11 seed, and Princeton "on the bubble" as one of the "First Four Out," along with Mississippi State, Bowling Green, and Seton Hall (whom we beat). That's likely to change after the Tigers' win yesterday, but if both Columbia and Princeton win out and fulfill Coach Griffith's prophecy that "I have no doubt that we'll see them again and I'm really looking forward to it," there should be a good case to be made for the two bids.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-05-23 02:08 PM - Post#350938    
    In response to Albert08

We are on the same page.

And I agree about the impact of Mitchell's rebounding and having a second offensi e threat. Question is what Griffith will do to adjust to that developmemt.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-05-23 02:39 PM - Post#350945    
    In response to sparman

Another new development as the season has progressed is Ellie Mitchell's increased assertiveness on the offensive end. She has developed some post moves so the opposing defense can't just play her to pass. And now Madison St. Rose also needs to be factored into defensive game-planning, which means the Tigers can score in many different ways. I think this particularly helps Julia Cunningham, who finds ways to score or facilitate when defenses over-rotate but is less adept at creating her own shot.

Against Columbia the ball movement was fast, the Tigers constantly were on the attack, and the scoring for the starters was 9, 13, 14, 15 and 16 points. Lock-down defense plus a balanced offense is a tough combination to beat.

PeteD 
Masters Student
PeteD
Loc: California
Reg: 03-13-07
02-05-23 06:00 PM - Post#350966    
    In response to Albert08

• Albert08 Said:
With regard to the NCAA bids, as of Feb. 3 ESPN's Bracketology places Columbia as the Ivy AQ with a #11 seed, and Princeton "on the bubble" as one of the "First Four Out," along with Mississippi State, Bowling Green, and Seton Hall (whom we beat). That's likely to change after the Tigers' win yesterday, but if both Columbia and Princeton win out and fulfill Coach Griffith's prophecy that "I have no doubt that we'll see them again and I'm really looking forward to it," there should be a good case to be made for the two bids.

The only path to two bids imo is if both Columbia and Princeton run the table, meet in the title game, and play a close one like the first game at Jadwin. If either team loses to Harvard (or gets a scare from anyone else), it's going to be winner-take-all on March 11.

It'll be interesting to read what ESPN bracketology says about the bubble teams this week.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-05-23 07:38 PM - Post#350975    
    In response to PeteD

My observation is based on P and C both winning out, P winning the tourney. C has a strong tourney resume IMO. If C wins out and H wins the tourney the 2 bid scenario is still in play.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.628 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:32 AM