Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn        (Topic#26982)
FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
02-05-23 09:54 PM - Post#350995    

My 2 cents…
Was not a must-win but one that Cornell really needed to get a split for the weekend.
Cornell got outrebounded 48-37 and lost more than their share of 50/50 balls.
Cornell has some guys who struggle on the defensive and rebounding the ball. Gray was the leading rebounder with 6 followed by 5 for Filien and Dolan.

Coaching, I like playing multiple guys but when it comes down to crunch time you need your 5 best players on the court. Penn played 5 guys for 29+ minutes and Cornell played 1 player (Dolan) for 29 minutes. With all the time-outs at the end of the game and the 4-minute media time out the 5 best are rested.

Cornell misses Williams, hope he will return at some point this season. Manon is a very good 6th man in the league but not sure that starting him really gets the most out of him, although he had a very good game vs Princeton.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Penn
02-05-23 11:31 PM - Post#351014    
    In response to FlareScreen

I guess the obvious question is: who is your best 5? Particularly if Manon isn’t among them and Williams is unavailable. One of the advantages of the way Earl plays so many guys is that you can decide who your best 5 are for that night at the end.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
02-06-23 09:45 PM - Post#351081    
    In response to SomeGuy

I agree with you and Earl’s style of play and sticking with the hot hand and usually Manon is one of them. In this game, Dolan had the hottest hand in the Palestra and scored about 1/3 of Cornell’s points. He came out just before the 4-minute media time-out. IMO, he should have been back in when play resumed, but didn’t return until there were under 3 minutes to go. It may seem trivial, but at that point, it is a 4-minute game, and keeping him out for that minute or so might have made a difference, or maybe not, but he has got to be on the court. That being said, Penn played well and deserved the win.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
02-07-23 01:23 PM - Post#351112    

My guess is that Earl wasn't anticipating the under TO to come at exactly 4:00, after a break at 4:06 and was hoping to get Dolan a bit longer of a rest and brought him back in at 2:42. Maybe that lost minute of PT makes a difference, but I doubt that gets us the 6 points we needed.

I do agree with you that Penn played well and deserved the win.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
02-07-23 05:56 PM - Post#351126    

• FlareScreen Said:
My 2 cents…
Cornell misses Williams, hope he will return at some point. Manon is a very good 6th man in the league but not sure that starting him really gets the most out of him, although he had a very good game vs Princeton.

Against Brown a week ago, Chris Manon also had a double-double while starting in place of Nazir Williams. Chris sparked the second half run that gave the Big Red the lead for good.

The Big Red has really missed Nazir Williams the past three games. He's #2 in both points and assists right behind Greg Dolan. Cornell could use him big time Saturday.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.213 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:04 AM