Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Penn Senior Day        (Topic#27062)
penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-25-23 08:56 PM - Post#352549    
    In response to Old Bear

Beck's 25.9 is the record for season average. Dingle is currently second at 23.4.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-25-23 10:24 PM - Post#352556    
    In response to Quakers03

I can see certain matchups where it makes sense to offense/defense, but in this case Jordan is guarding Myrthil or Johnson. Do we really get that much more defensive bang for our buck with Smith in there? Maybe we are worried about the doubling and switching?

This is the first time I have noticed it in the end game. We do it earlier in games, which is fine. But late Jordan is usually in there on both ends, I think. Do you recall seeing it at the end of any other games? Maybe the difference was that Slajchert was doing so well on Cornish that Steve wanted to keep him out there. I think the offense/defense at the end is usually Clark/Smith.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
02-27-23 06:12 PM - Post#352698    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I can see certain matchups where it makes sense to offense/defense, but in this case Jordan is guarding Myrthil or Johnson. Do we really get that much more defensive bang for our buck with Smith in there? Maybe we are worried about the doubling and switching?

This is the first time I have noticed it in the end game. We do it earlier in games, which is fine. But late Jordan is usually in there on both ends, I think. Do you recall seeing it at the end of any other games? Maybe the difference was that Slajchert was doing so well on Cornish that Steve wanted to keep him out there. I think the offense/defense at the end is usually Clark/Smith.

Do you think maybe it's just to give him a breather since he has to work so hard on offense? Also coaches like to stick with those sub modes they have even when it matters not for a particular game.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Penn Senior Day
02-27-23 06:25 PM - Post#352700    
    In response to OldBig5

I was thinking the same thing... wondering if this is just load management to make sure he is a little rested for where we need him most on offense (and wanting him to have legs for FTs down the stretch).

In general, Dartmouth gave our defense fits (so hopefully that is just a matchup thing), but this one was never truly in doubt based on the contributions across the team on offense which was nice to see (and until recently hasn't always been the norm). Was really happy to see the seniors get the win at home, especially a pivotal one like this.

It does seem like when Coach Donahue committed to Lucas Monroe more down the stretch these last 8 games, we have been rewarded. Didn't feel like coaching staff was fully sold earlier in the season when his minutes really ebbed and flowed (beginning of Ivys when we struggled his minutes were all over the place but earlier in season as well).

Up next is where the rubber meets the road. Here's to hoping we can overcome the Princeton hurdle of the last 5 years.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Penn Senior Day
02-27-23 07:24 PM - Post#352702    
    In response to Mike Porter

Monroe is now a 80+% FT shooter and has developed bully-ball moves. He has always been a good ball handler and defender. That all makes him a must-play at the end of games.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-27-23 07:47 PM - Post#352705    
    In response to OldBig5

Yes, it’s totally load management. Dingle’s had a good year defensively. But they do offense/defense a lot to get him breaks. What was unusual to me (and irked Q3) was doing it at the end of the game.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:39 PM