Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Username Post: Possible Candidates for Bison Head Coach        (Topic#27083)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-01-23 12:41 AM - Post#352762    

Like many Bison fans, I hope that a change is coming in the very near future. Anticipating what seems to be an easy decision for Jermaine Truax, here is a list I created last year. I haven't updated the bios yet for 2023 info, except for the six new names at the bottom part. Everyone else on the list is still at the same place and has had continued success.

D3 COACHES (Bio info from last year):
- Kevin App – in his 8th season as HC at Williams. Overall record there of 122-55. was assistant at Army under Zach Spiker prior to that, following assistant jobs at Cornell and Williams (under Mike Maker). Played for Cornell, graduating in 2007. Age 37.
- Josh Loeffler – in his 5th season as HC at Johns Hopkins. Overall record of 75-19. Coached Jesse Flannery. Was assistant at Loyola (MD) for four years before that, which followed assistant jobs at Rutgers (DOBO), Lafayette (4 yrs), and Williams (under DP) – plus two years as HC at Stevens. Played for Swarthmore, graduating in 2003. Age 41.
- Landry Kosmalski – In his 10th season as HC at Swarthmore. Overall record there of 164-75, including 137-26 in last six years. Swarthmore was 25-99 in the five seasons before he took over. Was a five-year assistant at Davidson over two tenures plus coached overseas. Played for Davidson, graduating in 2004. Age 43.
- Josh Merkel – Nathan Davis’ successor at Randolph-Macon, now in his 7th season. Was also HC at Salisbury before that. After going 13-14 in his first season at RMC, was 100-23 thereafter. Was 33-1 and won 2022 national D3 championship. Prior to his HC jobs, he assisted four years at Eastern Kentucky (Jeff Neubauer) and one at RMC (ND). Played for Salisbury, graduating in 2001. Age 43
- Matt Logie – In his 3rd season at D3 Point Loma in San Diego. Has 40-16 record, after going 174-35 in eight years at D3 Whitworth University. Got to five straight NCAA Regionals at Whitworth. Not sure if he and his wife have any interest in leaving the West Coast. Was a Lehigh assistant and Associate Head Coach for six years plus a year as DOBO. Played for Lehigh, scoring 1524 points, and graduated in 2003. Age 41.
- Kevin Bettencourt – In his 8th season at Endicott in Massachusetts. Previously was assistant at Bentley for six years and Salem State for one year. Overall record at D3 Endicott of 133-55. Age 38.
- Antoni Wyche – In his first season as Notre Dame assistant. Was assistant at Siena for two years and at Lehigh for ten. Played for Notre Dame, graduating in 1999. From the Albany area. Age 44.

ASSISTANT COACHES (Bio info from last year):
- John Griffin – Associate HC at St. Joes. Previously was Assistant at Rider, Bucknell, and St. Joes. Previously worked for Indiana Pacers. Bucknell grad in 2007. Energetic and really connected with the fans during Bucknell tenure. Age 36.
- Jamal Brunt – Associate Head Coach at VCU. Previously was assistant and Associate Head Coach at Richmond for eight years, assistant at Miami for three years, and is in his fourth year as VCU assistant. Started his coaching career for two years as assistant at Randolph-Macon, which is his alma mater. Age 41.
- Nat Graham – Associate Head Coach at Penn. In his 8th year at Penn. Previously was assistant for four years at Boston College and five years at Cornell. Also coached in Canada for two years. Graduated from Penn in 1997. Age 47.
- Duane Simpkins – Has been assistant at GMU for past seven years. Prior to that, was assistant at UNCG for three years. Played overseas for a number of years after graduating from Maryland. Age 47.

OTHERS (Bio info from last year):
- Mark Prosser – In his first year as HC at Winthrop, after three years as HC at Western Carolina. Although Bucknell should be a better job than Winthrop, I don’t think he would be interested at this point. Age 42.
- Dave Paulsen – Fordham Assistant. Unlikely to get offered anything higher than a mid-major if he still is interested in coaching. Rumored to have interviewed for Fordham and Lafayette jobs this past spring. Can he recruit without Dane Fischer and Aaron Kelly? Age 57.

NEW ADDITIONS (with info through Feb. 2023):
- Jamion Christian – was fired by GWU in 2022 after three unsuccessful seasons. Prior to that he did well in one year at Siena and six years at Mt. St. Mary’s. Started coaching career as two-year DOBO under Flannery at Bucknell. Was assistant at W&M and VCU. Friend of Nathan Davis. Age 40.
- Bill Courtney – current Associate Head Coach at Miami. Was relatively unsuccessful as HC for six years at Cornell. Has also been assistant at at American (1995-96), Bowling Green (1996-97), George Mason (1997-2005), Providence (2005-06), Virginia (2006-09), Virginia Tech (2009-10) and DePaul (2017-19). Doubtful he would be interested in the Bucknell job. Age 54.
- Dane Fischer – Current HC at W&M. long-time assistant under Paulsen at Bucknell and GMU. Also an assistant at Rider. Has been HC at W&M for past four years with mediocre results, so job could be in jeopardy. Known as a great recruiter at Bucknell. Age 43.
- Aaron Kelly – HC at Catholic University. Assistant to Paulsen at Williams, Bucknell and GMU. HC at his alma mater, Catholic U, for last four years. Inherited a mediocre program but has gone 39-11 the past two years. Age 39.
- John Krikorian - HC last 11 years at D3 Christopher Newport in Norfolk area. Overall record of 257-62. Succeeded CJ Woollum, Charlie's brother at CMU. Was an assistant at Penn (his alma mater), Lafayette, and Navy, also a HC at Merchant Marine Academy. age 49.
- John Gallagher - HC at Hartford for 12 years before leaving when Hartford abandoned D1. Former assistant at La Salle, Lafayette, and Penn. Played at St. Joes. Took over a bad program with little institutional support. Eventually got the program turned around and went 82-73 over his last five years. Was a well-regarded coach who was too loyal to Hartford. Age 45.

Comments? New additions?

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-01-23 07:37 AM - Post#352763    
    In response to Bison137

Quite a list. What about Carl Danzig at Scranton? May be too old at this point.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-01-23 09:50 AM - Post#352767    
    In response to MrPhillie

At this point I’d take Ted Lasso.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-01-23 11:04 AM - Post#352777    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Quite a list. What about Carl Danzig at Scranton? May be too old at this point.

Yeah, I probably should’ve included him. He is 58 years old FWIW.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
03-01-23 12:01 PM - Post#352779    
    In response to Bison137

Five of the last 6 Bucknell MBB hires have come from Division III. Given all the changes in Division I the last few years, I just don't see how they can go that route again. NIL and the transfer portal have changed all of the conversations. Even the schools not using them need to be versed in them to manage their own rosters.

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
03-01-23 04:45 PM - Post#352801    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Looks like One Herd Day is at the end of March. You'd think that Bucknell would want Davis gone before then, if they want any money from Basketball supporters.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-01-23 04:53 PM - Post#352804    
    In response to Maryland Bison

I was thinking that as well. I’m afraid that if a decision isn’t announced within a week, then no change is coming. Also makes sense to consider the changes in DI sports such as transfers and NIL. Recruiting is a different game. Keeping players is a different game. With this in mind, I’d prefer a DI assistant, with Griffin given strongest consideration.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-01-23 05:01 PM - Post#352809    
    In response to Maryland Bison

• Maryland Bison Said:
Looks like One Herd Day is at the end of March. You'd think that Bucknell would want Davis gone before then, if they want any money from Basketball supporters.

If he is still coaching, I will again donate to MBB. But it will be exactly $1.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-01-23 09:42 PM - Post#352832    
    In response to Bison137

Don't care as much for past record as ability to recruit. One or two solid players, a big and a point guard, could be foundation for great Patriot League team.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
03-01-23 10:01 PM - Post#352835    
    In response to HoleinOne

I have a feeling Mike Anderson St.Johns is going to be let go. If that's the case, we could snatch him up.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-01-23 10:32 PM - Post#352836    
    In response to Paulie777

I don’t think Davis will be sacked and he’s definitely lobbying to return because for $313,000 a year, it’s easy to sit with your arms crossed.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-01-23 11:17 PM - Post#352837    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
I don’t think Davis will be sacked and he’s definitely lobbying to return because for $313,000 a year, it’s easy to sit with your arms crossed.

If he is not sacked, then Jermaine Truax should be - - for gross malfeasance.

baudolino 
Masters Student
baudolino
Loc: The bubble
Reg: 10-24-07
03-02-23 05:48 PM - Post#352855    
    In response to Bison137

And there it is:

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2023/3/2/coachin g-c...

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-02-23 05:53 PM - Post#352858    
    In response to baudolino

Hallelujah. Nothing against Nathan the human but Nathan the coach simply could not continue to be HC at Bucknell. I look forward to a positive change and hope for a brighter future for men’s basketball. Renewal of season tickets is in our future.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-02-23 06:45 PM - Post#352866    
    In response to MrPhillie

Season Ticket sales will double unless Paul Harrison is [romoted

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-03-23 03:47 PM - Post#352957    
    In response to Bison54

137, thanks a lot for putting together that big list, which made for interesting reading, with names/situations I wasn't familiar with.

While Bucknell's practice has been to hire current head coaches, I could see Truax doing something different, because one particular assistant coach candidate brings so much to the table -- and that's John Griffin.

Griffin's resume starts with being on the court for Bucknell's greatest wins. He's the epitome of a fiery competitor, and will return visible passion and energy to the Bucknell sideline.

In addition to pursuing league championships, I think we can count on him to aggressively schedule major conference opponents hunting for upsets like the many he helped achieve as a player.

As others here have noted, Griffin also has a great personality and a knack for connecting with fans, which seems certain to be a key consideration in this hire.

Except for Paulsen, other candidates would be starting from scratch in that regard, while Griffin would come in with an established community rapport, to include familiarity with Bucknell's administration and processes.

On the recruiting front, Griffin has very deep ties across the great basketball city that is his native Philadelphia.

His stint as associate head coach at St Joe's has given him experience in elevating a troubled program. While that's still a work in progress, it has indeed been progress: From 6-26 (.188) in the first year to 5-15 (.250), 11-19 (.367) and now 14-16 (.467).

A Flannery disciple and friend, I imagine Griffin will also tout his access to Flannery's knowledge and experience as he sets out to rebuild the Bison program.

Finally, for those who are making the high-pressure hiring decision, Griffin has the benefit of being a pick guaranteed to be very popular among fans.

Given all that, I could see Truax varying from the "head-coach-only" pattern, but I'd think only for Griffin.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-03-23 03:50 PM - Post#352958    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I agree 100%. I hope you have written Jermaine Truax with all of those thoughts. As for DP, I think he would also be starting from scratch with the fans because he never really developed much rapport with them. That was left to Dane and Aaron.

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
03-03-23 04:41 PM - Post#352963    
    In response to Bison137

While I totally agree about John Griffin, I respectfully disagree re Dave Paulsen. He had a great rapport with local fans, alums, faculty, and administration. Never heard any negative comments about his personality from all the above. I rate DP and JG evenly in terms of likeability. Either would be an extremely popular hire.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Possible Candidates for Bison Head Coach
03-03-23 05:01 PM - Post#352965    
    In response to DrBison

Like DrBison, I also found Coach Paulsen to be very personable, and a funny guy too...most recently when we happened to cross paths outside the 2018 Final Four in San Antonio.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Possible Candidates for Bison Head Coach
03-03-23 05:34 PM - Post#352968    
    In response to DrBison

• DrBison Said:
While I totally agree about John Griffin, I respectfully disagree re Dave Paulsen. He had a great rapport with local fans, alums, faculty, and administration. Never heard any negative comments about his personality from all the above. I rate DP and JG evenly in terms of likeability. Either would be an extremely popular hire.

I know for a fact that some longtime Bison fans had complaints about DP, some of which went to John Hardt. The criticism was largely due to him never acknowledging the fans or thanking them, even when they went out of the way to support the team on the road. Much different from Flannery. However DP was a lot better in this regard than ND.

In any event, I think what Bucknell needs now - with the programs having descended into a black hole - is a coach with a lot of energy and passion. One who can sell recruits on a dynamic vision of how this program is going to quickly turn around. The landscape is a lot different now than when ND or DP or even PF got the job.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.718 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:40 AM