Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Is Colgate cheating while Bucknell sleeps ?        (Topic#27085)
candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
03-01-23 10:44 AM - Post#352772    

Note: this topic has been tossed around here in this blog. I just wanted to refocus on it now that we've finished last and go out of the playoffs in our first game. Some of this may be new information to you. Appreciate your comments, as always.

There's always so much talk about Nathan Davis, but he may not be the real problem that now has Bucknell finishing last in the Patriot League.
========================= ====================

Bucknell has a serious problem here, losing potential 5th year players due to most of the Patriot League using various techniques to keep an Andy Funk for another year! Just imagine the difference Andy Funk might have made on this year's sorry last place team?

How great is the gap? Colgate, yes, is allowing Tucker Richardson to play a 5th year, but that's ok, he's only the best player in the league by far!

It gets worse. Not only is he around to guarantee them a 1st place finish again, but the Athletic Dept. reports that he doesn't even go to class because somehow, though he's there, he's not enrolled in anything and does not attend class?

More?

Perhaps the best center in the league (it's not Andre Screen), Keegan Records, is ALSO on the team for a 5th year, not enrolled in anything and not attending class!

Talk about an unfair playing field?

Then here's the issue of TRANSFERS! Some of the teams Bucknell played this year had several transfers that indeed, transferred the standing of that team from an also-ran to competitive for a league championship!

Yes, we got Jack Forest, a great addition! BUT, where are the others? Right now, as the league bottom dweller for two years running, and losing the heart of the team (Xander Rice and Alex timmerman) for next year with questionable replacements (??), this team cannot afford to fall any further back.

American University, whom we were competitive with this year, returns all five starters who faced us yesterday. Looks like they're not stepping back.

Question: Will the powers that be whether Faculty, Administration, Athletic Dept etc. continue to allow this Mens Basketball Program to fester or will steps be taken to be competitive again and fill up the arena with fans on cold winter nights?

The hard fact is that this program pays for lotsa other sports programs at Bucknell, well, at least it used to do that. if you want the money folks, you gotta make way for some WINS!

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
Is Colgate cheating while Bucknell sleeps ?
03-01-23 12:20 PM - Post#352780    
    In response to candyfan

Colgate doesn't have the firepower to overcome a 2 or 3 seed in the March tournament. But this "edge" could give them advantage with points in a smart wager. And if they do advance in the tournament, you could possibly go to Vegas, bet on them, and step into T-Mobile areana and watch them live! So nearly everything in the NCAA athletics is goofy, swimmers notwithstanding. I hope they can stabilize and make things fun again. Not looking for "fair", looking for the underdog to have a level chance in a level game. But this is apples and oranges when compared to Bucknell's losing ways. And its nice to see a University similar to Bucknell with early Bucknell connections (Taylor, Bucknell) strive to survive in difficult times.

Edited by Paulie777 on 03-01-23 12:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-01-23 03:02 PM - Post#352790    
    In response to Paulie777

I would like to know the source of these reports. If he is not taking any courses, it would be a blatant violation of patriot league rules. I have heard it as a rumor but no one can give any documentation and no one can name a source who has first-hand knowledge.

I think it is more likely that he is taking some random courses, possibly online, that don’t lead to a degree. That would be a waste of a year academically and shouldn’t be allowed under league rules, but it is legal under the current bylaws.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-01-23 04:58 PM - Post#352807    
    In response to Bison137

Other schools do not have grad programs, such as Lafayette. Even if Bucknell had something, do we really think he would’ve wanted to play a fifth year at Bucknell?? Whether PSU makes the tourney or not, I feel certain Andrew enjoyed his one season at PSU more than his last several at Bucknell. I don’t get the feeling many players are wishing they could play another year for Davis in a losing environment.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-01-23 04:59 PM - Post#352808    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Other schools do not have grad programs, such as Lafayette. Even if Bucknell had something, do we really think he would’ve wanted to play a fifth year at Bucknell?? Whether PSU makes the tourney or not, I feel certain Andrew enjoyed his one season at PSU more than his last several at Bucknell. I don’t get the feeling many players are wishing they could play another year for Davis in a losing environment.

Agree 100%. There will be very few 5th years at Bucknell until there is a new coach and a masters program that students would have interest in, i.e. an MBA Program.

Steve 
Freshman

Reg: 08-12-09
Re: Is Colgate cheating while Bucknell sleeps ?
03-01-23 05:32 PM - Post#352814    
    In response to candyfan

--Keegan Records is in his fourth year, not fifth year. You can obviously do as you please but it'd be great if you don't spread false crap, smear his name and say he's not attending classes in a fifth year when he's clearly been here for 4.

--Tucker Richardson graduated in December with a degree in sociology. I am not sure why there's consternation about him playing a 5th year when it's clearly allowed after the COVID season granted him an extra season.

--When I was there (06-10), you needed 32 credits to graduate. The typical courseload was 4 classes a semester for 8 semesters to make 32 credits. But students have the option to take 3 courses minimum (or 5 max I believe). My logical conclusion is that Tucker didn't take a full 4 classes some semesters and had credits to make up this fall.

--I can't speak on NCAA rules in regards to basketball players who graduate in December and what they can do to stay eligible for the spring. It is possible that Tucker is staying eligible through the Masters of Teaching program at the school, the only non-undergrad program there is at Gate. But again, this isn't my forte and I'm not going to speak on it.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.465 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:15 AM