Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia        (Topic#27098)
IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
03-03-23 11:58 PM - Post#352987    

• palestra38 Said:
Cornell has lost 5 of their last 6, however. Just noting that it could happen if this represents a true tailspin rather than being weak on the road when most of their road games were 2nd half.

• SomeGuy Said:
Yes, I think Cornell is just the flip of Penn’s season. They just had all the tough road games late. 4 of the 5 losses are road losses to the top 4 teams in the league (besides Cornell). Obviously the home loss to Harvard is bad, but other than that, this is just the schedule making a good team look great in the first half and bad in the second.

I’ll be shocked if the Columbia game is close.

Big Red fans should hope the above assessments hold up.

I watched Cornell’s most fun game of the year in person in Miami. When this year’s version of the Red is on their game, no question they are hard to stop.

On the other hand, fans know that things can go South with this team. Cornell has played three horrid halves this season, two of them recently: @Syracuse (second); @Brown (first); and vs. Harvard (second). The Red cannot afford another one Saturday.

Worse yet, it is “that time” of year. Stuff’s happenin’… and, it’s not all good and predictable. Did everyone notice how Rutgers, seemingly in the NCAA tournament, coughed up a 10pt lead in Minneapolis to the 1-16 Gophers, in the last 1:15 of their Thursday night game? The Scarlet Knights are back on the NCAA bubble after that display. If something similar happens to the Big Red, Brown will get its first-ever berth in Ivy Madness without having to beat Yale.

In the second half of the league schedule, opponents seemed to figure out the part of Cornell’s offense that relies on backcuts off passes from a potential 3pt shooter. The passes have been getting stolen or at least kicked around in the lane much more often. No question that has hurt.

Hopefully, the Red has some answers for this Saturday and the gremlins don’t show up at Newman Arena.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
03-04-23 10:15 AM - Post#352993    
    In response to IvyBballFan

No doubt the schedule was set up for a good early run, and credit to the team for taking advantage. They've just stopped making threes, and that's a problem for a team that 1) shoots a ton of 3s; and 2) needs to outscore a problematic defense.

I think they have enough to beat Columbia at home, the Lions have just one road win on the season. I need to remember that 17 wins, assuming they beat the Lions, is a pretty good season in Ithaca.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-07-23 04:54 AM - Post#353338    
    In response to mountainred

Just FYI, Cornell’s win over Columbia feature on Bad Beats with Scott Van Pelt. Earl having his team tap the ball out of bounds with 14 seconds left to get seniors into the game led to Columbia scorings and beating the spread.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35802 613

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-07-23 02:16 PM - Post#353354    
    In response to SRP

Did he not start his seniors?

SRP 
Postdoc

03-07-23 10:20 PM - Post#353418    
    In response to palestra38

Dunno.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
03-08-23 09:03 AM - Post#353436    
    In response to SRP

Of course he started his 2 seniors but was trying to get them out of the final game for a final ovation.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-08-23 11:49 AM - Post#353469    
    In response to SRP

SVP is awesome.

That said, it's hard to feel sorry for all two schlubs who, for whatever reason, decided to put money on this one.

• SRP Said:
Just FYI, Cornell’s win over Columbia feature on Bad Beats with Scott Van Pelt. Earl having his team tap the ball out of bounds with 14 seconds left to get seniors into the game led to Columbia scorings and beating the spread.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35802 613

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
03-08-23 04:19 PM - Post#353483    
    In response to FlareScreen

It was Marcus Filien's first ever start, though he was a part of the regular rotation. Chuks Uzoka did not start or play, but he also never played a minute this season.

And seriously, who is betting on matinee Ivy hoops?

SRP 
Postdoc

03-08-23 07:05 PM - Post#353500    
    In response to mountainred

The whole shtick of Bad Beats is that the audience might include degenerate gamblers. They love obscure contests that have betting lines nevertheless.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Columbia
03-08-23 09:29 PM - Post#353513    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
The whole shtick of Bad Beats is that the audience might include degenerate gamblers. They love obscure contests that have betting lines nevertheless.

I mean, over the past decade we have been absolutely bombarded with sports gambling messages right and left before, during and after games in just about every sport, both from whatever network is telecasting it as well as advertisements. I mean, they are even talking about the betting lines during intermissions in the games that are being telecast.

I can't stand it.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-23 09:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-09-23 12:24 AM - Post#353533    
    In response to penn nation

Part of the Canon of Kool Kid Sports Commentary for decades was that the anti-gambling stance of sports leagues, teams, and broadcasters was hypocritical and dishonest and no fun. Everybody was betting, ratings depended on it, blah, blah, blah. (IMO, the injection of fantasy sports was the gateway drug to annoying us with this sort of thing, but gambling is much bigger dough, I'd imagine.)

This went alongs with other tenets, such as College Players Should Be Paid, Boosters are Bad, Let the Free Market Decide Pro Players' Compensation, Subvert the Free Market to Promote Women's Sports, Allow Biological Males to Compete With Women Even if it Hurts Women's Sports, etc. Like other religious canons, ignoring the inconsistencies marks one as a particularly righteous member of the faithful.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.316 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:06 AM