Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Antitrust lawsuit over. scholarships        (Topic#27119)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-08-23 11:38 AM - Post#353466    
    In response to LocalTiger

They are all missing the point. The fact that all Ivy prices (at retail - along with the well-endowed smaller schools) all move their tuition/fees/boarding rates pretty much in unison is the very definition of price fixing. OTOH, The legal argument for forcing merit schollies completely evades me; athletic or otherwise.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Antitrust lawsuit over. scholarships
03-08-23 11:40 AM - Post#353467    

Excellent article for a non-lawyer like myself.

As a sociologist, I see any number of legitimate complaints here. The existing policies clearly favor legacies who have a much easier time of getting admitted in the first place and, everything being equal, are able to afford it regardless of how much money, if any, is awarded to them.

Edited by penn nation on 03-08-23 11:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Re: Antitrust lawsuit over. scholarships
03-08-23 12:39 PM - Post#353474    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:

As a sociologist, I see any number of legitimate complaints here. The existing policies clearly favor legacies who have a much easier time of getting admitted in the first place and, everything being equal, are able to afford it regardless of how much money, if any, is awarded to them.

Keep in mind, one needs to apply ED to get legacy preference. The whole ED system is also suspect ethically, and perhaps legally; but I do not see how relevant this is to the athletic/merit scholarship issue.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-08-23 07:49 PM - Post#353503    
    In response to Streamers

You can hate legacy admissions or believe in them but I don’t see how that has anything to do with athletic scholarships. And the Ivies’ financial aid packages are really strong, which makes me wonder how much the plaintiffs’ Brown educations cost them. I paid way under sticker price for both of my kid’s college educations. One went to a “Top-20” university in the Midwest and received a substantial merit-based scholarship. The other is at an Ivy with generous need-based aid (we are paying even less for him than child #1 despite a household income that puts us in 90+% of US household income). Both educations cost us less than in-state tuition would have been to Rutgers.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
03-08-23 09:44 PM - Post#353516    
    In response to TigerFan

All true, but full scholarships plus cost of attendance payments will beat financial aid every day of the week. I believe the cost of attendance checks can be as high as $4k/semester now, which is not nothing.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-09-23 12:13 AM - Post#353531    
    In response to CM

I would just say that the more-advanced understanding of law and economics generated by Williamson, Klein, Crawford, Alchian, Demsetz, etc. insists that non-standard contractual arrangements are not to be written off as per se abuses of market power. My guess is that the institutional equilibrium for an IL that had athletic scholarships required would be a drop to Division III or some other way to circumvent the requirement.

What I don't see is how the plaintiff's argument wouldn't also make DIII illegal as a price-fixing conspiracy.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
03-09-23 12:14 AM - Post#353532    
    In response to TigerFan

I don’t want to turn this into a discussion about financial aid, but the Ivies definition of ‘need’ has some serious flaws. Merit based aid available at other quality schools often becomes a necessity for many families who would otherwise qualify for Ivy admission. I congratulate you for navigating that maze successfully.

CM 
Masters Student

03-09-23 08:17 AM - Post#353550    
    In response to SRP

This was where I landed as well - you don't have to have scholarships, but you do if you want to remain D1.

I've been saying for some time, with the covid season cancellation being the most egregious example, that the IL has been treating its athletes like D3 anyway, while trumpeting them as D1.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
03-09-23 03:57 PM - Post#353584    
    In response to CM

Wouldn't the same theory also apply to scholarship limits by sport at D-1? I mean everyone is agreeing to only give 11.7 baseball scholarships, or whatever it is.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-09-23 04:17 PM - Post#353586    
    In response to digamma

Hey guys, let's not poo poo legacy admissions just yet. My kids are 5 and 1, so I need those advantages to be around a bit longer, lol

CM 
Masters Student

03-09-23 06:39 PM - Post#353600    
    In response to digamma

I don't know the details of legal basis of the suit, but from my understanding it would be more like if one school offered 3 full scholarships and another 15. I believe there are agreements in place as to the total number of scholarships a school can offer per sport.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
03-09-23 06:53 PM - Post#353602    
    In response to CM

There is a difference between rules imposed by a governing body
(the NCAA), and agreements reached among competitors
(the Ivy Leagueschools).

CM 
Masters Student

03-09-23 07:01 PM - Post#353604    

Indeed. This is why I'm just speculating and admit my ignorance on the legal basis of this.

SRP 
Postdoc

03-09-23 07:48 PM - Post#353607    
    In response to CM

The distinction between a "governing body" and a group of schools is ridiculous. The IL is as much a governing body as any other conference with rules.

And to CM, I don't see how DIII itself would be legal under the claimed doctrine of the lawsuit.

In fact, no agreement among competitors (in any sporting arena)that limited the resources used could stand up. Standardization of engines in auto racing would unfairly affect the vendors of other engines. Restrictions on roster size limit opportunities. And on and on.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-09-23 07:52 PM - Post#353609    
    In response to CM

Would the same legal arguments hold for non-athletic, merit scholarships? Performing artists? mathematicians? Etc? The schools compete for talent of all sorts and I don’t believe any provide merit-based scholarships for any of these talents. What am I missing?

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
03-09-23 08:39 PM - Post#353614    
    In response to TigerFan

SRP, are you aware of other conferences with rules restricting
scholarships beyond NCAA limitations. The Patriot League used to, but no more.
as a general matter, antitrust law is concerned with agreements
among competitors: it does not scrutinize rules imposed by
a central authority.
You may think that is ridiculous, but that is antitrust law.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-09-23 08:41 PM - Post#353615    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
The distinction between a "governing body" and a group of schools is ridiculous. The IL is as much a governing body as any other conference with rules.

And to CM, I don't see how DIII itself would be legal under the claimed doctrine of the lawsuit.

In fact, no agreement among competitors (in any sporting arena)that limited the resources used could stand up. Standardization of engines in auto racing would unfairly affect the vendors of other engines. Restrictions on roster size limit opportunities. And on and on.

Formula 1 has a standard powerplant configuration. Each supplier (Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda (Red Bull) and Renault) must conform to the standard, but each has the latitude to determine how best to do so.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 03-09-23 08:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
03-09-23 09:31 PM - Post#353617    

• LocalTiger Said:
There is a difference between rules imposed by a governing body
(the NCAA), and agreements reached among competitors
(the Ivy Leagueschools).

I do not believe that is true under the 2021 Supreme Court NIL case (NCAA v. Alston):

"On June 21, 2021, in NCAA v. Alston, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously held that the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s (NCAA) rules limiting education-related compensation that colleges and universities can provide to student-athletes violate Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Slip Op. 20-512 (June 21, 2021). In the opinion written by Justice Neil Gorsuch, the Court affirmed that the NCAA is not exempt from the antitrust laws, in the process sending a shot across the bow of colleges and universities (and other not-for-profit entities), stating, “[T]o the extent [the NCAA proposes] a sort of judicially ordained immunity from the terms of the Sherman Act for its restraints of trade – that we should overlook its restrictions because they happen to fall at the intersection of higher education, sports[] and money – we cannot agree.”

Making this an unusual antitrust case, the parties did not challenge the district court’s definition of the relevant market and they did not dispute that the NCAA enjoys monopsony power in that market (nor was there any argument that the plaintiffs had to show more than harm in just the labor market – for example, harm to the consumer market for college sports). There was no question that the NCAA member schools competed for student-athletes, and there was no dispute that the NCAA’s restrictions decreased the compensation that student-athletes would otherwise receive but for those rules (and that such decreases in compensation drove down participation in the relevant labor market). Justice Gorsuch succinctly captured these unique areas of agreement, observing that “this suit involves admitted horizontal price fixing in a market where the defendants exercise monopoly control.”

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/supreme-cou rt-ho...

SRP 
Postdoc

03-10-23 04:29 AM - Post#353626    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Yes, different racing leagues have rules that in different ways restrain trade. F2 and F3 have standard engines that everyone must use, done explicitly to limit what can be paid to engine designers and manufacturers. Other leagues have other rules aimed at reducing participants’ expenditures on equipment. By the strict logic that done of the justices seem to embrace, these would be illegal collusive restraints on trade.

palestra38 
Professor

03-10-23 08:28 AM - Post#353628    
    In response to SRP

Harking back to my original criticism of the suit, I am certain the Ivies WILL challenge the limitation of the suit's relevant market to the Ivies as well as the allegation that the League's schools' agreement to give only need-based aid constitutes the per se violation of "price fixing". When one reads Justice Gorsuch's words, I don't see this case fitting within the same parameters at all.

As an aside, 7 of the 9 Justices went to Ivy League schools as undergraduates and only Barrett didn't go to either Harvard or Yale Law Schools. Query whether that might have an ultimate impact.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.213 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:10 PM