Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 12 « First<4567>» Last
Username Post: Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread        (Topic#27263)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
05-12-23 10:20 AM - Post#356270    
    In response to rbg

https://redstormsports.com/news/2023/5/12/mens-b as...

"Really excited to have Jordan Dingle joining the Red Storm," said Pitino. "His goals are plain and simple. As a loyal New Yorker, help bring back St. John's to basketball royalty, and then become a [NBA] First Round draft choice. I'm all in on making that happen."

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
05-12-23 10:46 AM - Post#356271    
    In response to rbg

good luck to jordan

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-12-23 11:02 AM - Post#356272    
    In response to Jeff2sf

As much as I dislike Philadelphia, trading a Penn degree for a year a St. Johns playing for Rick Pitino seems like a poor idea. I can’t see how his NBA chances will be any greater playing among a group of other NBA hopefuls trying to showcase themselves than leading Penn to a possible Ivy Championship. But, good luck, Jordan. Penn will be a lot worse without you.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
05-12-23 11:03 AM - Post#356273    
    In response to Jeff2sf

As much as I dislike Philadelphia, trading a Penn degree for a year a St. Johns playing for Rick Pitino seems like a poor idea. I can’t see how his NBA chances will be any greater playing among a group of other NBA hopefuls trying to showcase themselves than leading Penn to a possible Ivy Championship. But, good luck, Jordan. Penn will be a lot worse without you.

Penn7277 
PhD Student

Loc: Lancaster, PA
Reg: 11-21-04
05-12-23 12:36 PM - Post#356276    
    In response to Tiger69

Could Jordan transfer credits back from St. Johns to Penn and get a Penn degree?

rbg 
Postdoc

Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
05-12-23 01:41 PM - Post#356277    
    In response to Penn7277

Penn, like many universities, allows credits from approved classes at an accredited school, but the student would have to be enrolled at Penn. This is what happens when a student does a GenEd or intro level class at a local school during the summer or winter break, as well as a domestic exchange or study abroad program.

Would it be possible for Jordan to be enrolled at Penn, while taking classes at St. John's, like a domestic exchange-type situation?

https://catalog.upenn.edu/undergraduate/policie s-p...

https://admissions.upenn.edu/admissions-and-financ ...

Edited by rbg on 05-12-23 01:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
05-12-23 01:48 PM - Post#356278    
    In response to rbg

I don't think he can play for St Johns unless enrolled there as a full time student. But what he can do is what athletes have done for eons---1st semester take the smallest acceptable class load with easy classes.
2nd semester---don't worry about going to class up there, take a few incompletes the 2nd semester and don't graduate. Then, when he is done with whatever he can do in pro ball, return to Penn for his diploma.

rbg 
Postdoc

Dingle Transferring Continuation Thread
05-12-23 02:14 PM - Post#356279    
    In response to palestra38

Thanks for that info.

That seems like an allowable & transactional plan.

(One of the more creative plans was Dartmouth's Brendan Barry. He graduated in December of 2020, then transferred to Temple as a grad student for the spring semester. Then, he transferred back to Dartmouth as a grad student for 2022-2023.)

On the SJU website, Jordan is listed as a junior on the 2023-2024 roster while all of the other transfers are listed as one year above what they were in 2022-2023. It seems like SJU's IT people made a simple mistake.

Edited by rbg on 05-12-23 02:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
05-12-23 02:38 PM - Post#356280    
    In response to Tiger69

I'm surprised at how much attention Jordan's commitment is getting in the national sports media. It's everywhere.

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
05-12-23 02:48 PM - Post#356282    
    In response to Streamers

It just underscores what a huge debacle this is for Donahue and Penn
Leges sine moribus vanae

palestra38 
Professor

05-12-23 03:27 PM - Post#356283    
    In response to Streamers

When a guy like Pitino, who forced out a class of recruits from the prior coach and said he was going to re-make the team into championship contenders makes his first major transfer portal pickup Dingle, that's major news.

We all know that this is a debacle, but unlike some others here, I don't think that Donahue could have done anything about it. If scouts and advisors told him he needed to play at a higher level, what could we have done?

....Other than win last year, as we should have done.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
05-12-23 03:45 PM - Post#356284    

Great move for Jordan. He will have an excellent coach in Pitino. Who seems like a total loser as a human but that won't matter to Jordan in a year there.

I see they also got Naheem Alleyne also. More of a 3 and D guy. Third Power Five school for him in three years. It's a brave new world for these guys.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
05-12-23 03:48 PM - Post#356285    

• palestra38 Said:
When a guy like Pitino, who forced out a class of recruits from the prior coach and said he was going to re-make the team into championship contenders makes his first major transfer portal pickup Dingle, that's major news.

We all know that this is a debacle, but unlike some others here, I don't think that Donahue could have done anything about it. If scouts and advisors told him he needed to play at a higher level, what could we have done?

....Other than win last year, as we should have done.

That's where I am at also. He may say some things about the coaching or recruiting but if so think he is just filling in reasons I believe since he previously made a commitment to the school. I would have to think it's 90 percent about being NBA ready.

It's a great move to play in the Power 5 Big East with an experienced winning coach. I will follow St. Johns this year.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
05-12-23 05:53 PM - Post#356287    
    In response to Streamers

He was second leading scorer in all of Division 1, turns out people notice such things.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
05-12-23 06:49 PM - Post#356289    
    In response to CM

Probably more importantly he averaged 21 ppg against P5 schools he played against.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
05-13-23 06:48 AM - Post#356290    
    In response to nychoops

• nychoops Said:
To be able to play at this level both athletically and academically is beyond my imagination and I have the utmost respect for each and every one of them.

Best summary of why I love Ivy basketball.

slane 
Freshman

Reg: 02-09-05
05-13-23 11:10 AM - Post#356293    
    In response to rbg

The question isn’t whether Jordan as a junior or a senior, the question is whether he has 1 or 2 years of eligibility left at St Johns. All NCAA Division 1 athletes from 2021 were granted an extra (5th) year of COVID eligibility by the NCAA. However since Max and Jordan withdrew from school for the 2020-2021 academic year to preserve their Ivy eligibility, it is unclear whether athletes who took the COVID year off from school entirely are entitled to the 5th year that athletes who played during 20-21 received.

It appears that our lacrosse seniors who took a single semester off during 20-21 (and then took the first semester of 22-23 off are entitled to the 5th NCAA year. Max and Jordan however took the entire COVID year off and may not be getting that 5th year.

SomeGuy 
Professor

05-13-23 11:35 AM - Post#356294    
    In response to Mike Porter

Mike — I think my point has gotten a little lost here. There is nothing wrong with you, or nychoops, or Jeff, or anyone else criticizing the recruiting. What I was reacting to was connecting Jordan’s personal opinions to that. I find it hard to believe that is where he is on it, again because of the reflection on his teammates. And coming from him, it would have a very different (and far more personal) tenor. Jordan would have every right to say it as well, but I would be very surprised if he personally thought it (and if he did think it, I’d be very surprised if he would say it, or want it connected directly to him). That’s it.

SteveDanley 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-25-12
05-14-23 09:20 PM - Post#356306    
    In response to Cvonvorys

@cvonvorys appreciate the shout out -- though it's worth noting I'm now 16 years out, there's been multiple coaching changes, and I haven't really been close with a guy on the team since Fran Dougherty left. I'm getting old with everyone else.

I wouldn't put much weight into anything players are told during recruitment -- you pretty much have to tell guys they're a top choice to get guys to come. I had schools tell me I was their #1 big, then never offer. Penn was clear I was a prioritized recruit -- though in hindsight part of that was likely my AI. Apparently Coach Duke (who I adore) used to say "love danley, but you could lock him alone in the gym with a ball and he still wouldn't score" while they were recruiting me. I had no idea they were also recruiting Pettinella and we basically competed for minutes until he transferred -- and they thought Zoller was a 3. Recruiting is a weird thing.

I'd be very surprised if Penn didn't have higher ranked recruits on their board that the staff is missing on. That doesn't mean they don't like the guys they get -- just that in an ideal class those guys might be the 3rd or 4th guy and there'd be more guys like AJ (highly recruited, ready to contribute early). That's the case for almost every coaching staff everywhere, I think. Maybe this staff is high on the players coming in -- but I, personally, don't think we have brought in enough difference-makers. I can't imagine that's a super hot take.

But I'm by no means an insider these days. I say hi to the staff when I'm around, and catch a few games (in person or ESPN+). Get along well with them all and want to see them win.

I will say this -- I (again with no inside info) thought it likely Dingle would leave from the start of the season. Mostly just because the NIL and Europe money is so good for top guys -- and it's so common for guys to move (I've just lived through the Hunter Dickenson attention -- he's a DeMatha guy, where I'm a little more connected). But also because everyone dreams of playing in the tourney/Final Four -- you only get a few bites at that apple.

A million opportunities in my life (professionally, personally) that I can fail at or miss, then just get back up and try again -- but I played (poorly) in three NCAA losses and those were the only shots I'd ever get. It's just a unique thing.

I hope Dingle has a fun run with St. Johns, that Penn treats him right if he tries to find a way to get a degree, and that his decisions work out financially over the short and long run.

Edited by SteveDanley on 05-14-23 09:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tioga 
Freshman

Reg: 05-18-06
05-14-23 09:43 PM - Post#356307    
    In response to SteveDanley

Thank you, Steve, for bringing a dose of reality to this discussion.

Page 4 of 12 « First<4567>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.123 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:55 AM