Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Max Martz        (Topic#27416)
pennsive 
Junior

Reg: 11-21-04
09-04-23 09:49 AM - Post#357827    
    In response to pennsive

Correction to fifth line: “and our offense” should have printed as “on offense.”

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
09-04-23 01:28 PM - Post#357829    
    In response to UPIA1968

• UPIA1968 Said:
In thinking about where Penn is going to get winning basketball this year I did an analysis of the players getting the most time for the last five games of the six years of Steve's program. I assume that those players made the most contribution. That's why they were on the floor.

Then I looked to see how many of those players got significant time in their first years. (There were two transfers.) 22 of the thirty were in the top five in their first years. (That's 73%.) Good players get time early. Last year's team was not so full of stars to deny time to very good newcomers.

This year's team will have only one such instant contributor in Clark S. It will have to get four starters without that Freshman significance. Fortunately, the team has an outlier in Spinosa, so it will need three new faces.

These odds suggest that two of those players will be freshmen, with only one existing player upping his game enough to start. That will most likely be Smith who may buck the odds like Spinosa. This history does not look kindly on the prospects of Thrower, Laz, or Holland breaking through. Sure one or more, like Laz, or Smith, last year, will contribute depth. However, one does not win many games if its depth players are getting the majority of minutes.

In the Donahue era, such late developing-players turned out very well five times (Woods Foreman, Howard, Rothschild, Spinosa). Note, however, that the first four were Allen recruits who were probably mismanaged during their freshman years. Steve has, so far, only one player develop into a starter after a modest freshman start, Spinosa.

This suggests that two or three of the freshmen will emerge as starters, just as AJ, Devon, and Betley did in 2017, and Dingle, Martz, and Monroe did in 2020. That is what happens when a team returns so little talent.

Could they fund a winner? AJ, Betley, and Dingle are the examples of Donahue Frosh who STARRED their first year. The other sixteen Donahue recruits did not. Those odds say that Nick and Clark will be surrounded by depth players. It is worrying that,at best, Penn may have only one good scorer on the court a third of the time, assuming that Nick and Clark are healthy. Should they miss time, Penn will have no reliable scorer on the court a third of the time, and a defense keying on the one scorer the rest of the game.

Unless we have a winter of blue snow. Is there a Betley, Dingle, or AJ suiting up for the first time this year? I suppose we could find a diamond in the rough like Dingle or Betley. There is no high-rated recruit in this class. Or maybe Cam

So, forgive me for concluding that a team that loses six of its top ten players will struggle. Let's hope it will be interesting at least. Twenty losses are more likely than an appearance in Ivy Madness. My but I hope I am wrong.

I'm not sure how you quantified "significant" time but a couple clarifications here (none of which change you excellent point). The Allen recruits you mention (Howard, Foreman, Woods, Rothschild) are not all the same class. Howard was a Junior in Donahue's' first year and Foreman/Woods were sophomores. Though he was an Allen recruit, Rothschild played all 4 years under Donahue along with Silpe, Jackson D, and Tyler Hamilton--all of whom were Allen recruits. Of your examples only Howard was an exception. He played only 6 min a game as a freshman under Allen. Antonio Woods averaged 32 min a game as a frosh and Foreman played 21 min a game. Under Donahue, Rothschild played 15 min a game as a freshman (starting 2) and I believe played in every game over 4 years for which he was healthy. Silpe and Jackson D both played extensively as freshman, starting 20 and 17 games respectively. Eddie Scott and MLL may be exceptions who played little early and contributed significantly later.

Your point is taken, though, and the evidence strongly suggests at least two freshmen will be on the floor this year. I would bet on Gerhart, Brown and possibly Perkins being significant contributors.

As far as Ubochi, I was hoping his story was more like MLL's who was injured and came back to be a solid rim protector and contributor.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
09-04-23 02:49 PM - Post#357830    
    In response to PennFan10

*for Ubochi, I should say "I am hoping" not "was hoping" .

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:26 PM