Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lindy's 2023-24 Ivy League Previews        (Topic#27432)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
09-14-23 07:43 PM - Post#357951    

Lindy's Sports Magazine has just been published and its Men's Ivy League predictions are, as follows; 1. Yale; 2. Princeton; 3. Brown; 4. Penn; 5. Cornell; 6. Harvard; 7. Dartmouth; and 8. Columbia. The Lions junior guard, Geronimo Rubio DeLa Rosa, is a Second Team All-Conference Team selection. Yale's Matt Knowling is picked as the Ivy League's Player of the Year and Princeton's Dalen Davis is chosen as the Newcomer of the Year.

Edited by Columbia 37P6 on 09-14-23 07:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Lindy's 2023-24 Ivy League Previews
09-14-23 07:58 PM - Post#357952    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

That was probably written before Penn announced that Max Martz would be taking a medical retirement.

We've lost two of our top three scorers from last season. The team has more question marks than answers right now. Fourth place looks a long way off over the horizon.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
09-15-23 08:02 AM - Post#357958    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

My daughter was accepted into the Columbia Science Honors Program for high school students. She is excited because Columbia is her top college choice, and not even due to any influence on my part.

I'm excited as I'm looking forward to attending Saturday games at Levien after her classes. I haven't attended a game at Levien since the Smith years.

I've streamed a few Columbia games the past couple of years. My uneducated take is that the talent level is coming along, but game coaching needs some fine tuning.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
09-15-23 02:20 PM - Post#357967    
    In response to TheLine

I haven't read it.

Does this reflect Harvard's injuries (Evan Nelson, Bennett Pitcher) and whatever the fact that Louis Lesmond did not play with the team in Canada this summer means? Maybe Harvard deserves to be #6 even if healthy.

I was sort of hoping Columbia's youngsters or Cornell's depth might make a run at the tournament with Harvard and Penn losing so much talent. Remember, the tournament is at Columbia this year.

Wonder if two of the CCBD might make our tournament? Would be sort of nice.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

09-15-23 10:20 PM - Post#357979    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Yes,Weinhauer's Ghost, it does looks like the Ivy write-up was prepared before the Martz news broke... checking on Harvarddaggrad question and will let hin know... congratulations to The Line on your daughter's acceptance into the Columbia Science Honors Program....if I were you I would plan on going to the women's basketball games rather than the men's basketball games --why subject yourself to the pain and misery of a men's program that has fallen apart due to a "CWCC" i.e "coach who can't coach"....go instead to the women's games where one of the best young coaches in America, Megan Griffith, wins with a smile and HI ("High Intelligence").

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
09-18-23 11:46 AM - Post#357993    

My criticism of Engles is based upon recruiting results. Pure and simple. So let’s see if the current roster with the newcomers and all of the younger players has turned a corner.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

09-18-23 12:46 PM - Post#357994    
    In response to Chet Forte

In reply to Harvarddadgrad's questions, the Lindy's article states that "Point guard Evan Nelson, the only returnee among the top five in minutes played, scores and distributes the ball effectively..." and "Guard Louis Lesmond is back after an early season injury limited him to five games..." The third player you asked about is not mentioned at all.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

09-18-23 01:26 PM - Post#357999    

Chet, in my opinion, Engles's horrific won-loss record at Columbia the past seven years speaks for itself and is due not only to his inability to recruit effectively, but also to his inability to do almost everything else that a coach is required to do to be successful. However, as a diehard Columbia sports fan, I am hoping, of course, that Columbia will be much improved this year and will move up from the cellar to capture one of the four post-season tournament berths. Recruiting skills, or a lack thereof, cannot be used as an excuse by Engles' supporters this year, as there is no question that the Lions have plenty of talent this year, so it comes down to whether Engles knows how to win games with the talented players he has this year.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.133 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:17 AM