Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ivies screwed again        (Topic#27482)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-27-23 04:19 PM - Post#358627    

Athletic is reporting that the NIT has eliminated the automatic qualifier for conference champions which lose in their tournament

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
Re: Ivies screwed again
10-27-23 04:28 PM - Post#358628    
    In response to palestra38

That's a silly rule change, but then again I don't know that there are too many people who get excited for the Not Invited Tournament. I've been around some teams who were less than enthused at the prospect.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-27-23 05:48 PM - Post#358629    
    In response to iogyhufi

As I recall, that was the most substantive argument made in favor of having an Ivy Tournament.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
Ivies screwed again
10-28-23 01:00 PM - Post#358631    
    In response to palestra38

https://x.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 717965695961477...

With the P6 increasing in size to 80 teams - a change like this was only a matter of time to increase revenue for those institutions - now at most 40? of the 80 (50%) can make the NCAA Tournament - so a mini tournament for at least the next 12 of the P6 was likely needed - with this change at least 52 and potentially 72 of the 80 P6 schools will have a game after the conference tournament.

What I would do to reengineer the process:

Conferences are all changing / expanding / merging - at some point the P6 economics will require a 128 team NCAA tournament - which is what this change is likely implying.

Expand the NCAAs to 128 teams - with all P6 Teams qualifying and making money from the NCAA Tournament.

P6 schools still have their lucrative conference tournaments - with the 6 winning conference teams facing off for a P6 overall championship pay day.

While the P6 tournament is happening, instead of 26 individual money losing Mid-Major conference tournaments. Have one TV sponsored overall Non P6 tournament - seeded by NET - crown a Mid-Major champion and have however many schools (based on tournament performance) that are needed to get to a 128 NCAA seeds additionally making the NCAA Tournament (56 now, but the P6 is likely to grow - even. though it may become P5 with the PAC? imploding).

Every school has some form of post season revenue sharing. The most deserving Non P6 schools make the NCAA. And one could still have a 32-64 NIT tournament on the follow for some Non P6 Schools.

As regional conferences are losing their importance, figure out a way to have an in season tournament from Nov - Jan where there is an in season champion - top 1-4 teams automatically make the NCAAs

From the Twitter post:

NIT Changes:

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT. Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament’s 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee’s evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first round hosts, with deference given to the “first four teams out” of the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball. Additional teams from the six conferences with AQs are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

Edited by JDP on 10-28-23 01:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Ivies screwed again
10-28-23 03:03 PM - Post#358632    
    In response to JDP

Reading between the lines of the Goodman tweet, it definitely looks as if the Ivies are screwed. I think the chances of retaining the automatic bid for the conference tournament winner look bleak.

I really hate what football-driven conference realignment has done, is doing and will continue to do to college hoops. As an Ivy alum and basketball junkie who grew up in the NYC metro area and continues to live in the city, I really don't care about big time college football. I know that. makes me a relative outlier, but it is what it is.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 10-28-23 03:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Ivies screwed again
10-28-23 06:06 PM - Post#358634    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I'd be lying if I said I cared about the NIT anymore. Especially now that Ivy Madness gives us an exciting postseason event outside of the Big Dance.

If it were up to me, I'd make the NIT fundamentally different than the NCAA tourney. Maybe they could invite international U19/U20 teams to compete against D-I college teams. At least that would be clearly distinct from the Big Dance.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
10-28-23 06:29 PM - Post#358635    
    In response to gokinsmen

I actually like that idea, D1 teams playing against U19/U20 international teams. It would be even more fun to see those games played under FIBA rules.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:25 AM