Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: John Jay        (Topic#27486)
91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
11-06-23 06:55 PM - Post#358794    
    In response to TheLine

6PM start for those of us (like me) not paying attention!

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-06-23 07:02 PM - Post#358795    
    In response to 91Quake

Rousing Penn ad to start the broadcast.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-06-23 07:04 PM - Post#358796    
    In response to Penndemonium

I See Slajchert, Spinonso, Perkins, Holland, and Thrower to start (I think).

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-06-23 07:04 PM - Post#358797    

First 3 scores: Spinoso, Perkins, and Thrower.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
11-06-23 07:12 PM - Post#358799    

Augie Gerheart is in the house!

91Quake 
PhD Student

11-06-23 07:20 PM - Post#358800    
    In response to 10Q

Thrower needs to save some of those makes!

Defense will determine how this team will do this year.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-06-23 07:27 PM - Post#358801    

Perkins looking like a keeper.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
11-06-23 07:38 PM - Post#358802    

• Penndemonium Said:
Perkins looking like a keeper.

Yes he does although I missed the beginning. Quick and seems a decent shot.

Turned it on with Penn up 30-9 just in time to see Polonowski miss three threes and give up an and one on the other end. But now things have settled down.

It's sexist but Megan Birdsong is pleasing to my old eyes. And I am sure she will be a competent sidelibne reporter also.

Assume Bucknell will be much more of a test.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

11-06-23 07:40 PM - Post#358803    
    In response to 91Quake

• 91Quake Said:

Defense will determine how this team will do this year.

Yes, unfortunately there are some signs against this lower level competition that it will be s struggle. I think the solution is playing a lot of guys and keeping the pressure on. Might give up some free throws but so be it.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

11-06-23 07:42 PM - Post#358804    
    In response to OldBig5

Looked it up and Bucknell is picked near or at the bottom of the Patriot League. John Griffin III is their new coach.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-06-23 07:44 PM - Post#358806    

The Palestra looks pretty empty. It's pretty quiet here on this board too.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

11-06-23 07:46 PM - Post#358807    

• Penndemonium Said:
The Palestra looks pretty empty. It's pretty quiet here on this board too.

Who could have predicted that John Jay would not be a good draw.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-06-23 08:08 PM - Post#358809    
    In response to OldBig5

• OldBig5 Said:
[

Can't draw--maybe that's why JJ didn't sign the Declaration of Independence.

I do Bar Mitzvahs, too.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

11-06-23 08:11 PM - Post#358810    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
  • OldBig5 Said:
[

Can't draw--maybe that's why JJ didn't sign the Declaration of Independence.

I do Bar Mitzvahs, too.

Did not know that. About JJ. Or you.

20Penn14 
Senior

Reg: 02-26-12
11-06-23 08:48 PM - Post#358814    

Having the band and students behind the visiting basket really makes the Penn side look empty on TV

slane 
Freshman

Reg: 02-09-05
11-06-23 09:07 PM - Post#358817    
    In response to 20Penn14

For what it’s worth: Holland 7-7 with 16 pts in 16 minutes and Laz 4-4

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-06-23 09:12 PM - Post#358818    
    In response to OldBig5

Player and team observations...

Perkins - strong and confident for a Freshman. Made several threes and already one of our more impactful players. He has an upperclassman body. It would be NBA-like if he gets a bit more chiseled. Newcomer of the year.

Slajchert - Looks a lot like last year, but shows a bit more leadership and physical strength. His 3 pt shot looks slightly more grooved. Clearly our team leader. Wasn't under much pressure today.

Spinoso - Looks a bit stronger and more confident than last year, but still has a pretty rough time finishing from point blank. His finishes seem to hit the back of the rim a bit too hard for a friendly roll. That guy really needs to practice lofting/rolling the ball off his fingers. He would be a killer if he could make the baby hook or 5 foot lofted layup off the glass. He's still our most important defensive anchor.

Gerhart - Really looks like Spinoso of the future for us. Upperclassman physicality, good hustle, and pretty good defense. He looks like he could be a strong rebounder for us and develop on offense in the future. I'd like to see him move more explosively off-the ball on offense and generally on defense. Good work on boxing out, setting screens, and making passes. He made a great cut off the pick and roll in the second half for a slam too.

Thrower - Looks good on offense, not great on defense yet. Lots of range and a nice looking shot. Can become a real player. Would like to see him in higher gear on defense. He looked like a bit of a statue on defense.

Walter - Some nice minutes. Good hustle and movement, and good effort on defense. Seemed to generally make the right play at a given time. Will be a good role player for us. Would like to see him develop more strength and a faster clock speed (like Laz).

Polonowski - a bit early to judge, but I could see him developing into a nice player. Good motor on defense, but can still step up his speed a bit more. Will need to develop some more utility on offense.

McMullen - made a good fast drive to the hoop, but his shot doesn't look like one we could rely on.

Holland - a few good moments, and has a balance of size, speed, and defensive potential that we will need. Not imposing himself, but definitely contributing.

Smith - a bit stronger and more aggressive this year. A good contributor whenever he's on the floor. Even handled the ball a bit in the last few minutes of the game, and broke the pressure.

Laz - as always, very active when he is on the court. That put him in touch for some nice cutbacks and a dunk. He always looks alert and makes a lot of cuts. Always at work for a rebound, even before a shot goes up. Some of our other players could learn from watching his activity level on tape.

Ubochi - wow he is tall and long. I loved that he kept his whole wingspan up on defense the whole time. That is such a deterrent for the other team. The team switched to zone as soon as he came in, and he occupies a lot of space in the middle. I liked his hustle for rebounds, though he needs to develop his position sooner and have a bit more physical authority in cleaning out the paint earlier. He hustled to box out, but only after he saw the ball in the air. He would be very valuable to us if he continuously pushes people off the blocks. He is a potential shot-blocking menace.

Chambers - hit the cheesesteak 3 pointer!

Hsu - love his motor in the few minutes. Very twitchy movement. Would love to see more of our players develop that.

Would have liked to see Brown. Was he injured?

This was a bit too much of a blowout to really assess our team. The team moved the ball very quickly, but that was partly because of the big advantage they had. It will be interesting to see how this team operates in more patient half-court sets. It was hilarious to watch the Freshman trying to figure out the Red and Blue arm movement. Loved the joyful water bottle shower of Gerhart during the post-game interview!

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
John Jay
11-06-23 11:01 PM - Post#358832    

According to the ESPN box score, attendance was an abysmal 636.

I saw the last eight minutes of the first half and the rest of the game. Nice to see such efficiency from Holland. Perkins looked good, if a little bit out of control at times. Gerhart and Walter look like they've got some skills, though both need to get stronger. I am intrigued by Ubochi and hope he fights his way into the rotation. Thrower still needs to slow down and let the game come to him.

This is a young team that doesn't have a lot of game experience. I think they're going to be inconsistent, but there's potential.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 11-06-23 11:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

John Jay
11-07-23 02:56 AM - Post#358840    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Ubochi was active blocking or altering shots. It pulled him out of position a few times from rebounding. He needs to practice clearing out the paint even before the shot goes up. He also needs to develop his base so he can push people with more force and get loose balls without bending at the waist. He was in the mix for some rebounds where he just didn't occupy quite enough space. With his wingspan, he could be a monster on the boards.

I actually liked Gerhart quite a bit, considering this was his first game as a Quaker freshman. He looked as good as any Freshman big that I can remember. The competition was definitely a factor.

91Quake 
PhD Student

11-07-23 09:09 AM - Post#358848    

City of Basketball Love has a good recap and says Sam Brown had a sprained ankle:

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/...

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.177 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:35 AM