Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: John Jay        (Topic#27486)
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
11-07-23 11:10 AM - Post#358860    
    In response to 91Quake

The starters were 14-25 (56%) from two, 8-15 (53%) from three, and 7-9 (78%) from the line.

Holland looks like a Monroe who can finish.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: John Jay
11-07-23 02:27 PM - Post#358867    
    In response to Penndemonium

Not to nitpick, but did Gerhart look better than AJ Brodeur? I don’t see how that could be the case (though it would be good news, obviously).

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
11-07-23 02:59 PM - Post#358871    
    In response to SomeGuy

who said that?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-07-23 05:16 PM - Post#358879    
    In response to 91Quake

My takeaway is that we have a good core of young players who will be able to compete in the future. There are some players who have potential as Ivy stars, but none are ordained. The path to a future Ivy championship is either Donahue recruiting some consecutive strong classes behind them or else the young core developing both individually and as a group that executes really well as a Donahue type of team.

It was a good sign that the team didn't play down to their level of competition.

I went and re-watched Cam Thrower's old high school tapes to try to picture what type of player he will be. He looked amazing in the game after his first few shots. He had a quick release and dropped in threes calmly with range. He looked a bit slow on defense to me and didn't put much pressure on the other team off the drive. He seems to be a very good athlete, but not quite explosive enough to dominate physically. To compete in Div. I, I think he will need another dimension to his game - creating dribble pressure and playmaking for the team. He is somewhat like Jonah Charles at this moment.

I think Sam Brown has some of those tools to be constantly testing a defense and finding efficient ways to beat pressure and create for the team. He may play a bigger role for the team.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-07-23 06:05 PM - Post#358881    

• Penndemonium Said:
There are some players who have potential as Ivy stars, but none are ordained.

Perhaps Penn should start a Divinity School.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
11-07-23 06:37 PM - Post#358886    
    In response to penn nation

Reserving judgement until I see how they play against other D1 players, but Holland again reminded me how annoyed I was he didn’t play more last year (Thrower I felt could have played more too), and the freshman starting with Perkins show promise (Perkins really stood out as smooth and strong for a frosh). Let’s see how it goes against Bucknell tomorrow.

Does anyone know who we scrimmaged and what the results were?

SomeGuy 
Professor

11-07-23 09:00 PM - Post#358895    
    In response to yoyo

Penndemonium said Gerhart looked as good as as any freshman big he could remember. Given that AJ was of recent vintage, that surprised me.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-07-23 11:18 PM - Post#358898    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Penndemonium said Gerhart looked as good as as any freshman big he could remember. Given that AJ was of recent vintage, that surprised me.

Yeah, my guess is that Penndemonium forgot AJ. Gerhart looked promising against smaller D3 kids, but wasn't in same zip code as AJ. I just checked back, AJ scored 23 points on 11-14 shooting with 11 rebounds against Robert Morris (D1) in his first game.

Not a knock against Gerhart who I thought looked good coming off the bench in his first game as a frosh. Hope he will be a good one. AJ was just THAT good right out of the gate.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-08-23 03:47 AM - Post#358901    
    In response to Mike Porter

Agreed that I wasn't thinking of AJ.

He did remind me of Adam Chubb as an upperclassman. I think he will be better than Chubb at the end of the day. Somehow Chubb didn't have a great Penn career, even though he was a monster in the Jersey Shore league and also played very well in Europe. I think Dunphy's coaching style was a bit restrictive for Chubb, who would have been better in a fast break and open court game.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-08-23 03:52 AM - Post#358902    
    In response to Mike Porter

Agreed that I wasn't thinking of AJ.

He did remind me of Adam Chubb as an upperclassman. I think he will be better than Chubb at the end of the day. Somehow Chubb didn't have a great Penn career, even though he was a monster in the Jersey Shore league and also played very well in Europe. I think Dunphy's coaching style was a bit restrictive for Chubb, who would have been better in a fast break and open court game.

I might have exaggerated there. I don't remember Ugonna's first game anymore. I don't remember Zoller's. I do remember AJ's very impressive first game.

Nonetheless, Gerhart looked like he belonged out there.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
11-08-23 02:32 PM - Post#358918    

• Penndemonium Said:
I don't remember Ugonna's first game anymore.

I do. He put up 14 points in limited minutes against Kentucky on national TV. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-08-23 03:25 PM - Post#358919    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

The more incredible thing about game was that Klatsky, not Ugonna, was the first guy off the bench.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:
I don't remember Ugonna's first game anymore.

I do. He put up 14 points in limited minutes against Kentucky on national TV. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
11-09-23 10:00 AM - Post#358958    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:

I remember Jordan Dingle’s first game. He scored 24 points at Alabama, including the game winner in the closing seconds, at which point I knew he was going to be something special.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

slane 
Freshman

Reg: 02-09-05
11-09-23 11:00 AM - Post#358959    
    In response to 13otto

I remember Jordan Dingle’s first game. He scored 24 points at Alabama, including the game winner in the closing seconds,

I thought it was 27. I could well be wrong but I seem to recall that Lucas Monroe had 12. In fact that could have been the best offensive game of his career given the opponent. Perkins is not the scorer that Dingle was but he does more on the court than I remember Jordan doing out of the box. However, Tyler’s effectiveness against the likes of John Jay and Bucknell is not a basis for comparison. Let’s wait to see what happens against St Joe and ‘Nova before making any assessment.

I also thought the comparison of Gerhart to Chubb was a good one. Based on what He has looked like so far (again, he hasn’t faced top competition yet) I think there is reason to believe that he has the potential to be better than Chubb or Geoff Owens (Not a knock on those two but based on the small sample available, I think Gerhart could be very, very good .

palestra38 
Professor

11-09-23 12:03 PM - Post#358961    
    In response to slane

It was 24:

https://www.google.com/search?q=penn-alabama +box+s...

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

John Jay
11-09-23 02:34 PM - Post#358962    
    In response to palestra38

Gerhart is stronger and more skilled than most forwards we get - most of ours are projects on one side of the ledger or the other. For example, Max Rothschild turned into a very good all around forward for us by his senior year, but he was skilled but skinny back then.

Gerhart looked a bit smaller and slower against Bucknell than John Jay. That is not surprising. I would like to see him moving with more burst off the ball on his cuts (study Laz and Walter) and imposing himself a bit more physically (study Spinoso), but he is all-around very good and ahead of schedule for a Freshman big man.

He already seems like a competent free throw shooter (based on the eye test), which is a huge positive.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.459 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:57 PM