Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Bucknell        (Topic#27517)
OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
11-08-23 09:55 PM - Post#358943    
    In response to penn nation

I looked at two A-10 previews. St. Joes was picked fourth in one and fifth in another. So they will be a test.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-08-23 09:56 PM - Post#358944    
    In response to OldBig5

I believe that most teams this year will be a test for the Quakers.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
11-08-23 10:04 PM - Post#358946    

• penn nation Said:
I believe that most teams this year will be a test for the Quakers.

Sure, I just felt compelled to add that because a couple of posters talked about Villanova. They next game is not in the bag.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
11-08-23 10:40 PM - Post#358949    
    In response to 91Quake

I was at the game last night, curious to see how JD would play in a system where he's not the primary scoring option. He shot 5 for 11 and 1 for 6 from three point range. He mostly circled from the corners to the top of the key, running off screens. His missed three point shots were mostly short off the front of the rim. My thinking is that since he was out with the shoulder injury for most of the preseason, he just needs get back to game condition.

Defensively, he had a little difficulty keeping quicker ballhandlers in front of him. He did have a nice block of a Dean Noll layup attempt.

I am curious to see how his game evolves as the season progresses.

As for tonight's game, Perkins looked great. 24 points, 14 boards, assists. Potential Ivy rookie of the year, if he can produce like that consistently.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Bucknell
11-09-23 12:18 AM - Post#358951    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Nice win against a really bad D1 team (right now ranked nearly dead last), but a lot to like overall from the young guys and Holland (it was me who was still annoyed he didn’t play more last year).

Oddly Spinoso and Slajchert were the guys playing well below expectations in this one. Going to need a LOT better play from those two to give St. Joes a game at their place. For everyone else this will be their first game (with minutes) against another Big 5 team, so let’s see what they can do.

Particularly interested to see how Perkins can do against much tougher competition when he is top of the scouting report.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Bucknell
11-09-23 01:31 AM - Post#358952    
    In response to Mike Porter

Spinoso and Slajchert will need to show they’ve taken a step forward from last year real soon or they’re going to get their minutes cut in favor of the underclassmen.

As for Dingle: I thought the stated point of his transfer was to raise his chances of getting drafted by demonstrating he could be a ball-distributing starting lead guard at the highest level, who could also guard at the other end.

The pro scouts all knew already he was a willing shooter from the perimeter who was a constant threat to go downhill at the hoop. Last night that’s all Pitino asked him to do in a 6th/7th man role.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 11-09-23 01:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Bucknell
11-09-23 02:29 AM - Post#358953    

When I called Dingle a tweener (damn autocorrect), it is partly b/c of his unique strengths and the way he was used at Penn. His handle has improved a lot, but he isn't quite a prototype ball handler. His shot has improved a lot over the years, but is not quite pure enough of a shooter to thrive on a Pitino team. He isn't quite big enough to be an Antoine Walker do-it-all type, although he has the physical strength and some those attributes. I don't say any of this as a criticism. I love his game and everything he has done for the Quakers. At Penn, as the shot clock wound down, we would just give him the ball and give him space. One-on-one, he is simply very hard to stop. He can rise up and hit his three, or he can run right through you downhill to the hoop. I don't know if this translates well in the Big East on a Pitino team. Pitino thrives on great ball-handling, fast passing, and great shooting - as well has frenetic defense. Dingle is awesome, but he isn't the prototype for that style. He is a slower possession one-on-one guy. I hope he finds great success this season, and I hope I am completely wrong.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-09-23 03:19 AM - Post#358954    
    In response to Penndemonium

A few random Bucknell observations:

- Then team was dominating Bucknell for most of the game, but then it hit a brutal stretch when the team looked unsure of its passes, moved the ball slowly, turned the ball over, and didn't defend that well. Maybe it was a lull from overconfidence.

- Slajchert looked like a real veteran leader for the first game and a half. He looked a bit more like his Freshman self during Bucknell's run. He turned the ball over, his shot looked rushed, and he made some lackadaisical passes.

- I had low expectations for Walter, since he didn't have an impressive college career before his transfer. He has shown he makes really good cuts to the hoop. That is a knack that I'd love to see more players make.

- Perkins was great. My expectations were already high, but he really filled the stat sheet. He also settled the team down to stop the Bucknell run. One other thing - For a portion of the game, I just focused on watching him. I liked what I saw of him on defense. He does a good job of not losing track of the players he is defending, while putting himself in range to provide help. He should keep his hands up more. He is a potential star.

- Thrower had a good spurt on offense and shot the ball well on a few possessions. He made some attempts to get to the hoop and got bottled up. It will take time, but I think he can get better if SD gives him the opportunity to stay out there.

On to St. Joe's!

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
11-09-23 03:49 PM - Post#358965    

A few more random observations.

I’ve seen bigger crowds lined up outside Apple Stores.

Weird having the students and the band in the East stands where they cannot see the video board. Wonder why they did that?

Nobody is going to make us forget Dingle, but Perkins will replace the minutes and much of the production. He can rebound as well as last night proved but this opponent made everyone in a white uni look great that way. The ones they missed were because they were contending with other.

Perkins is also a better running mate for Slajchert and he doesn’t need the ball in his hands as much as Clark and Jordan did. Clark, for his part needs to understand he doesn’t need to play hero ball especially when his shots are not falling.

Walker looks like a more refined version of Laz. Gerhardt is limited offensively but the rest of his game is already good enough to get Spinoso some rest.

Thrower made 3 clutch shots to help put away the Bison when it started to look dicey.

I’m perplexed by Holland. I made it a point to watch him away from the ball and he’s still having trouble getting involved in the offense although his defense was solid against some athletic if not highly skilled opponents.

I get the sense the rotation shuffling we normally see this time of year isn’t happening. The stating 5 looks set unless Smith replaces Holland and the 9 who will get regular minutes are also set barring injuries of course.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-09-23 07:51 PM - Post#358970    
    In response to Streamers

I would be extremely annoyed if Smith were to replace Holland in starting lineup. He brings strength and athleticism this team needs (and that last year needed as well to be honest). He is a very good offensive rebounder, can play with his back to basket as well and I think will be a very efficient scorer when team gets him ball in right places. He’s also a disruptive defender who will pile up blocks and altered shots. We would be way too small with Smith replacing him in lineup. Smith is much better as a defensive stopper off the bench and I think does very well in that role.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-09-23 08:15 PM - Post#358971    

Yes, and it seems to me that Laz and Walter are probably the guys Holland needs to watch out for. One of them could replace him in the starting lineup, I suppose.

Smith seems to be the 4th guard behind the three starters. I don’t think they play that small my putting them all together.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-09-23 09:09 PM - Post#358972    

In the past, Smith has also been the rare Quaker who is able to help bring the ball up when the team is pressed. I believe Thrower is competent here as well. Not sure how many other Quakers can get the job done here.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
11-09-23 11:32 PM - Post#358975    

I too want to see Holland prosper. If any of you can explain why he doesn’t get more touches on offense, let me know. Best case, he plays a larger role vs SJU and Nova and this becomes moot.

borschtbelt 
Freshman

Reg: 07-27-20
11-10-23 10:16 AM - Post#358982    
    In response to Streamers

I am also high on Holland's talent. Unfortunately he is the number 5 option on offense--and so it goes. Also, he plays the 4, and spends lot of time inside (where he can be effective). I think his quickness would have more impact as a wing--I'd like to see him blow by the other team's 4 from the wing.
One thing--I have no say in this matter.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

11-10-23 04:00 PM - Post#358985    
    In response to borschtbelt

I think the different points of view reflect the complicated story around Holland. He was one of our most highly regarded recruits. He has good athleticism, decent skills, and seems to work hard. He plays a position where we've been lacking. It is hard to understand why his role doesn't expand.

On the other hand, he doesn't have a spiky strength - scorer, rebounder, passer, shot blocker, defender. He is a decent defender, but he doesn't put too much pressure on the opponent as scorer or offensive rebounder. In other words, it's not clear he is a huge net positive on the strategic ledger of game play and there isn't a clear niche and role where he reliably imposes his will on the opponent. He did a very good job against John Jay, so hopefully some of his special strengths are starting to emerge. If I were advising him, I'd focus on being a lockdown defender at multiple court positions, the forward who moves the most without the ball on offense and defense, and the one who makes quick passing decisions and gets to the right position for rebounds and loose balls. He needs to be a constant pest to the other team. Those things will create his scoring openings to impact the game without having plays designed around him.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
11-10-23 05:23 PM - Post#358989    

I think that sums it up well. Thanks

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-10-23 11:20 PM - Post#359018    
    In response to Streamers

I’m kind of liking what all of the 4s are bringing to the table right now.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:13 AM