Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Northeastern        (Topic#27539)
mobrien 
Masters Student

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
11-14-23 10:34 PM - Post#359210    

Last year, we had a lot of good slashers who couldn’t really shoot. The result was an offense that was way less than the sum of its parts. This year, we have enough shooting and complementary skills that our offense has been greater than that sum in this admittedly very small sample. Mack had another extremely impressive performance, Lesmond made some tough shots to stretch the defense, and we just ran away with it despite Okpara struggling to finish pretty makeable shots around the rim.

Simon had a few nice moments as well, which is hopefully a sign of things to come. We really need him to emerge as our top option off the bench in the backcourt; every minute that Wojcik is out there continues to be an adventure of the worst kind.

The defense needs to get better, and we need a couple of guys to step up off the bench, but this team has a chance, which I didn’t think I would say a few weeks ago. There’s something here.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
11-15-23 12:35 AM - Post#359214    
    In response to mobrien

I watched some of this while working this afternoon and came away very, very impressed with Mack. Kid is a beast as a frosh. Harvard looks much better than expected, very strong inside and Mack ties it all together. Top 5 teams all off to a good start, Brown the only team as of now looking worse than expected in top 6.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
Northeastern
11-15-23 09:52 AM - Post#359225    
    In response to Mike Porter

I didn’t expect much from our men’s football, hockey and basketball squads this season. With the exception of hockey, neither did the prognosticators. Football has proven me wrong. Hockey, after losing its top 7 scorers and goalie from last years NCAA tournament squad, didn’t win any of its first 4 games (3 ties and a loss to powerhouse Quinnipiac), but upset #7 Cornell on Saturday. So, I’m changing my narrative to how men’s hockey has only lost one of its first 5 games.

As for basketball, I’ve got to stay I’m stunned. Coach Amaker is turning lemons into lemonade thus far. This team is without its top 6 scorers from the previous season, as well as two projected upperclassmen who were not only starters, but one of which - a captain from last year - simply opted to sit out this season. So, relying on Ajogbor and Okpara as its only returning rotation player, the Crimson are a very pleasant surprise at 3-0. While blowing out Northeastern, the announcers noted that Northeastern had been ranked 2nd among the 10 Division 1 teams in Massachusetts, Harvard 9th!

Our hot shooting may cool off and our lack of depth is scary, but - as with football and hockey - I’m enjoying our unexpected success. UMass and BC may quash my enthusiasm, but for now my kudos go out to the coaches and our small but resilient team core.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 11-15-23 09:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
11-15-23 11:59 AM - Post#359230    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I mean I can't praise Mack enough at this stage, but continue to be crazy impressed with Pigge's development. If we get even passable shooting from Lesmond (and adding Mack to the mix), we could have the inside/outside game we've been missing so much.

Fun opening week.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.173 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:09 AM