Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Marino Underrated; Shula Overrated        (Topic#276)
10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
12-20-04 11:22 AM - Post#1367    

As Peyton Manning closes in on 49 td passes, my thoughts turn to Dan Marino. When talking about the greatest qb's of all time, Montana and Elway are always mentioned before Marino. I suggest Marino was just as good if not better. Marino didn't get the rings, but imho, this was because of Shula and the Dolphins organization and not because of Marino. Shula never put together even a decent defense or running game (except for one year of killer b's) during Marino's long reign. As soon as Marino lost his skills, suddenly the fins defense got good, but Shula never could help Marino during the 12 or so years that he was the best qb ever by getting a defense that could do anything or a running back that could break a tackle.

No, Marino couldn't run like Elway, but he was shifty in the pocket. He didn't need to run. Marino carried Shula all those years. After the two super bowl victories, the fire went out of Shula. You could see in his eyes that he was satisfied and happy and his teams played like it, except for Marino, Duper and Clayton, the best td makers of all time, notwithstanding that the record will be broken in the next 2 weeks.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10437553.htm

Administrator 
Junior
Administrator
Reg: 11-08-04
Re: Marino Underrated; Shula Overrated
12-20-04 03:43 PM - Post#1368    
    In response to 10Q

This doesn't strike me as an issue of league-wide interest.

We'll do an off-topic board in the offseason. Let's at least stick to college hoops on here.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.158 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:48 AM