Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: FDU/Florham        (Topic#27633)
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
12-06-23 09:56 PM - Post#360236    

111 points is what happens when a good offensive team plays well against a D3 opponent. This is a good offensive team.

Latest KP

Offense 107
Defense 300

Notables
3% 39
Or 52
Assist/FG 100
FT shooting 300

Interesting that Penn does not apparently miss Dingle, except for free throw shooting.

Predicted ivy record of 6-8 tied for fifth.

Polonowski had 16

The Pussies are ranked 47. So much for teams that lost a lot from last year.

But isn't it great that Penn has two starting frosh guards with offensive ratings of 105 (Perkins) and 122 (Brown)

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
FDU/Florham
12-07-23 01:01 AM - Post#360257    
    In response to UPIA1968

We have very capable players and our young players look good. The issues with Holland and the rest is that they all perform in a similar band of performance with their individual strengths and weaknesses that show up from game to game. We don't have enough players that stand out in the league consistently. Slajchert will be one. Spinoso is a shooting touch away from being there. Perkins and Brown look like possibles now and probables later. I really like the rest of our players, but I'm not seeing that ability to impose themselves consistently from Holland, Gerhart, Smith, Thrower, Walter, and Laz. Each has had good games which have given us a taste, but I don't hold it against SD that he is making his choice and/or playing based on matchups or mood with them.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-07-23 01:19 AM - Post#360258    
    In response to Penndemonium

A few random comments:

- I went to the gym and put up a bunch of shots yesterday. Maybe I shouldn't be giving Spinoso shooting tips right now (although I think they would help him).

- I played an upper tier Div III player in his sport (not mine) recently. Let's just say I also won't be criticizing Dv. III athletes right now either. There are some good ones.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
12-07-23 09:04 AM - Post#360263    

Your second observation is something a lot of people ignore---ANY varsity college athlete is another dimension above the rest of us. Playing decent ball at Gimbel (even Court 1) doesn't compare with competitive basketball at any college level. So when you see a team like Penn, a below average Div 1 team destroy a Division 3 school, you should understand that a team of guys like us would lose in historically terrible fashion. Doesn't deprive us of the right to criticize, but never on the basis that the players are not uniquely talented. Well, Abe Okorududu was not uniquely talented even though he had the body of Mr. World---still would have kicked my butt.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Re: FDU/Florham
12-07-23 09:26 AM - Post#360268    

Give Gerhart time. I actually think he could end up being a better version of Spinoso before he is done. You’re correct is saying he will not have a significant impact this year unless Spinoso gets hurt or chronic foul trouble.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-07-23 09:28 AM - Post#360269    
    In response to palestra38

Duncan Robinson from the Miami Heat played at D3 Williams before transferring to Michigan.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-07-23 12:10 PM - Post#360275    
    In response to PennFan10

In his case, my recollection is that he was not substantially recruited by D-1 schools coming out of prep school and chose the high-end education. He always had size, but his shooting eye improved quite a but at Williams. This combination, along with his ability to defend the 4, made him attractive to Michigan.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-07-23 07:47 PM - Post#360298    
    In response to Streamers

A few other observations from the game about some less discussed players:

Polonowski showed me he can play. I'm not sure if he's a 2 or a 3 in our system, but he has a role. If he gets a bit bigger and stronger, he could be our answer at 4. He looked very confident shooting. Aside from that, he provided great help defense and then got back to his man quickly. He passed well and moved the ball. I just think he knows how to play basketball. We have to find more ways to use this guy.

Colin Chambers is a better shot than his father Paul, but his father's intangibles were some of the best to ever grace the Palestra.

Jake Hsu actually reminded me of Paul Chambers with his body language - playing the guard position like a ball-handling free safety.

Reese McMullen - got to finally show a bit of his game with good control and a very long shot.

Chris Ubochi - man, I wish we could use him more. His screens really clear out space for ball-handlers. He can really block shots and impact the paint. He showed higher motor in the game than I saw in the past. He also showed some court vision with his passes. He can move without the ball. With a bit more physical rebounding and offensive skills, he could make an impact.

-

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.59 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:23 AM