Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Howard        (Topic#27652)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-12-23 05:28 AM - Post#360542    
    In response to Streamers

Slajchert had a heck of a game. He has really come into his own this season. He seems like he can do anything out there. Today, he was hitting any three that he was able to take a step into. When he is hitting outside shots, he is hard to stop. If he also had a dead-eye step-back, he'd be playing like Trae Young. I'd love to see him dominate the Ivy season. He can be our wildcard against Ivy teams that know most of our sets.

This team really does know how to play. Between Slajchert, Brown, Perkins, Smith, Spinoso, and Laz, the ball just moves around. We have enough ball handling to confidently handle the press, and multiple guys can hit an open shot.

Watching Jelani doing the red and blue brought a tear to my eye. I hope Penn crowd gave him a great welcome in the pregame introductions.

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
12-12-23 06:57 AM - Post#360545    
    In response to Penndemonium

We did, a pretty good welcome to a very classy young man. I hope Howard wins it's conference so that he and Seth Towns get to experience the tourney.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Howard
12-12-23 10:04 AM - Post#360554    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
We win and we even cover.

Army-Navy for sure will be the featured Bad Beat on SVP tonight. And if you don't know what happened in that football game, worth checking it out.

Much to my shock, Army-Navy was a no show, but the silver lining was that Yale-Fairfield MBB was the headliner on the over/under.

Edited by penn nation on 12-12-23 10:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-23 10:47 AM - Post#360556    
    In response to penn nation

I watched on my phone which is not always the best way to see a game. Even so - it seemed this fairly young team did a good job handling pressure and traps thrown at them by a fairly athletic Howard team. This hasn’t always been a Penn strength and it was a pleasant surprise.

This team could surprise people when they get to the league round robin.

I join others in saluting Jelani, a great Quaker and an even better young man.

palestra38 
Professor

12-12-23 11:00 AM - Post#360557    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I think Howard has an interesting team, but at this stage of their careers, Jelani and Towns are not particularly athletic. George Smith blew by Jelani on one notable occasion and Towns has no first step anymore. Those guys, however, might be Howard's most skilled players. But it was nothing like Kentucky, who just smothered us with all 5 guys.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Howard
12-12-23 12:53 PM - Post#360567    
    In response to palestra38

Agreed. Howard was athletic, big, and well organized. Williams showed his leadership chops and willingness to do anything to help his team win. This was a good win against a team that is similarly ranked to Penn but clearly dangerous.

It was touching to see so much passion from Howard and Towns - to be out there so many years after the other players. The announcers pointed out that most of the players probably knew little about who those two were. Those guys deserve a great season. Williams is a physical and determined guard, but he still didn't appear to be a dead-eye shooter. Towns has the shot, but didn't have the explosiveness that he had in his peak. Both are warriors.

It will be interesting to see if Slajchert can take himself to the next level as a senior team leader who can carry and guide the team in tough situations. He is showing that potential in the early season.

palestra38 
Professor

12-12-23 01:06 PM - Post#360568    

Do I take it that "Howard (the Player)" is Jelani Williams?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-12-23 01:19 PM - Post#360569    
    In response to palestra38

Yes. Didn't get enough sleep. Edited.
  • palestra38 Said:
Do I take it that "Howard (the Player)" is Jelani Williams?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-12-23 01:27 PM - Post#360570    

Anyone know what type of NIL players like Williams and Towns might be able to get? These guys are in the 26 year-old range. While I think the college athletics experience is a good enough reason to play the sport, I hope these guys get a bit of money.

Actually, anyone know what kind of money our guys or Ivy basketball players generally are getting? Are the Ivies working together (or colluding if you see it that way) to keep balance in this area?

Final question, now that my mind is on the business side of sports. Does anyone have any idea whether football and basketball are profit centers or cost centers for Penn athletics? They are probably our only meaningfully revenue generating sports...

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
12-12-23 02:23 PM - Post#360571    

While I don't know the factual answer, I'd be pretty shocked if FB makes money. You have over 100 athletes plus many coaches, and expensive equipment to boot, and play in front of only a few thousand fans each game.

Clearly, BB has a lower level of expenses, fewer athletes and coaches and gets some nice checks for the "guarantee" games though they do have more road games where T&E expense occur. With that said, I'd be surprised if BB makes money but it would seem to have a better chance.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Re: Howard
12-12-23 02:25 PM - Post#360572    

• Penndemonium Said:
Agreed. Howard was athletic, big, and well organized. Williams showed his leadership chops and willingness to do anything to help his team win. This was a good win against a team that is similarly ranked to Penn but clearly dangerous.

I thought Howard was anything but well organized. Penn came out a half step slow at everything, as if they were unprepared for their defense’s full court aggression. That’s what led to the early Bison lead. Once Penn finally woke up (which included some early yanks by Steve of Spinoso and Perkins, in particular) and started playing instead of sleepwalking, they shredded Howard’s disorganized D, especially in the second half when they took advantage of HU’s failure to rotate on anything. Howard may end up a dangerous team if they can fix that stuff, but they weren’t last night.

Here’s what Kenny Blankeney had to say after the game:

"I thought they did everything to test us, physically and mentally, and we did not meet the challenge. They really brought the fight to us tonight, and it knocked us back on our heels and we never physically, mentally accepted their fight.“

"We're not a very good team right now. This is the first time we've had this whole group together, and we haven't had much time to practice together. I think since August, we've had maybe four practices with this group. ..."

"... In saying that, the competitiveness, the lack of discipline is something that is really disappointing for me right now."

"I couldn't even get a rotation b/c at this point in time, I don't have the confidence to be able to play a lot of our guys right now. Just because guys haven't had the reps and haven't had the chance to practice. We literally have guys who have practiced 2-3 times."

And here’s Jelani postgame reinforcing that latter point:

"This is a huge stretch for us. I think finally having Dom back and having a couple guys who have been in and out of the lineup, we get a chance to practice together and figure out a rotation.“

Jelani, BTW, was very much the player-coach throughout the game with his teammates. There was a moment early in the first half when the aforementioned Dom Campbell fouled Spinoso on a shot attempt. While the FTs were happening, Williams spent a good 90 seconds in an animated one-on-one sideline conversation with Campbell right next to Blankeney, in which Jelani was clearly giving some pointed intstruction. Blankeney never said a word, let Jelani do all the coaching. It won’t be a surprise if he ends up on Blankeney’s staff or with another team immediately after his eligibility runs out, if that’s what he wants to do. His alma mater, for example.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 12-12-23 02:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-12-23 03:32 PM - Post#360575    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I know I've harped on this before, but I can only imagine what Jelani's career could have been like without the injuries. He was just so explosive as a young man. His intangibles would have really been something with that explosive element. That said, even years later, his shot isn't where it needs to be to complete him as a player.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-12-23 03:39 PM - Post#360577    

Found this.

https://meacsports.com/news/2023/3/1/mens-ba sketba...

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
03-17-24 04:13 PM - Post#365575    

Anyone know what happened to Jelani?
Hasnt played since Dec, saw him on bench today in street clothes

mbaprof 
Senior

03-18-24 05:50 PM - Post#365762    
    In response to mbaprof

broken arm

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-18-24 06:08 PM - Post#365771    
    In response to mbaprof

It took my way too long yesterday on Twitter and article searching just to see them reference an injury but nothing more. Thanks for figuring it out. Guess he’s out for the game. What a shame.

mbaprof 
Senior

03-19-24 04:26 PM - Post#365869    
    In response to Quakers03

Got it from a current Penn player who is friendly with him
Looks like Jelani might be eligible for another year based upon appearing in only 9 of 34 games. He can join Seth Townes in a phd program!

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-19-24 08:29 PM - Post#365890    
    In response to mbaprof

It would be great to see those two guys earn their doctorates.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.904 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:51 PM