Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: WBB vs. Columbia        (Topic#27756)
SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
01-21-24 01:47 PM - Post#361954    

Tigers dominated the second half for a 15 pt. win last night. Tigers were the better team, with the emphasis on team, as Columbia was Abby Hsu and not much else. Maddy St. Rose, Ellie Mitchell and Skye Belker were terrific last night. Belker in particular was outstanding. Not so much for her scoring but for the defensive job she did on Hsu. Hsu got free for a couple of back doors, but other than that, Belker really made her work. At least two of Hsu's threes were with someone else guarding her and the foul in the last second of the first quarter was not Belker. The game, to me was reminiscent of numerous games against Penn in previous years. Hsu finally scored some points against the Tigers but wasn't overly efficient. When you take more shots than you score points, that's not a super productive game. Similar to what Padilla had done against us in years past. Like was often the case against Penn, no one other than Hsu really did much. Wiess was the only other player in double figures with 12 but had two late baskets to get there, both when the game was pretty much decided. The Tigers made the Henderson sisters a nonfactor and while Collins got off to a quick start, she was fairly invisible the rest of the way, particularly in the second half.

Chet Nweke had great game after getting her first start. Also, have to give kudos to Ashley Chea for the job she did running the point for close to half the game because of Chen's foul trouble. Chea didn't fill up the stat sheet but her floor game was solid. Ellie Mitchell was her usual self, grabbing 15boards and contributing on offense with 14 pts. She finished well around the rim yesterday.

A couple additional notes. Mitchell went over the 1,000 mark for rebounds in her career. A remarkable achievement. All three of the Tiger's threes came in the first quarter. Chen only played 21 minutes due to foul trouble. I have a hard time believing Columbia or Harvard could play that well for an extended period of time against a quality team without Hsu or Turner.

Tigers certainly in the driver's seat now. Puts added pressure on Columbia and Harvard to keep pace when they play each other. Although it really doesn't change anything for the ILT and the NCAA bid.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-21-24 02:46 PM - Post#361959    
    In response to SecS3

Excellent recap and convincing win for the Tigers after Columbia put together a big run at the end of the first half to take the lead.

Your point about Chen is spot-on, Tigers did not fold when she left the game and so impressive that the first-years Chea and particularly Belker played such pivotal roles in securing the victory.

Chet Nweke’s first-ever start was a masterstroke by Coach Berube and Chet stepped up and played well.

After the game Coach Griffith referred to Mitchell as the “heart and soul” of the Tigers. She was outstanding and a big reason the team responded so well to Chen’s absence.

Rematch in Levein will be another pitched battle.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
01-21-24 03:42 PM - Post#361960    
    In response to Tiger81

Before Princeton, Belker and Chea played together for the same club team in the LA area, Cal Storm Team Taurasi, and it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRDicPuUdA

Yesterday, they executed a really nice back door play (not the first time) and when they're in the game together always seem to be in sync. I can see them as the starting back court next year with St. Rose as a wing.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-21-24 06:46 PM - Post#361974    
    In response to Tiger81

That was a terrific game until the Tigers pulled away at the end. I was kind of taken aback about how ungracious coach Griffith was after the game, mumbling about how they didn’t play well. Really took her own team to task.

https://gocolumbialions.com/watch/?Archive=7951&a m...

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-21-24 06:54 PM - Post#361975    
    In response to TigerFan

That has been her MO for quite a while. Unfortunately, IMO.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
01-21-24 07:02 PM - Post#361977    
    In response to sparman

I actually thought Coach Griffith was much less negative and harsh compared to previous losses to Princeton when she questioned her team’s toughness and desire. But she rarely is gracious in the sense of giving credit to her opponent.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
01-21-24 08:52 PM - Post#361981    
    In response to Tiger81

I agree. I too thought she was a lot less negative and harsh than she has often been in the past. The comment I didn't care for was her saying that the official that called the foul on Hsu on her collision with Nweke controlled the game. If there was a complaint about the officiating, it's that Kitty Henderson pushes off with her off arm every time she drives to the basket when closely defended. Some officials call that frequently and some almost never call it unless the arm wraps around the defender. Columbia didn't lose because they didn't play Columbia basketball, they lost because Princeton wouldn't let them, and they didn't adjust well.

I'm with Albert in looking forward to seeing Belker and Chea as the guard tandem for years to come. Similar to the anticipation of being able to watch Littlefield and Meyers for three years. We all know how that turned out so let's hope this pairing is a bit more fortunate. Either way, our guard play is in good hands for the foreseeable future. I've said it before but, yes, Chea can really pass.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-21-24 10:11 PM - Post#361985    
    In response to SecS3

I’ll confess that I haven’t followed the Tiger women closely enough to know about coach Griffith’s tendencies. Glad I missed the worst.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-22-24 05:00 PM - Post#362020    
    In response to TigerFan

Berube, unlike Megan, is a class act. (Don’t understand what AO sees in her!). But both coaches are great recruiters.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
01-23-24 12:39 PM - Post#362033    
    In response to Tiger69

Interesting that Griffith has 2 transfers on her roster, 1 from Bucknell (she's from my hometown) and 1 from Maryland.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
01-23-24 01:39 PM - Post#362034    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Interesting piece by Steve Silverman in IHO on the Columbia game:

https://ivyhoopsonline.com/2024/01/22/how-prince to...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.691 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:45 AM