Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Question        (Topic#27759)
The Pine 
Freshman

Reg: 02-22-15
01-23-24 02:50 PM - Post#362038    

For everyone asking for SD's head, I have a question..... Dingle transferred, not his fault. Martz retired, not his fault. Slajchert got injured also not his fault. Therefore, this year the starting five could have been Dingle, Slajchert, Perkins, Spinoso and Martz with a deep bench. That's not too bad. Coaching decisions aside, it appears he recruited a decent team for this year that just didn't pan out. It happens, but don't you think he did his job?

I'd like to know the forum thoughts. Be nice please. BTW, I am neither an SD fan nor foe.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Question
01-23-24 03:04 PM - Post#362039    
    In response to The Pine

Well, he had all 3 of those guys last year with a 17 point lead at Princeton at halftime with the title on the line and came out tense and played not to lose. Princeton didn't even play that well and we lost. Time and time again, Steve's teams fold down the stretch--we lose far more close games than we win. I grant you that he got a tough break this year, but you make your own chances. He had the chance last year and lost 3 times to Princeton when he clearly should have won one and had a good chance to win a second. He was outcoached at Cornell and Dartmouth, which made second half adjustments and he didn't. Guys like Spinoso who has some great ability, have not really improved like we see on teams such as Princeton and Yale. His one winning team was with players he inherited and had a bunch of seniors who were coaches on the floor. I was about the most optimistic Penn fan on earth before 2 seasons ago---he has lost me.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-23-24 03:38 PM - Post#362041    
    In response to palestra38

I don't disagree with any of your points, but I will respond the way I always do in these situations to say: "Where will you go to find a better replacement?" It's never a good idea to fire someone without considering this.

BTW do we know SD's contract status?

The Pine 
Freshman

Reg: 02-22-15
01-23-24 04:31 PM - Post#362047    

All fair points, but one could argue that Princeton was just a superior , more experienced team. They did make it deep into the tourney against power teams. Nevertheless, SD put the team in a position to win both the Ivy title, and advance to the Ivy Tourney final. That's not too bad. Most teams weren't even in that position. However,I do agree his teams have been terrible in OT, in close games, too Dingle-centric without sharing the ball and, if you have the nation's #2 scorer and don't win, well c'mon.

palestra38 
Professor

01-23-24 04:57 PM - Post#362048    
    In response to The Pine

No one can take anything away from Princeton. They made a great run in the NCAA's. But we had the title in our hands and couldn't hold a 17 point lead and also had a lead in the final 2 minutes in the playoff game that we also lost. How many in a row have we lost to Princeton? Which as a Penn fan is absolutely unacceptable.

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-23-24 08:04 PM - Post#362053    
    In response to Streamers

Hamilton, NY

A Penn alum who has overachieved consistently with far less resources and far fewer advantages. No brainer. Should be a 15 second coaching search.

91Quake 
PhD Student

01-23-24 08:08 PM - Post#362054    
    In response to 91Quake

And consistent mediocrity and incredible apathy about the program should be enough reason for a change.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-24-24 05:12 AM - Post#362057    
    In response to 91Quake

Palestra38, the whole 17 point lead Princeton thing is old news now. Honestly it's just tiring. I'm not disagreeing. But WE'VE HEARD YOU ALREADY. Hundreds of times. Please. It's like listening to my mother-in-law who tells the same stories again and again. She unfortunately has dementia, so has good reasons to be a broken record. You have plenty of good (other) insights to share.

If you give this a rest, I'll stop talking about Spinoso's shooting touch and Paul Chambers' defense.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-24-24 10:00 AM - Post#362061    
    In response to 91Quake

• 91Quake Said:
Hamilton, NY

A Penn alum who has overachieved consistently with far less resources and far fewer advantages. No brainer. Should be a 15 second coaching search.

I agree he would be on the list, but based on what little we know, there is little reason to believe he wants to break his lengthy contract, even to come back to Philadelphia. If alums are preferred, Bowman and Toole are out there as well. I would think both might be more interested.

Of course, all of this is just idle speculation. My point was they would need to have someone lined up before cutting SD along with a healthy recruiting budget.

palestra38 
Professor

01-24-24 12:08 PM - Post#362064    
    In response to Penndemonium

LOL. Well, if people stop asking questions about Donahue and his status, I won't bring it up again. Sorry, but I'm still grinding my teeth over that second half.

palestra38 
Professor

01-24-24 12:09 PM - Post#362065    
    In response to Streamers

It's not going to happen. So any speculation is simply over whether it should happen, which probably is a waste of time.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-24-24 01:08 PM - Post#362068    

• palestra38 Said:
It's not going to happen. So any speculation is simply over whether it should happen, which probably is a waste of time.

Agreed...

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-24-24 01:17 PM - Post#362069    

Thanks. To be honest, it only registered to me as one of several crazy comebacks in the Penn-Princeton rivalry - but I know it felt different to you. Honestly all of them were utter collapses by either team. It is an emotional rivalry. It's just that there are only about 5 of us who are posting and care about the team these days, so no point repeating!

• palestra38 Said:
LOL. Well, if people stop asking questions about Donahue and his status, I won't bring it up again. Sorry, but I'm still grinding my teeth over that second half.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-24-24 01:23 PM - Post#362070    

Are the Ivies in a good position with regards to the other conferences to attract established head coaches? It seems that the scholarship, NIL, and admissions disadvantages are becoming a bigger stretch.

Time for all of you to start sponsoring NIL! I'm a passionate fan, but am way too frugal for that.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-24-24 02:33 PM - Post#362073    

Curious when there will be an opening to test this. Is there any other conference where the shortest tenured coach is in their 8th season? The Ivy just doesn’t fire coaches, for better or for worse. And we have a really good group of coaches right now. Even Engles, who seemed most vulnerable to firing coming into this year, seems to have the ship turned around.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-24-24 06:57 PM - Post#362080    

P38. Thanks for reminding me about that game. I was grinding my teeth in the first half. And also during the second loss to yale who came back from 20 down to take the regular season series from us. It’s ugly. But at some time or other it happens to (mostly) all of us.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-25-24 12:49 AM - Post#362082    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
P38. Thanks for reminding me about that game. I was grinding my teeth in the first half. And also during the second loss to yale who came back from 20 down to take the regular season series from us. It’s ugly. But at some time or other it happens to (mostly) all of us.

That was kind of my point. It happened to both Fran Dunphy and Pete Carrill too. Both are legendary coaches. It's fine with me if that is the last straw for P38, but the recruiting inconsistency and the team's defense over the years is a bigger concern for me.

palestra38 
Professor

01-25-24 09:02 AM - Post#362085    

Ahhh, but it didn't happen consistently to either of them. Losing close games consistently and losing to Princeton consistently is the unique talent of this current coaching staff.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

01-25-24 11:12 AM - Post#362093    

Turns out that my dentist is a Quaker women’s basketball alumna. She knows all about people who grind their teeth!

palestra38 
Professor

01-25-24 11:47 AM - Post#362096    
    In response to Tiger69

You still an exile in Cabo?

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
01-25-24 03:01 PM - Post#362103    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:

Of course, all of this is just idle speculation. My point was they would need to have someone lined up before cutting SD along with a healthy recruiting budget.

And that's the key issue for me. I think one (admittedly not the only) reason Steve has been less successful than we would have hoped is that he is under-resourced. If the university is to attract a coach who would be a clear step up, it would need to put the various necessary resources in place to facilitate effective recruiting.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Question
01-25-24 07:31 PM - Post#362125    
    In response to Silver Maple

• Silver Maple Said:
  • Streamers Said:

And that's the key issue for me. I think one (admittedly not the only) reason Steve has been less successful than we would have hoped is that he is under-resourced. If the university is to attract a coach who would be a clear step up, it would need to put the various necessary resources in place to facilitate effective recruiting.

Based on what evidence? I have no inside knowledge to know either way, but I do know the university surely invested a lot in the facilities that recruits have to work with (and which they've shouted about). I'd love to hear factual evidence of this staff having less resources than the rest of the Ivy League (including Princeton who literally chased off coaches by not paying enough, yet still is the top 1/2 team for a long while now). I tend to doubt it, but don't know either way.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
01-25-24 07:35 PM - Post#362126    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
I don't disagree with any of your points, but I will respond the way I always do in these situations to say: "Where will you go to find a better replacement?" It's never a good idea to fire someone without considering this.

This is a rather wild suggestion. In what other profession do you have to have a replacement ready before you can even consider moving on from someone? How can you possibly know who truly would be interested until there is an actual position available? Can you put out feelers, of course, is that the same as inviting someone in for a real interview? No.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Question
01-25-24 08:53 PM - Post#362129    
    In response to Mike Porter

I agree you don't necessarily need to have a successor, but you do need to have confidence you can attract a good one.

I really don't know how to allocate responsibility for our mediocrity. Here's what I suspect, but with no first-hand knowledge:

1. Steve Donahue is a great guy, but isn't a great closer in signing recruits.

2. Donahue and staff aren't pressing every button of the recruiting value chain to optimize recruiting. You need to be the best at communicating, prioritizing, building out your relationships with coaches, getting to know families, creating vision, and more. You can't be great at 2 or 3 of these categories. You have to be the best at each. I get the feeling our staff doesn't work hard enough. Even though I thought it was distasteful and inappropriate that Amaker went to see Rosen at the supermarket, I absolutely respected the work ethic. Our coaching staff doesn't appear to hustle enough. Our team seems to want to play recruiting straight. They seem to want the players to love them back instead of just flat out selling.

3. Our results over recent years aren't terrible, but they aren't going to be the reason winners will join our program.

4. I do get the feel that the administration doesn't really care much about athletics and basketball. They want to put out sports program fires, not to support the programs to make them champions. They do not seem to make sure coaches are accountable for excellence. They just want to avoid problems.

5. I get the feel that something isn't right with financial aid, admissions, NIL, coach salaries, or something else. I don't know what it is exactly.

Recruits and families can sense when a coaching staff has these things all working together to create a winner and be a great place for their kids. I am guessing that everyone respects Donahue and trusts him with their kids, but they probably don't think he has the full cohesive package for their kids' experience.

This is all conjecture based on our recruiting results, press reporting, NYCHoops, and general lurking around the program. We'd know by now if SD was the full package. He's a partial package and that doesn't set you up for perennial championships. Clearly Amaker is a partial package too - almost the opposite half of Donahue.

I like what some young hungry coaches like Brian Earl, Mitch Henderson, Langel, and others are doing. I think this generation of recruits connects better to those type of guys. They also seem more in touch with modern basketball generally.

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
01-25-24 09:48 PM - Post#362131    

• Penndemonium Said:

I like what some young hungry coaches like Brian Earl, Mitch Henderson, Langel, and others are doing. I think this generation of recruits connects better to those type of guys. They also seem more in touch with modern basketball generally.

James Jones is 60 years old so he's not young but here are his Ivy League wins in the last 10 years from 2013-2023 (so all years except the canceled 2021): 8,9,11,13,9,9,10,11,11,10 . That's 101-39. So it's not just players connecting better with young coaches.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-25-24 10:10 PM - Post#362133    
    In response to Bryan

And the thing is, people like to harp on SD being so predictable, but so is Jones. You know exactly the kind of team you're going to play, year in and year out.

And they do it very well--that's the difference. Predictability does not necessarily lead to being beat.

• Bryan Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:

James Jones is 60 years old so he's not young but here are his Ivy League wins in the last 10 years from 2013-2023 (so all years except the canceled 2021): 8,9,11,13,9,9,10,11,11,10 . That's 101-39. So it's not just players connecting better with young coaches.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-26-24 12:23 AM - Post#362137    

• Mike Porter Said:
  • Streamers Said:

This is a rather wild suggestion. In what other profession do you have to have a replacement ready before you can even consider moving on from someone? How can you possibly know who truly would be interested until there is an actual position available? Can you put out feelers, of course, is that the same as inviting someone in for a real interview? No.

It is certainly true in the business world. In my own career, I know I was taught, and always practiced, the discipline of being very reluctant to fire someone for performance unless I had someone in mind to replace them that I believed would be an improvement. I expected the same practice from the managers who worked for me. Of course, the middle management positions I am referring to are far more fungible than D-1 coaches, but why would you fire one of those unless you were confident you could find a superior replacement? SD has his flaws, but the list of high potential superior replacements with some level of availability cannot be all that long.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-26-24 04:39 AM - Post#362139    
    In response to Bryan

Of course some old coaches perform well and connect well too. That doesn't negate my point that several less experienced coaches are doing a great job. If I used your logic, I could refute your point with the simple fact that Mitch Henderson outperformed James Jones.

• Bryan Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
01-26-24 05:30 AM - Post#362140    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
  • Mike Porter Said:
  • Streamers Said:

It is certainly true in the business world. In my own career, I know I was taught, and always practiced, the discipline of being very reluctant to fire someone for performance unless I had someone in mind to replace them that I believed would be an improvement. I expected the same practice from the managers who worked for me. Of course, the middle management positions I am referring to are far more fungible than D-1 coaches, but why would you fire one of those unless you were confident you could find a superior replacement? SD has his flaws, but the list of high potential superior replacements with some level of availability cannot be all that long.

Interesting, I'm in the business world, but this has not been my experience at all personally. Ideas for who you might want to look at or places you want to look for candidates? Sure. A locked in ready replacement? Can't say I recall that unless a very specific case of elevating someone already on the team. I have been more in the tech startup business world though, so if your experience was in bigger corporate (you mention middle managers, not a lot of that in my space), I could see that being different/more the case there.

I'm not saying a change is going to happen because I doubt it will (sadly). But your premise sounds like a losing proposition from the start doesn't it? Hard to argue these last 8 years as much better than average (I didn't do the math, but I would guess the average KP rating over the seasons is probably about dead middle of D1). So we are supposed to resign ourselves to the fact that is the best we can do?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-26-24 01:44 PM - Post#362155    

• Mike Porter Said:

Interesting, I'm in the business world, but this has not been my experience at all personally. Ideas for who you might want to look at or places you want to look for candidates? Sure. A locked in ready replacement?

At this point, we may be splitting hairs between having somebody signed, and knowing exactly whom you would call on short notice. This could be someone on your speed dial or someone on the hot list of the recruiting agencies

Can't say I recall that unless a very specific case of elevating someone already on the team.

Does the name Fran McCaffery ring a bell?

I'm not saying a change is going to happen because I doubt it will (sadly). But your premise sounds like a losing proposition from the start doesn't it? Hard to argue these last 8 years as much better than average (I didn't do the math, but I would guess the average KP rating over the seasons is probably about dead middle of D1). So we are supposed to resign ourselves to the fact that is the best we can do?

No, we are to accept the fact that SD will remain in place as long as he wishes as long as the team remains competitive and he runs a clean program. That is the Ivy Way. Of course, he may wish to leave or be replaced by a cheaper coach should we end up in D-III.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Question
01-26-24 02:38 PM - Post#362158    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
  • Mike Porter Said:

Can't say I recall that unless a very specific case of elevating someone already on the team.

Does the name Fran McCaffery ring a bell?

No, we are to accept the fact that SD will remain in place as long as he wishes as long as the team remains competitive and he runs a clean program. That is the Ivy Way. Of course, he may wish to leave or be replaced by a cheaper coach should we end up in D-III.

On first point, I meant in my work life, not college basketball. Yes I remember this, and yes I remember him not ever being our coach. I guess that is my point, you aren't going to know what is really going to happen until you decide the team you have just isn't good enough.

And on your second point, that is the definition of acceptance of mediocrity. I'm sure you're probably right as I said. What I can tell you is that my interest has already waned significantly and I see that across the board here (look at how dead it is for midseason). I won't watch the game live this weekend, and won't watch it at all if we lose. I hope they win of course, but that is about all I can muster. Wait much longer, and no one will be left to care because surely no new fans are being minted right now. Maybe that is the admin's strategy all along.

Either way, nothing kills a program as effectively as consistent mediocrity. No excitement when you don't win, and no hope when there is no chance for change.

This year will be 6 years since the last NCAA tourney spot (baring a downright miracle). 1 tournament in 17 years, with no next tournament trip in sight. It that isn't sobering, not sure what is.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-27-24 03:33 PM - Post#362187    

True. We can't blame Donahue, the AD, or this administration for the last 17 years. But your point is well taken.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-27-24 03:58 PM - Post#362212    

His usage of McMullen alone is enough for me. I just can’t take it anymore. He has ruined Penn basketball. Apathy is the worst thing that can happen and here we are. Who actually gets better?? You have a guy in Holland who is an obvious offensive weapon to be cultivated and instead we get to watch McMullen and Smith. How much more are we supposed to take?! What is their identity?! It certainly isn’t defense…We really just going to keep doing the same thing year after year? What has Nat done to deserve a lifetime contract?! While Princeton builds another dynasty.

When you have someone like a connected NYCHoops openly telling you where the problem lies, what more is there to say?! Thanks to the admin for ruining one of my favorite passions. This may be the last year I pay for season tickets. I NEVER thought I’d say that.

palestra38 
Professor

01-27-24 04:00 PM - Post#362214    
    In response to Quakers03

Well, good to see you back posting, anyway. I agree with you and did give up my season tickets after 30 years this year.

Quakers03 
Professor

Question
01-27-24 04:02 PM - Post#362217    

My anger brought me back. Can’t say I’ll stay for long. What a disgrace. Hope all is well with everyone.

Quakers03 
Professor

01-27-24 05:08 PM - Post#362258    

Two more things from this thread.

1 year later and I’m still far from over that despicable call on Spinoso by the former Harvard player official. Absolutely handed Princeton a path to the sweet 16.

If and when they finally move on, at least we won’t have to hear the whistling anymore. I wonder how bad it has to get before a change is made. More years of slightly above average play on the horizon!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.176 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:53 AM