Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Tiger women crack AP Top 25        (Topic#27777)
TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-29-24 09:08 PM - Post#362366    

The Princeton women are ranked #25 in this week’s AP Top 25, one place ahead of Courtney Banghart’s UNC Tar Heels.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
Re: Tiger women crack AP Top 25
01-30-24 02:28 PM - Post#362397    
    In response to TigerFan

I think you mean one place behind as UNC is #24. Who fell out of the top 25 that Princeton replaced? I doubt that the pollsters were that impressed by the win over Cornell to move them up two places.

The drubbing did allow the bench to see extensive action, thereby producing no eye-opening numbers for any of the starters, although Kaitlyn Chen did have a double double with 10 assists complementing her 12pts. The bench matched the entire Cornell team. Berube has a unique problem in that every one of her bench players could probably make significant contributions given the minutes required to gain experience and confidence. Tabitha Amanze showed more of her potential, albeit a bit difficult to properly assess for sure because Cornell was obviously overmatched. For some reason I'm very impressed with Taylor Charles in the limited playing time she's received up to this point. She appears to be very smooth with a nice outside shot for someone of her size. I keep thinking she could follow in the footsteps of Annie Tarakchian or Leslie Robinson. Someone who did not play a lot as a freshman or sophomore but became major contributors in their final two seasons. Don't ask me why, just one of those feelings, I guess.

Tigers should do nothing to hurt themselves in the rankings the next few weeks so whether they remain ranked or not will depend on what teams below them do. Fun while it lasts, nonetheless.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
01-31-24 11:38 AM - Post#362439    
    In response to SecS3

Princeton replaced Florida St. in the AP poll.

Tigers also slid into the top 25 in the Coaches poll this week.

Still second in the mid-major rankings. Columbia remains sixteenth. Harvard received fifteen votes and.....drumroll, Brown received one vote. This has to be a first, no? Congrats to them. At this time, I have to give Brown the edge for the fourth spot in the Ivy Tournament. Friday's game at Penn will be huge for getting a leg up on that.

Albert08 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-21-10
02-01-24 10:59 AM - Post#362501    
    In response to SecS3

Though it seems like a long time ago, Princeton's win over then #20 Oklahoma on Nov. 23, 2023, by 77-63, looks a little better after the Sooners' win over #2 Kansas State last night. I'll leave it to JDP and other stats experts to figure out how that affects a possible at-large bid.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
02-02-24 01:38 PM - Post#362564    
    In response to Albert08

The path to the Ivy Madness loss and the need for an at large bid really matters.

Princeton is a 32 NET today – I believe well in the safe zone for an at large bid. But in the path of needing an at large bid, they will suffer a loss and their NET will fall.

To frame the how easy to fall to the 40 NET bubble: Earlier this year #49 NET Villanova lost 82-76 in OT at then #118 NET Providence. Nova dropped 9 to 58 and the Friers went to 113.

If Princeton’s next loss is vs. a 150 NET or worse team, likely they would fall by 10+ and would need to win Ivy Madness. Why was Columbia on the bubble last season? Their 10 point NET increase after needing OT to beat Cornell at home from last season moved them from high 30s to high 40s. If they win the Cornell game by 10, they are dancing – even with the opening round loss to Harvard.

If the next loss is a finals loss to 64 Columbia or 79 Harvard, likely can stay top 40, if the loss is close … if it’s a 20+ blowout ….

As for the K State vs OK game – Princeton dropped by 1 to 32 in the overnight, down 2 since Sat … technically OK win should have helped – I would need to see who else on the Tigers’ opponents list also played. K State moved to 9 from 8 after a 3-point road loss, OK was flat at 42.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.171 seconds.   Total Queries: 20   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:10 AM