Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: women vs. brown        (Topic#27816)
cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
02-09-24 09:58 PM - Post#362927    

90-73. Columbia let it get uncomfortably close at 51/51, but then they went on a 15-0 run to put the game away.

Abby with 23, Collins who is really coming into her own in IL play with 21, and Nicole Stevens with a career high 17.

Lions win their 12th straight at home. Abby's 23 pts bring her to a tie for 5th place in the IL record book with 1962; in the next game, she should break Zimmerman's all-time Columbia record of 1973.

PeteD 
Masters Student
PeteD
Loc: California
Reg: 03-13-07
02-10-24 12:23 AM - Post#362931    
    In response to cc66

I was pulling for Abbey to break Zimmerman's record on her home floor, but it was not meant to be. Brown defended Abbey aggressively the entire game and *held* her to 23. The record will have to wait until next Friday night in Hanover... hope the Lion fans come out in bunches to see the momentous occasion.

The Lions showed they're a complete team tonight... with Abbey held in check for the entire 3rd quarter, the Lions were able to score 28 to put the game out of reach.

Kyla Jones had a really nice game for Brown... she scored almost at will and finished with 27 on only 17 shots. She looked like the best offensive player on the floor for most of the game.

PeteD 
Masters Student
PeteD
02-10-24 12:51 AM - Post#362932    
    In response to PeteD

I'm rarely critical of Coach G, but I think it's about time she gives all of Paige Lauder's minutes and some of Susie Rafiu's minutes to Blau Tor.

Paige was fantastic last season off the bench, grabbing key rebounds and shooting extremely well from beyond the arc (23 of 48), but for whatever reason, she looks out of sync this year... turnover prone and only 3 of 24 from deep. Rafiu is vastly improved over last season, but she is not a great finisher in the paint for someone her size and she commits too many TOs.

Blau is only a freshman and will be a key to the Lions' success in the future... this is the time to give her some experience so she'll be ready to contribute in March or at the very least be ready to go at the start of her sophomore season.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
02-10-24 12:21 PM - Post#362944    
    In response to PeteD

I do suspect that Coach Griffth will try to give some more minutes to Blau Tor before the Ivy League Championship begins, but that was probably not Coach G's major focus last night. Brown's coach tested Coach G with a whole set of tricks including having one player virtually gluing herself to Abbey Hsu for most of the game. Also, the Brown coach did the NJIT thing namely trying to knock off a superior team by shooting mostly threes with an occasional driving lay-up thrown in. Brown's coach almost pulled it off. She's very good and Brown had the Lions on the ropes in the the third quarter. What saved the day for the LIons is that the Lion beach led by super senior sub Nicole Steven came off the bench in the second half and put out the fire. Great basketball game last night. It will be fun to see whether Brown
or Penn captures the fourth Tournament spot. Penn and Brown are both good teams with very good coaches.

PeteD 
Masters Student
PeteD
02-10-24 02:38 PM - Post#362951    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I hope you’re correct and Coach G will see the writing on the wall… Lauder is just not helping very much right now.

Stephens has been absolutely super all year long. I believe she leads the league in ‘assist to turnover ratio’ (2.50)… Collins is near the top too. And Stephens is amongst the leaders in steals per 40 mins (2.06). She’s adept at getting her feet set to take a charge, and is becoming a legit threat from deep (18 for 46, 39.1%)… contributing significantly on both ends of the floor.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.203 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:23 AM